WTF Edward Randy: The Cliffhanger (Data East PCB)

Coin-operated games and arcades.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

WTF Edward Randy: The Cliffhanger (Data East PCB)

Post by capcomguru »

Why the heck is this board so darn expensive? I've been after it for a while now, and can't find one thats reasonable priced.

It can't be that rare... I managed to turn up 4x copies of it without really trying, however the ones that I've gotten price quotes on are STUPID expensive ($500++). WTF. Other PCB's on that data east hardware aren't even a fraction of the price, so it can't be that the hardware has some crazy rare/expensive components on it.

Any have the low-down on this one?
Molloy
Please Continue...
Re: WTF Edward Randy: The Cliffhanger (Data East PCB)

Post by Molloy »

Perhaps its to do with the fact it wasn't properly emulated in MAME until two or three years ago. It was probably the most popular game in my local snooker hall for ages. The graphics were mind blowing at the time. Quite an easy game to one credit as well once we'd had practice.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Molloy wrote:Perhaps its to do with the fact it wasn't properly emulated in MAME until two or three years ago. It was probably the most popular game in my local snooker hall for ages. The graphics were mind blowing at the time. Quite an easy game to one credit as well once we'd had practice.
I’ve never played it :oops: I guess I’d better boot up Mame & see what all the fuss is about

Someone sold one over at KC. I’m sure it was less than $300 at the time.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

markedkiller78 wrote:Someone sold one over at KC. I’m sure it was less than $300 at the time.
I need to get my hands on a sub $300 one. Thats reasonable for a early 90's game. $500+, NO THANKS. I really want this game, but I just can't justify that price. Its nuts!

But anyways, I've seen a couple of video clips and it looks super fun. There are very few games out there that I've never played before, and this is one of them. When I haven't played a PCB, I like to avoid the mame temptation and play it for the first time on my cab (in PCB form). I just really hope its worth the price of admission after I locate a decently priced one :D
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

The KC one was me, but guys, this IS rare. That's the only one I've seen appear on any forum for a long time.
I bought from the US from a chap who's on here too.
Was a good price he did it for in the end, close to $300 back then (although there wasn't massive demand back then, I think the original sales thread was up for a long time.)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

skykid wrote:(although there wasn't massive demand back then, I think the original sales thread was up for a long time.)
I still dont' think there's much demand for it LOL.

I'm probably the only dumbass here willing to pay market value for it haha.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

this is one of those games that occationally pops up on H-K resellers lists for peanuts, hardly reliable (mostly its $2-3-400 aswell) but ive seen it go as low as $4-50..

very cool game, gameplay reminded me alot of gunstar heroes but with very cool gfx.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

Hey, this game is cool! :P
http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=the-cl ... ail&id=475

it seems to be one of those solid classic arcade games that are actually fun to play. Unlike nowadays videogames :awe:

Go for it and blow 500 bucks
Vagina
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I'm sure mine was $2xx a couple of years back. As is often the case, word spreads and demand increases. I'd never heard of it until I saw footage of it, and I had to have it. Gets talked about more and more these days, and its not a common PCB.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

sven666 wrote: very cool game, gameplay reminded me alot of gunstar heroes but with very cool gfx.
That’s some praise indeed
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

It chucks around some pretty fancy 2D effects. Imagine Indiana Jones meets Earthworm Jim.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

SuperPang wrote:It chucks around some pretty fancy 2D effects. Imagine Indiana Jones meets Earthworm Jim.
Is that not the current celebrety couple Harrison Ford & calista flockhart?
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

markedkiller78 wrote:
sven666 wrote: very cool game, gameplay reminded me alot of gunstar heroes but with very cool gfx.
That’s some praise indeed
Hmm, I'd say that Sven's slightly overshot the mark there! :D

Like a lot of old Data East stuff, it can be very ropey indeed. In fact, the main challenge of the game is figuring out and overcoming the ropeyness. Graphics are gorgeous though, with a distinct style and some cracking cutscenes (just make sure you get the right version!)
However, compared to some of the spectacle throughout the game, the end is quite anti-climatic.

It has it's place as a collectors piece though, that's for sure.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

skykid wrote:In fact, the main challenge of the game is figuring out and overcoming the ropeyness. Graphics are gorgeous though, with a distinct style and some cracking cutscenes (just make sure you get the right version!)
Can you enlighten me on what you mean by "ropeyness"?

Also, which version is "the one to get"? I'll probably take whatever I can get my grubby hands on, and just do a rom/region swap. Question is- whats different about the different regions aside from in-game text?
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

The 'ropeyness' is mainly down to collision detection and lag on the controls. It's not perfect by any stretch, and because you use a whip, things tend to get a bit frantic and muddled. It's a game with huge potential, but all the action tends to mean that it doesn't quite hang together. It would be an amazing game to re-release and tighten up though.

The version is important, because the western release changed the level order and cut out the mid level cutscenes - you don't want that, but I think it's even rarer than the JP one.
The one I got has english language cutscenes, but is a JP board and is all laid out properly with cutscenes etc.
I'm not sure if there's a language select dip switch, it's just how I got it. It's the awesomest tho cos the story is pretty cool! :mrgreen:
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

skykid wrote:The 'ropeyness' is mainly down to collision detection and lag on the controls. It's not perfect by any stretch, and because you use a whip, things tend to get a bit frantic and muddled. It's a game with huge potential, but all the action tends to mean that it doesn't quite hang together. It would be an amazing game to re-release and tighten up though.

The version is important, because the western release changed the level order and cut out the mid level cutscenes - you don't want that, but I think it's even rarer than the JP one.
The one I got has english language cutscenes, but is a JP board and is all laid out properly with cutscenes etc.
I'm not sure if there's a language select dip switch, it's just how I got it. It's the awesomest tho cos the story is pretty cool! :mrgreen:
Good info to know, thanks!

If I ever get my hands on one (will probably be Japanese), can I trouble you for a dump of the english roms? Those sound very cool!
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

Yeah, it's really what you want, but alas I have no ability to dump the roms :(

They're probably on the net though, although on Mame on my xbox I have three different versions of the game and none of them have this - I'm sure someone can help tho. ;)
ruderudie
Please Continue...

Post by ruderudie »

Game has very cool music too. The first level with all the planes in combination with the adventure-like music really blew my mind, They should have named the game different and it could have been a hit!
Molloy
Please Continue...

Post by Molloy »

I loved all the Data East games that came out around that period. Nobody really talks about DE anymore these days but back in 1990 or so I would have ranked them right up there with Sega, Capcom and Irem. None of the games were perfect, and the controls were a tad off but they all had really attractive sprite design, atmosphere and music and often really unique gameplay.

Robocop 2, Sly Spy, Crude Buster, Heavy Barrel, Midnight Resistance, Joe & Mac, Chelnov and Karnov all had nice spins on the typical genres and got lots of play in the arcades round my parts. Then they started bringing out stuff like Fighters History and Tattoo Assasins and it's no wonder they went bankrupt.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

I'm with ya Molloy- the early 90's data east jammas are some of the best out there! I'm just now discovering the awesome library of games they have. Growing up, my arcades didn't really have many D.E. titles, so I'm just discovering them now. My arcades had mostly Capcom, SNK, Sega and Midway games. No shmups either :(

Anyways, I've recently just started collecting certain D.E. titles. So far I've got Night Slashers and Caveman Ninja, which both kick major ****. I *think* I have a lead on Edward Randy for a decent price, however it won't be available for purchase until April 09. Its ok however, I'm patient :D