Coin-operated games and arcades.
Casey120
The Fluffer
eBay: Tappygielen
Initials: CVW

Re: Cave's weakest title?

Post by Casey120 »

Tama , as a shmup it just sucks :awe:

Esp.Ra.De , controls feel a bit strange and loose to me unlike the other Cave games or maybe it´s just me :think:
Shooting bubble bullets on enemy´s and then shoot those with small ones gets tedious fast , scoring systems sucks .

I am really into Ibara at the moment , unforgiving **** of a game but so much fun that it made me really curious about Pink Sweets .
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

It's funny I find the game long chaining so abhorrent, as I love it as a concept - the Mushi's in original mode are great, and it also features in other games I'm a big fan of (SSX3). It's just too rigid in DOJ. That TAS video of Hibachi is a good example - I don't like playing like a robot.

Ibara is marvellous BUT it has two flaws. One: sprite priority problems - medals can sit behind powerups and explosions, enemies can sit behind explosions. Two: the latter of the first would be okay if you were invincible when bombing which you're not, so it compounds the problem. Of course with bombing being so frequent invincibility would make levels very easy. The layer priority is nasty though as it can break your chain without you being aware it's happened.
Aypok
Please Continue...
eBay: aypok
Initials: AYP

Post by Aypok »

A few people mentioning DonPachi, but I guess that's understandable. It's still my favourite Cave game. But that's not what this thread is about, so on with the hate!

Esp.ra.de is probably bottom of my list (of their games which I like, that is). I was playing it on MAME a few days ago, thinking "Why did I not like this game again...?". Then I got to the boss and the "MEH" started flowing. I've played a bit of Guwange on MAME, too - not really a fan of it. That could just be because I'm playing through MAME on a keyboard, but, to be fair, that's how I fell in love with DonPachi and DoDonPachi... Not sure precisely why I don't like those two games - I just didn't find them very fun.

Having said that, I played a few credits of Ibara at IC09 and didn't find that very fun, either. Maybe I just need to give it more time - I suspect a few minutes isn't long enough to gain a proper appreciation for the game.
Violator and subject to severe penalties and will be prosecutedt to the full extent of the jam

<kernow> I am indeed a happy mother ****
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

ESPrade is sublimely great.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

skykid wrote:ESPrade is sublimely great.
Not enough flaw picking.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

ESP RaDe isn't the deepest of Cave shmups but I do really like it. It looks and feels quite different to other Cave titles. Like kern said, it seems like Cave had one eye on Raizing at the time. Smaller bullets than usual too.

The three weakest titles that spring to my mind are:

Pink Sweets: Too hard, silly wavy lasers, horrible mix of graphical styles.
Deathsmiles 2: Looks like **** and doesn't offer as much as the first in the gameplay dept either. IIX is a massive improvement though.
Feveron: Too fast. Almost impossible to keep track of the disco blokes beyond the first level. Saved by an incredible soundtrack and lovely pixel art.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

markedkiller78 wrote:It's so stupidly easy till the final form of the L5 boss
So, what's your score then? Futari BL Original is kinda easy as well UNLESS YOU PLAY FOR SCORE.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

emphatic wrote:
markedkiller78 wrote:It's so stupidly easy till the final form of the L5 boss
So, what's your score then? Futari BL Original is kinda easy as well UNLESS YOU PLAY FOR SCORE.

No need to shout Emph,

What I have said is accurate to my mind. Assuming a low score, easy run, slowing the hard parts down, the final form of the final boss is a massive difficulty spike IMO.

My top score is inly about 21m, but seeing as it's not a game I enjoy, I don't really want to spend too much more time getting the 1cc.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, just the one I like least
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

markedkiller78 wrote:No need to shout Emph,
Sorry. Will use bold next time. :awe:

But can we agree on that = unless played correctly, some of CAVE's games have other flaws?

If you don't understand how to play Ibara, it will seem unfair and crazy?
If you don't understand how to play ESPGALUDA, it will seem too easy?

If Progear had the visible hitbox of SH3 games, I would play it more, but now I just can't get over that part. Before I knew where the hitbox was in ESP Ra.De. I was not into it at all, but once I got to understand the scoring mechanics the only downside of the game for me now is the boss milking.
tart31

Post by tart31 »

I dont like any of them, there all too hard :awe:
brentsg
eBay: brentsg
Initials: BSG

Post by brentsg »

I think I'd go with Galuda, from the games I've played. I'd almost say Galuda II but I did have some fun with it, though I not enough to grasp it.
TwonK
Got boots? Get cash! $$$

Post by TwonK »

Cave games I'll probably NEVER own:

Feveron
ESP Ra. De.
Guwange
Pink Sweets

Galuda and Galuda 2 are two of my favorites.

But everyone has their own tastes...
Twonk wrote:Nobody passed this game to you claiming it was 100% real.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

For me it is Pink Sweets (I've not played the PCB of DeathSmiles II, I didn't enjoy the port though). I thought I would love it (being a fan of Yagawa stuff), but it just didn't work for me. Ibara and MMP on the other hand are genius.

Whilst not the worst of the catalogue, I really don't think much of any of the Dodonpachi series. I really don't get why people rate DOJ so highly.

I'm pretty saddened that Esp.Ra.De is getting so much hate :{
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate »

Im pretty saddened that Espgaluda and Espgaluda 2 are getting so much hate as well! They are both bloody ace! But meh, its all opinions, and have to agree with other comments that at the end of the day any shmup or beatemup (scrolling or Vs) are easy if you throw credits at em, its all about the scoring that makes or breaks a shooter etc. I'll admit it took me ages to get to grip with Deathsmiles and Espgaluda's scoring systems, but now I understand them it's what makes those games great IMO, I guess if you dont understand them or even want to then of course those titles may end up on this thread!
goatboy
eBay: henknieborg

Post by goatboy »

Own(ed) quite a few Cave boards but some of the the earlier ones like, Rade, Guwange and Feveron just don't do it for me. Also DDP DOJ is probably a board i will never own. So that's quite a few really.

I'm really into Mushi right now and level 3 is technically and graphically a work of art! Ibara is also way up there and will probably re-buy this very soon. Really love the 2 Galuda's but wasn't too font of the extended kakusei on the sequel but you get used to it.
Last edited by goatboy on December 9th, 2010, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

Chi wrote:I really don't get why people rate DOJ so highly.
It's a work of genius. One of the most oppressive, pressured and aggressive games I've ever played, but with a rush like no other. And that's completely without chaining.
I can hardly chain for ****, just a couple of instances here and there, but I've almost made it to the last boss (once) and my head was spinning for about an hour afterwards.

It basically plays how Daiffukatsu only manages to look.

However, I rate black label over Vanilla big time. The tiny tweaks improve the game so drastically it's unreal.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

Of all the Cave games I have played I think the two I actually put my cash down for were the beter ones:

DonPachi: I really like this, Its much cheaper than most other Cave PCB's, its a little easier on the eyes (not so much on screen all the time) and its a more raw and simple experience - just how I like my shooters. There is a little bit of depth in the chaining and Bees to find too.

Owned it twice now and would probe say the only Cave title I would pick up again!

Espgaluda: Bought the PCB after hearing so much praise about it. Was very pretty, had some nice music and seems easy enough to get into. I am not great a playing for score and could just get to L3 on 1cc but atleast I had fun doing it. :)

DoDonpachi: another game I have enjoyed on MAMA but never actually bought as when it comes up for sale its eother too much or I have no cash! Will prob never buy it though as I think I prefer DonPachi.

Most of the other Cave games I have played on a cab or Xbox 360 I just have never really liked. I think for me its the way I like my games as I am a much bigger fan of plder titles and the only two 'newer' bullet heavy games I have enjoyed enough havebeen Donpachi and Armed Police Batrider and I think these are enough for me :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

I think this thread speaks volumes to the quality of Cave's lineup. There doesn't seem to be a distinct winner for weakest game. Of course, if Deathsmiles II was in contention it might be a unanimous choice.

I personally love ESPrade, although it takes some getting used to after playing the galudas since the hitboxes are so different and larger. The graphics and art direction are incredible, and I love all of the details that they put into the levels. I just noticed the other day that "New Jack City" is spray painted on one of the walls in Irori's stage.

I would have to vote for Dangun Feveron as the weakest game, mainly due to the disco theme not appealing to me. I'm sure some people love the game for just these reasons too.
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Post by JAMMArob »

Uo Poko

Not much replay value to be had there.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

If we go son that route there also steep slope sliders :?