Popularity of candy cabinets today

Coin-operated games and arcades.
arcnl

Re: Popularity of candy cabinets today

Post by arcnl »

Gotta agree on the monitors part. Its kindof strange you can pick up a 29" sony trinitron TV for a tenner that completely blows 95% of arcade monitors that go for a lot more money out of the water. Sitting is great though, so candy cabs ftw. And honestly i dont really care if they are popular in the rest of the world or not. Arguably its a bit of a pain in the **** even, since now the fun little cabs go for insane prices that i don't want to pay (so i don't)
opt2not
eBay: n/a
Initials: OPT

Post by opt2not »

I can't play Robotron sitting down, so I got an original stand-up woodie cabinet for it.

Anything else, I prefer to sit down to play. Also, the CP on candies is a perfect spot to place your drink/ashtray/bong :lol: ... stand-up cabinet CP's are usually angled or there's no spot you can put things down on.

I also like the space-aged look of Candies. Reminds me of Space-shuttles. :)
Rvaswan1103
Please Continue...
eBay: Rogervaswani1979
Initials: RJV

Post by Rvaswan1103 »

I love candy cabs compared to the big wooden ones. I had a super contra cabinet (wood) at one time and finally got rid of it to get a candy cab.

I think they're sleeker and better built. I also like that they are on rollers and easy to move.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

I forgot to say, I still miss my woody:

:cry:
opt2not
eBay: n/a
Initials: OPT

Post by opt2not »

Forgot to mention, I prefer the mini/cabaret wood-cabinets rather than the full-sized ones.
Had full-sized wood cabinets before, and they were just too clunky looking (even if actually smaller in dimensions to a candy cab).
An old picture of my Robotron Cabaret (before recieving my second NAC which is now in that spot). Stands just over 4 feet high...such a great little cab:
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

I've been fasinated by all things Japanese since I was a young un, art, culture, food and of course gaming.

When I've bought new consoles (upto this gen) I've almost always bought an import JPN console and then later down when they have been out in this region for a while and games have become cheap I have also picked up the pal version so for me it a loical step. I like to sit when playing and I like how I can feel like im in a little corner of a Japanese arcade in my own home.

At the end of the day I just prefer the styling and functionality of candy's over woodys. I still have a woody in the garage although if I can get the monitor going I'll probably sell it and put the money towards another candy as it wouldnt look right next the the chopped Naomi and Neo. At the moment it's only gathering dust, but I still have lots of fond memories attached to it.

For me candy's just fit in my home better, they look sleeker, cooler, smaller and more astheticly pleasing and I've found them to be eaiser to move around and work on plus they are a lot more GF frieldly.

I know many people think they are generic, souless, white applience like things, but what do they know ;)
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

Code: Select all

I also like the space-aged look of Candies. Reminds me of Space-shuttles. 
Completely agree! Every time I sit down and power up the cab it's like I'm going on a space mission to destroy the alien/robot bad guys. It certainly brings out the kid in me, I think it's safe to say a lot of us are hanging onto part of our youth and fascination (obsession) with toys. Wood stand up cabs just don't have that shiny new toy look to them the way candies do. They certainly fit in with more modern and minimal decor than I giant wooden rectangular box does.

I understand the enjoyment people have from standing while playing arcade games, I do prefer it for fighting games honestly. But in my own home, if I'm playing extended sessions, standing while playing shooters would drive me nuts. For me it's not really a comparison of candy versus woody, I'd probably never buy a wood cab. It's more about candy versus CRT for me.

What do you think is more enjoyable, this ugly monstrosity (it does have its charm though...)

Or this...

mpoilu

Post by mpoilu »

Sadly, I'm one of the oldies here and grew up in the Space Invaders, Asteroirds, Defender era and all my arcade gaming was on woodies - I can count on one hand the times I played on a candy in an arcade - but the thought of a woody in a modern home compared to a sleek, (still) futuristic looking candy just doesn't work - I just wish there was an easily obtainable range of candys' around 20" - that as mentioned before 29" really is too big IMO but obviously the whole cab would shrink with the screen reduction. I still use the same Panny 19" CRT I bought new in 1991 for all my NTSC/RGB consoles MVS, PCE, SFC, DC, N64, PS, MD etc.

Are there any circa 20" Candys' to be found apart from the over-priced SNK 19's etc?
Max. Looking for Neo Geo MVS: ****Pulstar****, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Twinkle Star Sprites
Svovl
eBay: clemensnk
Initials: CNK

Post by Svovl »

mpoilu wrote:Are there any circa 20" Candys' to be found apart from the over-priced SNK 19's etc?
The (perhaps also over-priced) Capcom Mini Cute?
mpoilu

Post by mpoilu »

Svovl wrote:
mpoilu wrote:Are there any circa 20" Candys' to be found apart from the over-priced SNK 19's etc?
The (perhaps also over-priced) Capcom Mini Cute?
Ahh, thinking more a very traditional style circa 20" Candy though (ie Astro City)? Just seems strange that there was not a range of 20"s in regular Candy's to run alongside the big 29-ers. How about Chinese clones - any 20" models?
Max. Looking for Neo Geo MVS: ****Pulstar****, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Twinkle Star Sprites
getinmabelly
Please Continue...

Post by getinmabelly »

Hi all, first post!
(ill just post here since its almost what im asking about)

About to buy a candycab. (been digging around for information)

But i tend to come back to, what is the most common one?
I see ALOT of Sega Astro. But then its a mix.

I personally like the look of Super Neo 29.
Anyone mind telling me whats easy to get and why its Sega and Egret that is the popular ones? just the monitor turn thingy?

Anway, any information will help me =)

Cheers!
/Lars.
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

How about Chinese clones - any 20" models?
There is the Korean 21" Joy-Ro

ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

I have been thinking for a long time, which (dedicated) woody I'd like to get. It should have been pleasing to the eye, and that for several years into the future. I never found one, that matched that criteria.

When I saw a candy for the first time, I was sold. :awe:
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

If I ever get round to creating the space, I'd love to have a Nintendo woodie, preferably donkey kong.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

emphatic wrote:
Rossyra wrote:I would love a dedicated Frogotten Worlds wood :awe: ;) :awe: ;) :awe: ;) :awe:
I'd love a dedicated Rygar. I would also pay someone (because frankly, I suck at all sorts of carpentry) to build a non-GOS, dedicated Dungeons & Dragons cabinet using the Gauntlet cabinet as a base but using a 29" monitor instead. :awe:
That would be ace, I do like a bit of D&D. I wish I had 3 friends :(
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

mendo wrote:Why are you here then? Maybe you'd be more at home over on byoac
That's not fair. AO is a candy cab resource but we welcome all types of arcade gamer, you don't even have to own a cab to appreciate Japanese arcade games. System11 makes a good argument. Interesting thread is interesting.
Svovl
eBay: clemensnk
Initials: CNK

Post by Svovl »

SuperPang wrote:
That's not fair. AO is a candy cab resource but we welcome all types of arcade gamer, you don't even have to own a cab to appreciate Japanese arcade games. System11 makes a good argument. Interesting thread is interesting.
I completely agree!
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

and the Japanese did build some woodies at some point in history

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

getinmabelly wrote:Hi all, first post!
(ill just post here since its almost what im asking about)

About to buy a candycab. (been digging around for information)

But i tend to come back to, what is the most common one?
I see ALOT of Sega Astro. But then its a mix.

I personally like the look of Super Neo 29.
Anyone mind telling me whats easy to get and why its Sega and Egret that is the popular ones? just the monitor turn thingy?

Anway, any information will help me =)

Cheers!
/Lars.
Hi,

The SEGA cabinets are generally much easier to find replacement parts for. I lucked out when I got my EGRET II's, as both has all parts and are in quite good nick. Most SEGA cabinets can be fitted with the same control panels as well IIRC.

:awe:
mendo
Please Continue...

Post by mendo »

SuperPang wrote:

Yeah I agree, he wasn't really a jerk or anything, I was just a bit surprised to read it since this place is so candy-centric, and as I read it was all 'huh? Naw!' its all good.

Just to throw it out there, I actually like playing standing up on a woody, but only if its at someone elses place ;)