Emergency Call Ambulance 'Secret' medal?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
uncletom

Re: Emergency Call Ambulance 'Secret' medal?

Post by uncletom »

Yes. As both Magnus and I have noticed that the Secret seems to jump at us when time/health is scarse, on two instances now we've crossed the finish-line with seemingly 0.00 Health, we can confirm that Secret is awarded when 0.00 Health is left as you arrive at the ER.

I'd just like to mention; the theory about the last figures in the score in combination with the last figures of Health as you cross the finish line, having something to do with the Secret would depend on really poor odds. Because we've managed to actually collect the Secret on several occasions over a time of about one year, the odds tells that Secret depends on one single variable; the Health.

I can also add that this has lead me to change my driving strategy slightly. I'm more inclined to drive slower now, taking my time not trying to save Health to gain a higher final score. Rather fill the time I'm given with meaningful game play that will take me through the stage safely and with hopefully no damage at all with a perfect Stable bonus, and if I'm really lucky I'll get the Secret on top of it. Ofcourse driving like an angel in fairy land will compromise my Brave bonus, but this only shows how perfectly well balanced this game really is. The programmers have ironically ensured that there's a pill for each illness in ECA.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

:awe: awesome work uncletom and magnus ! :clap:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Thanks Geo!

I've also edited the post about the speed boost. It's not the "thrid gear" one needs to gear down to, and then up to fourth again. You only gear out of fourth into neutral, and then into forth again. Sorry.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

And here you go folks, Magnus performs the Emergency Boost trick: http://youtu.be/-nBfTVhC48E

"A speed trick I discovered in ECA - When you've reached gear 4, put the gear back just very briefly into neutral gear, then switch back to gear 4, and you'll get an acelration boost! This trick could be compared to the dash trick in Crazy Taxi."

And, Magnus completes ECA on 'Very hard' setting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ubKXRv4U7k"
thomj
I love Aerosmith and they look great together
Initials: TWJ

Post by thomj »

In the last case on very hard he gets there with zero health but no secret!
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Please observe, Thom, he gets there with zero health. However, you do not see the tenths of that zero.

I must be 0.00 Health.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

No news, only a brief summary!

Last night as I was digging into some old and dusty wiring, I realized it has been a while since Magnus and I struggled with the tribulations of this mysterious and addictive game - Emergency Call Ambulance. I guess this chapter has ended, in success I'd like to add, but let's not forget about it. Let us celebrate it together with halloween. :D

Also I noticed that all of Magnus' youtube videos have been erased, all are gone (!?) I don't know why, I've not heard from Magnus for about 2-3 years now. However I dropped him an email this morning so let's hope he replies.

Also I'd like to update the link to our webpage here: http://www.albyhus2.se/_eget/ECA/ , it's where I keep it these days after liquidation of my earlier webhosts. My own youtube links are there as well.

And, whew... !! looking back on this topic today, my patience and my *enthusiasm* .. :lol: , I realize the amount of coffee I must have been consuming at the time (one guy even thought I was on crack). Since then I've cut down on my caffeine consumption so I might as well apologise for my previous mental overdrive and dramatization that may have clouded any facts. You can imagine what strong mental hangover I got from it.

I hope that people will never forget this game, I will certainly not, and I hope that new generations of players will be able to enjoy this fabulous game concept with its ingenious award & score system.
outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Post by outrun2 »

Wow I remember this 'obsession' - was it really four years ago :-o

Shame the videos have been lost - I might need them when I eventually find an ECA board for my Model 3 driver cab :awe:
Wanted:
Sega Model 3 Emergency Call Ambulance ROM board or complete Step 2 boardset.
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

outrun2 wrote:Wow I remember this 'obsession' - was it really four years ago :-o

Shame the videos have been lost - I might need them when I eventually find an ECA board for my Model 3 driver cab :awe:
Didn't think you were interested in this one, took me years to find mine, no cab to play it on now tho :(
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
outrun2

Post by outrun2 »

Well, whenever I get new hardware I seem to get this need to collect all the driving games available on that system :awe: This happened with both Naomi and Chihiro.

So while Dirt Devils is far and away at the top of my current want list, no doubt I will also have to try and get ECA at some point along the way too! :palm:
Wanted:
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Oh, Dirt Devils is a must. That game is a milestone in off road racing as it implements great suspension physics and dynamic layers of dirt on the vehicles. Depending on where you drive, a mud pit, or through clear water, your vehicle gets dirtier/cleaner. Also fantastic detail of cars even compared with todays standards.

I could give you a complete review of it here and now, just that I layed off coffee, so ...
outrun2

Post by outrun2 »

I must say uncletom, your review of Dirt Devils is one of the main reasons I must have it!! ;)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/566976-d ... iews/28845

I love your passion 8-)
Wanted:
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Oh, there it is. Thanks Outrun2! Imagine, in 1998 Sega made the game. You know, I think I will make a thread about the game here. Just to spam you a little. .. I think I smell some coffee too..
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Whew! I'm so releaved. Magnus is alive and well. I just now got a reply on my email, and he has been a bit ill this past time, he says, but now he is completely restored.

He's currently aiming to update the info on wiki about ECA, mostly focusing on the geographical aspects of the environment such as the Monument with Standing beast and other landmarks. Details that the game designers put there, which mustn't be overlooked. As we know the game happens in the city of Chicago. Even if SEGA didn't make an exact copy of the town, they skillfully packed alot of the essentials into their own compact virtual interpretation of Chicago.
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

This thread intrigued me so I went to take a look at the game on YT. Holy ****, this game is so sick (because it seems so obscure). Can't believe I haven't seen it around before. Maybe I have and I just didn't pay any attention to it. It's like a mix between Crazy Taxi and Super Monkey Ball (since you have to kind of drive smoothly otherwise it affects the victim). Reminds me of another obscure game Brave Firefighters.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

This game is easily overlooked because it's usually not the center of attention in the arcade. And it's a single player game so groups generally will not notice it unless they are a group of medics on an after work night out. Its theme isn't the most extravagant so most players tend to go for the mainstream games, or at the time the more glamorous sports car racers.

The Brave Firefighters resemblance would be the third case where you need to drive a pregnant woman, from the burning building, to the ER.