Going to Akihabara - Recommendations please

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Re: Going to Akihabara - Recommendations please

Post by Pete »

Try to venture out into the sticks a bit & don't make your whole holiday just about the city.
TadCool
'Slayer'
eBay: Daicombo
Initials: RAF

Post by TadCool »

Yao wrote:"Hey" is probably my favorite place in hole Japan :D
Ditto. 8-)
Candy Cabs 4 Life.
| WTB | Some Doodles I Do... |
moshpit
Fantasy Zone Finder
Initials: RON

Post by moshpit »

Yao wrote:Hi there,
just want to revive this, cause I'll be in Japan this spring. I've been to Akihabara several times and visited the known places for retro gaming (super potato, Trader 2 etc.)
So jelly :(
WARNING! A HUGE BATTLESHIP IS APPROACHING FAST!
Yao
eBay: YaoBoombay
Initials: Yao

Post by Yao »

moshpit wrote:
Yao wrote:Hi there,
just want to revive this, cause I'll be in Japan this spring. I've been to Akihabara several times and visited the known places for retro gaming (super potato, Trader 2 etc.)
So jelly :(
Don't be. One day we'll all be ninjas, gathering in arcade heaven, eternally playing retro games :D
Yao
eBay: YaoBoombay
Initials: Yao

Post by Yao »

Pete wrote:Try to venture out into the sticks a bit & don't make your whole holiday just about the city.
That's the plan. But I honestly have no idea where I could go. I'd love to spend a couple of days outside the city. Any recommendations?
meijin

Post by meijin »

You can join me for some action in Kansai ;) I'm in Kyoto in mid April and I will waste a lot 50 yen coins in the A-Cho :awe:
TadCool wrote:- Eat at Becker's, you won't regret. :-o
Wow, first time I hear that someone recommends Becker's except of me :awe:
This Burger store is awesome. I went to Japan for about 8 times and every time I went to Tokyo (with the night bus from Kyoto) the first thing I did was to go to Becker's. After a great breakfast there spending thousands of Yen was a easy thing to do^^
GaijinPunch
gay men guy

Post by GaijinPunch »

Yao wrote:
Pete wrote:Try to venture out into the sticks a bit & don't make your whole holiday just about the city.
That's the plan. But I honestly have no idea where I could go. I'd love to spend a couple of days outside the city. Any recommendations?
My favorite day-trip in Kanto is Kamakura. It's very Kyoto-ish, but w/o the ridiculous Shinkansen ticket cost, or the crowds... although it can be a bit busy at times. Not tons of variety in this set as I showed up at 2:30 MP in the winter, but [urlhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_england/sets ... 070820510/]here[/url] are some photos.

Nikko is another if you have a bit more time. Takao-san is another one that's a cool day trip, but not sure how it would work out in the winter. Pretty cold up there I'm sure.
darkcrono
Initials: ISF

Post by darkcrono »

Once again, up with the topic, I've been in many arcade parts shop in akiba such as MAK or G-front, but in Kyoto / Osaka don't know any, is there any place worth visiting around Osaka or Kyoto for arcade spares?
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

In Osaka you need to go to DenDen town. Also, most of the big arcade distributors are located in Osaka, however they are not places you can just go to without talking to them in advance.

I'm also going to second or third the "Akihabara is a dumb tourist trap" thing, along with "Becker's is **** awesome"
хорошо!