Arcade Casualties - the hobby where everything breaks

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Re: Arcade Casualties - the hobby where everything breaks

Post by Hewitson »

Is there a listing somewhere of which games are suitable for converting to Progear ??
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Hewitson wrote:Is there a listing somewhere of which games are suitable for converting to Progear ??
ImageImageImageImage
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Hewitson wrote:Is there a listing somewhere of which games are suitable for converting to Progear ??
:palm: I think progear is suitable :think:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
grobda
Please Continue...

Post by grobda »

I'm trying to fix a time pilot '84 pcb. it was working when it was stored so i figured maybe one chip had died.

many hours later ive found (so far) 4 dead 74157s and 2 dead 74139s, all fujitsu branded. all had stuck outputs. bad enough but most of replacements were pulls so everything took twice as long to replace.

the board still boots to garbage, but its different garbage. ive found a ram chip with an i/o stuck low so thats my next port of call, but the only replacements ive got are going to be pulls so im waiting for my desolder station to arrive before i tackle it.

on the upside the roadfighter bootleg i have that had a graphics fault turned out to be one broken track and was fixed in 5 minutes.
grobda @ jammaplus.com, ukvac.com, shmups.com and arcadeotaku.com
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Don't think I've managed to break too much stuff, but necking the original tube on my capcom impress was a bit of a :palm:
scogon
Please Continue...

Post by scogon »

my first CPS3 battery replacement went... poorly.

I decided to do it with the game on, just soften the solder, pull the old battery, soften the solder and add the new one.
At the last minute I decided to remove the old solder as well to keep it clean and stuff.... then I found out that copper solder wick conducts electricity.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

:palm: :cry:

Who would have thought that copper conducts electricity :awe: Ideally you should have been using flux too, I think fluids are generally fairly conductive also :awe:

I've been pretty lucky so far. I've done a load of **** that should have **** up/broken but I've gotten away with it somehow :shifty: [/jinx]
Shady994
Please Continue...
eBay: lmstolton
Initials: SDY

Post by Shady994 »

Seeing this thread reminded me I have a World Rally and a Tengai I need to fix. :(

PCB failures are one of the joys I guess.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

My broken games:

Storm Blade (no sound)
Time Pilot (no sound, might be missing -5V though)
Solomon's Key (no sound)
Perfect Billiards (no sound)
Rolling Thunder (some missing sfx, music works, might be a bad cap)
Three Wonders (randomly reboots)

:yawn:
porchio
Please Continue...

Post by porchio »

alienmame wrote:
Rossyra wrote:As good a reason as any to convert it to Progear :awe:
Converting to a different PAL is usually problematic in my experience.

Probably best just to repair that bad boy IMVHO

Cheers,

Ralph.
for future reference, ive got a load of PAL dumps available on my site including CPS2 ones
goatboy
eBay: henknieborg

Post by goatboy »

Some casualties i had/have which i can remember:
- Final Starforce PCB - Dead (repair pending, Got some video now)
- Batrider PCB - No sound, Amp and caps replaced. Happy ending.
- Blood Brothers PCB - No sprites
- Strikers 1945 PCB - Occasional sprite offset
- Sonic Wings PCB - Boss sprites offset
- Wyvern Wings PCB kit - Working, Game crashed ingame and never recovered. Dumped it.
- Taito Type-X mobo - Dead bios, No fix possible.
- NAC PSU - dead
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

porchio wrote:for future reference, ive got a load of PAL dumps available on my site including CPS2 ones
Indeed. :)

CPS2-BGSB1, CPS2-BGSB2, CPS2-BGSB3B and CPS2-C2VA3 complain about invalid transmission checksums. Presume they're still okay to use?
ImageImageImageImage
porchio
Please Continue...

Post by porchio »

strange, pm sent
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

emphatic wrote:My broken games:

Three Wonders (randomly reboots)

:yawn:
original ? I dont care about the others, but get this awesome game fixed dude

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

ZN-2 mobo red screen of death, but the EX2plus daughter board is still working 100%. It was my first PCB as well :( so I wont let my sentimental attachment get the better of me to get a replacement mobo. But apart from that, lessened the cabon foot prints of 2 crt tvs by decasing them and using the tube and chassis in arcade cabinets :) Also broken legs off netbooting security chip while trying to unplug it from the netdimm.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
grobda
Please Continue...

Post by grobda »

grobda wrote:I'm trying to fix a time pilot '84 pcb. it was working when it was stored so i figured maybe one chip had died.

many hours later ive found (so far) 4 dead 74157s and 2 dead 74139s, all fujitsu branded. all had stuck outputs. bad enough but most of replacements were pulls so everything took twice as long to replace.

the board still boots to garbage, but its different garbage. ive found a ram chip with an i/o stuck low so thats my next port of call, but the only replacements ive got are going to be pulls so im waiting for my desolder station to arrive before i tackle it.

on the upside the roadfighter bootleg i have that had a graphics fault turned out to be one broken track and was fixed in 5 minutes.
So I got the time pilot working. think it was 11 dead fujitsu logic all in. Just had one sprite fault left to fix.

I took a break and decided to play it for a couple of hours. it crashed, on reboot it goes into a reset loop. Back on the shelf for now.
grobda @ jammaplus.com, ukvac.com, shmups.com and arcadeotaku.com
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

goatboy wrote:- Taito Type-X mobo - Dead bios, No fix possible.
Just replace the motherboard with a generic MSI or whatever that fits the same CPU, RAM and graphics card. Only downside is you lose the fancy TAITO logo at bootup. If you're worried about the "custom" sub board, it connects to any generic COM2 serial header, generic AC97 audio header, and generic power/reset button headers. :shh:
Hewitson
Please Continue...

Post by Hewitson »

I had no idea you could do that... What would be involved in creating your own TTX? How do the controls connect, etc?
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

Hewitson wrote:I had no idea you could do that... What would be involved in creating your own TTX? How do the controls connect, etc?
The tricky part is having hardware that is compatible with the drivers installed on a game hdd. The standard TTX has Realtek audio, that's important. If you have the wrong hardware, the Win embedded install might BSOD (it's really stripped down to the bare essentials so it has no drivers other than the ones it needs).

The controls connect through a serial interface, because JVS is actually nothing more than a fancy serial port. The little PCB in the bottommost slot contains a break-out bracket for optical S/PDIF, power LED, reset button, a watchdog circuit that resets the motherboard if no JVS traffic is observed for more than x amount of time, a JVS dip switch module, and an RS-485 to RS-232 converter that translates JVS (fancy serial) into regular serial. That's what you connect to the COM2 serial header on the motherboard.
Hewitson
Please Continue...

Post by Hewitson »

I'm guessing these boards are not available as spare parts? Could someone please post a picture of one?