Taito's NESiCA Live - Arcade on demand

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Molloy
Re: Taito's NESiCA Live - Arcade on demand

Post by Molloy »

I was thinking it was only a matter of time before this happened. The Steam/iPhone/Android type of download system for games can work wonderfully (and be a big boon to independent development) if executed properly.

I think it's probably a better idea to have one game per machine at a time. I wouldn't like if you walked into an arcade and had to select from 100 games on a menu before you get started. I think that's already too much for most casual users who won't recognise what games what. Better to have something on attract mode that explains to them what they're looking at. Don't want to go swamping people with information. It sort of cheapens the experience if you're picking a game from dozens. Let the operator choose.

It'll be interesting to see who gets a large share of this market. If Sega and Taito both had digital distribution systems and tried to court independent developers for their platform. As I said earlier I'd love to see the sort of innovation we're seeing in the phone gaming market at the moment applied to arcade machines. Original concepts that are easily understood and simple to play.

Anything has to be better than the current model. Operators don't change their games often enough. They just buy big dedicated machines, overprice and then throw them out after 3 years. There's no variety with this model. I don't want to play 90% of the **** in arcades at the moment.
Wisepass

Post by Wisepass »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:well , they just founded a new 3D department , didn`t they ?
Wisepass wrote:If it ends up breathing new life into the Arcade scene it can't really be a bad thing... can it?
well , if your not intressted in arcade games and prefer ports , i`m sure you don`t care.
I just think there's a higher chance in real ARCADE games being made, since some independent developers could get involved and maybe make something brilliant, as is there's barely a handful of dedicated arcade developers out there.
Wisepass

Post by Wisepass »

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... dRurECZpRg"

Wow this seems a rather clunky implementation to change games by Taito in this day and age.

Anyone seen these at a show or in the wild yet?
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

Taito took a cue from the I-PAC and its shift key functionality. NESiCA is Japan-only so probably very few of us have seen it in the wild.
Wisepass

Post by Wisepass »

It looks like there's quite a few installed in Hey! - Akihabara - from this video took a few weeks ago but he doesn't get a perfect view by any means and doesn't look at its functionality

But on another note get out that damn gorgeous Darius setup!
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

I took a vid of how it works from when NESiCA first released. I'll upload it later.

The reason why Cave is reluctant to go with the format is that devs don't see any money until players but money into the machines. Out of 1 play, Taito gets 30 yen. From that 30 yen, a portion goes to the developer so you can see why developers are not seeing much value in the system for them to develop original titles.
Wisepass

Post by Wisepass »

I figured thats how pricing would work. I'm sure it'll sure some companies more than others. Cave I suspect has a dedicated fan base who will seek out (or buy) their games. I suspect NESiCA suits popular fighting games that are generally more popular.

I think the idea is that once a system is installed their shouldn't be a need for a lot of maintenance and still have a lot of variety so there could potentially be many more smaller Arcade's... Arcade's in Convenience stores maybe, but I'm guessing it hasn't even remotely taken off like this, which I think is a shame. I was really hoping for this to invigorate new arcade developers.

That said as is I think its too complicated for the average "casual" arcade user.
EOJ
eBay: NA

Post by EOJ »

This is Cave's new arcade platform. First game will be a port of Akai Katana Shin mode:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=388"
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

Interesting... make sense since it's their only real 16:9 game. Though I suppose they could have gone with Deathsmiles IIX as well.

I think I'd prefer AKS for this.
Svovl
eBay: clemensnk
Initials: CNK

Post by Svovl »

I am quite intrigued by NESiCA Live, and would love to see it in action.
In the video shown in this thread, the Taito representative mentions that it will offer classic games as well. I wonder if they will just run them on the modern cabinets, or wether the intention is to integrate NESiCA Live in classic low-res cabs as well?
SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang »

They're nearly all installed in Vewlixs from what I've seen. There are hundreds of games now including old stuff. The newest Taito arcades barely have a CRT in sight, which is a bit sad.
Shou

Post by Shou »

SuperPang wrote:They're nearly all installed in Vewlixs from what I've seen. There are hundreds of games now including old stuff. The newest Taito arcades barely have a CRT in sight, which is a bit sad.
There aren't 100s of games, more like 40 at best. The only retro games on offer are Puzzle Bobble running on an MVS emu, Elevator Action and Rastan. Besides the newer titles like Aqua Pazza, Persona etc, the rest of the games are ports from PC, ex-Board, Type X/X2, and SKONEC's platform.

Here's a list on their site:
SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang »

My bad. Seems like hundreds as they're adding any old guff these days. Spelunky?
Shou

Post by Shou »

SuperPang wrote:My bad. Seems like hundreds as they're adding any old guff these days. Spelunky?
Adding games to the service costs nothing to the arcade owners but becomes a discovery problem like with any digital distribution format.
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

All of the classics are generally emulated and upscaled to 720p to run on HD Monitors.
Svovl
eBay: clemensnk
Initials: CNK

Post by Svovl »

kazuo wrote:All of the classics are generally emulated and upscaled to 720p to run on HD Monitors.
That's sad
meijin

Post by meijin »

I saw this some months ago when I went to Japan. There was a new Taito Station in Osaka (only one year old) and of course no Egrets, CRT cabs whatever, only Vewlix cabs. And they run their older games (SNK, CPS2 and so on) on their Vewlix cabs and it looked horrible :problem:
I took a video of this "awesomeness" and if someone wants to see it I can upload it ;)
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

upload it i just want ot see the arcade :awe:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Hmm.
pulstarx
Please Continue...

Post by pulstarx »

@Shou

How is Crimzon Clover going on Nesica? Is it a success?