Ashtrays...

Coin-operated games and arcades.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: Ashtrays...

Post by crunchywasp »

Why the reluctance to sell these I wonder? I imagine the majority are manufactured in China and knocked out in abundance for pennies?
matrigs
Please Continue...

Post by matrigs »

someone explained a possible reason for this and told me that the people i asked might just have not grasped the reason someone would really want a 1$ blue ashtray with a few letters on it. like they would want to say - "mister, but this one is used. you definitely don't want this." if you think about it than this is in fact, kinda bizzare. try to imagine someone would ask at a macdonalds to obtain one of those hats the workers have on. or something similar - i guess that people wouldn't know what to do either.

about selling these - that's basically the same. taito has some shirts for share, different merch stuff. why would anyone ever want to buy a goddamn ashtray.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Good point and great McDonalds hat analogy :lol:
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

mad thieves in here :palm:
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Ah but's what with nearly everything about this hobby/interest? ...

Not a smoker nor an ashtray owner; but I can see if not an active component, it's another kind of reference to the hobby/scene of arcades - people have thousands of pounds worth of games/posters/toys and an ashtray is another part of that.

I'm sure no one likes the fact they're appropriated, however as frequent as they may appear in hobbyist locales I really don't think there are mountains of them going missing too feed some ashtray market, especially compared to the mountains damaged/discarded through general use and wear...
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Stealing ashtrays is pretty common in the west. I'm sure Japan has kleptomaniacs as well. And as the staff at TAITO station get confused with people asking about buying them, has anyone just asked "can I have an ashtray, please?" then just take it and walk out through the exit with it clearly in hand? If you're not allowed to take them, just flash the Gaijin card and say "souvenir?" and just act surprised. Worst case we will find out if it's allowed or not, it's not like they would call the cops for a confused, Gaijin tourist?
LoRez

Post by LoRez »

Apparently,if you can knock one out into it before you get spotted,you can keep it :awe:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

:lol:

They've the same promotion on in the George department of our local Asda right now. I grabbed myself a cracking pair of slippers and a new tie :awe:
rcaido
Please Continue...
Initials: rc

Post by rcaido »

If i ever go to Japan again, ill take those arcade stools...
matrigs
Please Continue...

Post by matrigs »

emphatic wrote:Stealing ashtrays is pretty common in the west. I'm sure Japan has kleptomaniacs as well. And as the staff at TAITO station get confused with people asking about buying them, has anyone just asked "can I have an ashtray, please?" then just take it and walk out through the exit with it clearly in hand? If you're not allowed to take them, just flash the Gaijin card and say "souvenir?" and just act surprised. Worst case we will find out if it's allowed or not, it's not like they would call the cops for a confused, Gaijin tourist?
given the politeness of these fellas this would probably even work. i guess you could also just take an ashtray still having a cigarette in your other hand just pretending to go out for a moment and have a smoke outside the venue, then just never return.

given the politeness of these fellas this might all work. i mean nobody would probably stop you. but i really didn't like the idea that the staff might get into trouble with their management for letting this one slip.

gray117 wrote:Ah but's what with nearly everything about this hobby/interest? ...

Not a smoker nor an ashtray owner; but I can see if not an active component, it's another kind of reference to the hobby/scene of arcades - people have thousands of pounds worth of games/posters/toys and an ashtray is another part of that.

I'm sure no one likes the fact they're appropriated, however as frequent as they may appear in hobbyist locales I really don't think there are mountains of them going missing too feed some ashtray market, especially compared to the mountains damaged/discarded through general use and wear...
you know you just would have to be there. these small ashtrays are like the most simple yet effective way of bringing you that real japanese arcade feel. and it's a great feel. i've been to dozens of arcades with different cabs, games, people, floors but every single place was connected by one thing - those round blue buggers. they are in your vision field when playing. they make you want them.

i mean like ray-ban wayfarers don't make you a hipster but boy are you close.
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

Swiping an ashtray on holiday might not seem like a big deal, but you're only adding fuel to the already fragile tourist in Japan stereotype.

You just make life harder for some of us normal folks that don't justify stealing over videogames. Knowingly buying stolen goods is just as bad.

Why not start walking out with arcade stools/posters/Boss Coffee machine/anything that isn't bolted down.

It would all look just as good to recreate your authentic Japanese arcade experience at home. :problem:
Last edited by NASguy on July 27th, 2012, 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
matrigs
Please Continue...

Post by matrigs »

as i said i'm not particularly proud about it.

that's mostly my biggest concern that after a month really trying to be the model tourist with all the japanese savoir vivre aspects in mind i spoiled it so easily.

well the damage is done. no use in justifying.
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

matrigs wrote:as i said i'm not particularly proud about it.

that's mostly my biggest concern that after a month really trying to be the model tourist with all the japanese savoir vivre aspects in mind i spoiled it so easily.

well the damage is done. no use in justifying.
Nah, not saying anyone is bad about taking one. They are probably .25 cent Chinese plastic, it's just not a great habit to encourage, which makes my view of the ashtrays in collections negative. People are basically showing off pictures of their stolen goods so proudly.

Can no one out there source similar trays and sell them screen printed? Shame is that would probably be illegal also.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

NASguy wrote:Can no one out there source similar trays and sell them screen printed? Shame is that would probably be illegal also.
Working on it. For the past couple of months.

The trays themselves aren't cheap, and getting someone that'll print a small run of them (they're tampo/pad printed) is fun.

"Similar" isn't good enough. It's possible to purchase cheap knockoffs in the UK in some nasty colourings, but the printing is the pain in the backside - it's not worth having a run of 500.
Casey120
The Fluffer
eBay: Tappygielen
Initials: CVW

Post by Casey120 »

I still have two that Daz made !

NASguy

Post by NASguy »

Those look great, very authentic. Buy a pack of SevenStars and smoke up. :awe:
Kaire
Please Continue...
eBay: lady_kaiulani
Initials: CMB

Post by Kaire »

You could just ask, like I did :D Got these in Osaka.
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

If no ashtray, where should I put my 100yen coins.....?

...and **** rusty, dirty, smelly old cabs.
repainting cab #4 now. :awe:
forum_attach.jpg
Scaffa
Please Continue...
eBay: casimpson1985
Initials: CAS

Post by Scaffa »

It's no different from people knicking the special pint glasses out a bar.

Looks stupid when they do it, the staff expect it (and groan) but in the comfort of your own home a Schofferhoffer in a Schofferhoffer glass is pretty damn good.
jase

Post by jase »

Lets share the ashtray love. :awe:

Here is my current collection. :)

Ashtray collection by harrisonj38, on Flickr

I'm still on the lookout for the elusive Capcom tray.