Atomiswave - Worth it?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Atomiswave - Worth it?

Post by DandySephy »

I've been looking at Atomiswave prices out of curiosity while looking at various things on ebay, and it seems fairly reasonably priced for the motherboard and say 5 or 6 of the games (GG Isuka, Rumble Fish, KOF etc). I've seen systems bundled with sengoku or KOF for £140+ £25 shipping for example. The question is, is it worth the "investment"? Some of the bigger games are easily found on ps2 for example, so by no means is it a essential purchase for me, but should I keep it in mind if the chance comes or save my money for naomi carts or something?
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Re: Atomiswave - Worth it?

Post by DandySephy »

it was for the cheap games that it was on my radar, I think Hokuto and the board were priced at £220-250 on here this week, which pound for pound would go to better use on a gd-rom setup and a couple of cheap games for that or maybe a cheap Cave pcb. If the port of HnK is "very good" I think I can manage to leave the cart alone given current prices (could buy 3 other AW games easily)

but if I can be convinced about the cheap sub £60 games it's worth a punt.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

As Kernow has said above it is worth it for Fist of the North Star but bear in mind that the AW was designed to run in hi res, it will run in low res but it looks like **** imo.

ps.. Metroid
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Don’t listen to them, the AW is good.

HNK, KOF12 & RF2 are the only 3 must have games imo. Some of the others are worth playing, Rumble Fish being the best of them.

Demolish Fist is truly awful, KOF Neo Wave is pretty ugly, KOV is a decent side scrolling beat em up. A little more expensive and you have Neo Geo Battle colleseuim which is good & GG Ikusa which is a turd

I’ve got a spare Rumble Fish you can have for £30 if you ever do pick a mobo up :) & I’ve got a boxed GG Ikusa kit (not sure if it’s the right box though :? ) £45

Nothing like plugging your own sales :awe:
Mayhem
eBay: Mayhem_SWE

Post by Mayhem »

The Rumble Fish 2 is one of my favorite versus fighters, definitely worth buying an AW mobo for that game alone. Don't bother getting the first game in the series though as it is far inferior.
Once I start I cannot stop myself
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Aye, I love RF2. In many ways a lazy sequel and yet they managed to improve on the first no end. Make sure you turn the attract music off though.

FOTNS is great

MS6 is the best since 3 IMHO and worth a look if you're a fan. Dolphin Blue aint bad, worth 8,000 Yen, nasty 2P slowdown though. And if you like the KOV series the AW one is pretty cool, another bargain.

I also quite like SS Tenka, it has its own unique feel to it.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

I still think that RF1 is a decent game, granted the sequel is better, but there are some interesting characters / combos in RF1. Well worth the £30

I've not played MS6 of SST due to the cost either Kernow.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

kernow wrote: I'd like to try RF2 one day though , although I doubt I ever will.
It looks the **** on that monitor
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

thegreathopper wrote:As Kernow has said above it is worth it for Fist of the North Star but bear in mind that the AW was designed to run in hi res, it will run in low res but it looks like **** imo.
It would be going in a Naomi Uni anyway
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

I’m not a big fan of ports

Pang is saying that RF2 looks fantastic on the AWSD screen. Either that or he is blind :awe:

The AWSD shines when it’s fed with a 31k 640x480 signal. VF4FT, HNK, GGXX, RF2 & Arcana Heart all spring to mind when I think of the cab at it’s best :)

You really do need to see one of those games running on an AWSD Kern, you owe it to yourself :)
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

It does vibrant colours better than a Nanao

Oooh controversial :awe:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

kernow wrote::shock:

I've noticed its pretty nice for CPS2, nice and vibrant, depends if you like your scanlines though :awe:
It’s an aquired taste. I used to run SF3.3 on mine & I was very happy until my New Astro arrived. I use my awsd solely for 31k stuff now. The FST is good & the brightness / sharpness / colour take some beating

Having gone through 7 cabs so far, 5 of which were Nanao’s, The hori NAC I currently have is the best I’ve ever seen. The picture quality is far superior to everything else, but I think I just got incredibly lucky with it.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

kernow wrote:I noticed in your sales thread how nice the MVS looks with MOTW running. lucky ****! :awe:
I think it is just luck tbh. The other MS8/9s that I have are very good, but this one is noticeably better for some weird reason
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

It must have had an easy life, its nice when you get that. The monitor on my MVS looks like new, pin sharp text in corners etc.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

SuperPang wrote:It must have had an easy life, its nice when you get that. The monitor on my MVS looks like new, pin sharp text in corners etc.
it's nice when that happens :)
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate »

I bloody love the Awave hardware, and agree with those comments regarding how good it looks in high res. Rumble Fish 2 is an ace game, one of my fav's to be honest and anyone who says otherwise prob hasnt played it enough to find out it's a deep fighter that requires some attention. It's prob the best looking 2D fighter there is looks wise, until the new KOF comes out. Plus people can throw specs around about the hardware but lets face it, it's really easy to set up and flexible with regards to what cab you run it on. You wont be dissapionted with investing into some Awave stuff.
j69

Post by j69 »

When I bought an AW with HNK i looked at it the same way as when I bought SF3.3. Just as one complete game, not as a mobo I could buy more games for in the same way as an MVS 1 slot.
Molloy
Please Continue...

Post by Molloy »

According the previews I read around the time the AW came out the best launch game was a puzzler called Sushi Bar. It never came out though.
http://www.insertcredit.com/features/london2003/sammy/"
Alec
Please Continue...

Post by Alec »

SuperPang wrote:It does vibrant colours better than a Nanao

Oooh controversial :awe:
wow, someone who agrees with me.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

kernow wrote:I'd never bother getting an AW without wanting to get HNK one day really.
Ditto :awe:
Vagina