Check out our streaming setup for STX: GMC

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Tetsuosan
Please Continue...

Check out our streaming setup for STX: GMC

Post by Tetsuosan »

After many betas of trying to figure out how to properly hook up a JROK to an arcade cabinet to stream here's the final official setup. The list of equipment as followed:

- Two Sega Astro City Cabs
- One D&D link cable hacked to work as a jamma splitter
- Component JROK
- Jamma passthrough hooked into the JROK (will explain further)
-Component Distribution Amp
- 32 inch Samsung LCD so that the players can view matches and do commentary properly
- HDBOXPRO (Odd reason that t6he JROK doesn't seem to work with capture cards)
- VGA To component transcoder (HDBOXPRO outputs to VGA so need to reencode it back to component)
- Behringer mixer (what a POS of a mixer thing's shot and does mono only )
- Core I7 PC with all the goodies and an AverTVHD capture card

With this setup alone we are able to achieve 60fps @ 480p.

Here's a youtube vid of how everything looks.

Here's a link to our ustream channel so you guys can check out the recorded vids.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dont-blow-this"

Now for a few thing I would like to note. I know that a few of the items are a bit redundant, but we're using things we already owned so that we don't have to spend more money. I could've gotten an upscaler that outputs to hdmi, but that would be another 100-150 dollars to spend that I really didn't want to do.

Now for the notation I made about the JROK. I spoke to xian-xi on here to try and troubleshoot the issues I was having with the JROK. To no avail no one could figure out why I could output through svid and composite and not through component. I finally got a hold of the JROK guy and he said that you can't run the JROK in serial with arcade monitors. That's why he added the RGB pass-through connector on the board, but for us to utilized that feature we would have to create a pass through. So we ordered a JB-3 jamma fingerboard adapter and a 56 pin edge connector. We soldered the edge connector on the side the says non-jamma since it would be difficult to plug into if there's a jamma key present. Then the tedious work began of soldering wires all the way through till you reached the video section of the jamma harness. After we did that we just soldered R,G,B,Sync, and ground to the JROK's RGB input from the top section of the fingerboard and then wired the same wires out of the RGB pass-through section of the board out to the bottom of the fingerboard.

With us doing this everything worked perfect except one small detail. The two screens looked extremely "milky". I remember an email from JROK saying that we had to turn down the contrast. Problem is that the two nanao's that I have don't have a contrast pot on the chassis. After reading many nanao manual's we finally figured out that contrast is controlled through the R,G,and B pots on the chassis. After doing so everything looked great.

Thanks for viewing and let me know what you think of the stream and the video of our setup.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: Check out our streaming setup for STX: GMC

Post by emphatic »

Very cool.
whitecomet
Initials: DNA

Post by whitecomet »

seems intresting... could use this info...
OtokonoZenyou
Please Continue...
eBay: hayato3d
Initials: ALK

Post by OtokonoZenyou »

Awesome set up, I'd love to do something exactly with that for the next candy cab I buy eventually.
Munchies
Please Continue...
eBay: Frenzia
Initials: MIB

Post by Munchies »

Great set up, would love to do something similar in the future.
Tetsuosan
Please Continue...

Post by Tetsuosan »

If you guys have any questions about how to achieve the same result as we have please feel free to ask away.
ZiEk
Please Continue...

Post by ZiEk »

wow, nice work. Seems like alot of expensive hardware tho.

iam still trying to figure out a good/cheap capture card with video in and out lol
liangnv

Post by liangnv »

hey, good job.
what to say?
it's new here.
have no idea where to start.
just come here and learn.
:mrgreen:
mikeidge
Please Continue...

Post by mikeidge »

hey tetsuosan, if i just want to link two astro city cabs together like that, whats the easiest way to do it? could i just splice the rgb and sync to both monitors and run p1 controls to one side and the p2 to the other cab?
Last edited by mikeidge on February 9th, 2011, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tetsuosan
Please Continue...

Post by Tetsuosan »

mikeidge wrote:hey tetsuosan, if i just want to link to astro city cabs together like that, whats the easiest way to do it? could i just splice the rgb and sync to both monitors and run p1 controls to one side and the p2 to the other cab?
Exactly and you have to split coin and kick harness for player 2. My link cable is a hacked D&D cable that has male kick harnesses. My friend did it like this so that the only thing I would have to do is plug in the existing kick harness for each cab and not have to make different kick wires.