The King of Fighters Thread

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Brain_Slug
Please Continue...
The King of Fighters Thread

Post by Brain_Slug »

With the upcoming KoF XII and the recently released KoF '98 Ultimate Match, I though it'd be cool to have a general KoF thread.

So post your opinions on the series, game play or preview videos, or just general series chit chat.

To kick off, here's the KoF XII AOU trailer that you've all probably seen. This is looking damn good and I can't wait to get my mits on the PS3 version.

KoF XII Trailer

Is it possible to embed YouTube vids?
Xenepp

Re: The King of Fighters Thread

Post by Xenepp »

I don't think phpBB allows it unless the admin enables html whih opens up a whole world of crap on forums.

Regarding KOF though, it's a close second for me to the SF series. There's far too many incarnations but it's a seriously underrated game.

-Joel
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

Around where I live (UK northwest) KOF was not very popular at all. in the 90s Street fighter 2 was the game to play. I dont think i even saw any other fighters in the arcades other than KI and MK
Brain_Slug
Please Continue...

Post by Brain_Slug »

I don't remember seeing a KoF game in an arcade cabinet until I went to the Namco arcade in Nottingham around 1998. Everywhere I went just had Street Fighter II and all it's upgrades. Oh, and one dodgy place with a couple of Black Belt Editions. I'd certainly read about the games in magazines over the years, but they were for the legendary Neo Geo and completely out of a teenager's price range. All I was able to play whilst at school was Super Famicom conversions or the odd random crack on a SF2 cab. I really didn't like Mortal Kombat, and still don't, but my mates used to like it.

It's only been the past 6 or 7 years that I've been able to play the series on original hardware. I can't say I enjoy the earlier games too much, but as of '98 it's all good (excluding the wrongness of 2001). Never played NeoWave or XI either :oops:

Has anyone got the PS2 conversion of '98 Ultimate? How's it compare to the arcade version, and how would you rate it overall?
Bigsasquatch

Post by Bigsasquatch »

yeah KOF never really had the success of SF in the UK ...... owned XI for a while nice loose mechanics compared to earlier efforts... never could get beyond how shockingly bad those upscaled sprites looked so eventually sold it......still kept 98 / 2003 on MVS

XII is a differnt beast altogether would love it on X-2 if I ever have enough funds......

BIG S
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

I was lucky to get the king of fighters 94 on home cart when it came out, I used to buy home carts direct from SNK when they had a office in London. They would send you a Arcade poster with your game but you never got the same poster as the game ordered when I ordered KOF94 I got a Art of Fighting 2 poster.

I would agree with Kernow and say that KOF98 is also my favourite although I love all of them and is my favourite series of fighting games.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Xenepp wrote:I don't think phpBB allows it unless the admin enables html whih opens up a whole world of crap on forums.
Embedded flash is staying off :ugeek:
theevilfunkster
Keeps Lordstar on a leash

Post by theevilfunkster »

The first KoF I played was on the Neogeo Pocket :oops: My favorite is still KoF98.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Highlights of the series for me are 97, 98, 2002 & XI.

I've only recently got into KOF/SNK and I'm still a bit **** at them. There is a massive charcter roster, move list, juggles, combos. I wish I had spent more time with KOF in my youth.

Only complaint I have is the cheapness of the bosses, but I suppose that's more an SNK thing than KOF
Brain_Slug
Please Continue...

Post by Brain_Slug »

theevilfunkster wrote:The first KoF I played was on the Neogeo Pocket :oops: My favorite is still KoF98.
That's cool, both R1 & R2 on the Pocket are great fighting games. In fact, all the NGPC's fighting games are either very very good or truly excellent like MotM or Last Blade. It's a shame R3 was among the many games for the system that were in development, never to see the light of day.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

I do believe the hand-drawn graphic of XII are absolutely terrific. I wish they had used such kind of graphic for SSF2THD instead of the cold/bland one they opted for... that would have been the game of my life. Not really into KOF, I'm a SF guy.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

John James Pacinelli wrote:I do believe the hand-drawn graphic of XII are absolutely terrific. .
I agree 100%. I hope it plays as good at is looks.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

markedkiller78 wrote:
John James Pacinelli wrote:I do believe the hand-drawn graphic of XII are absolutely terrific. .
I agree 100%. I hope it plays as good at is looks.
You damn right. In fact the problemo for me is the KF gameplay, I just don'like it. If they made a SF with graphic ala KOFXII, I'd probably to$$ off to it Image
Caveman
Please Continue...
Initials: BO.

Post by Caveman »

94' for me is still the 'stand out' installment, i remember being totally wowed when it appeared at my local arcade years ago.
Some of, if not the best backgrounds in a fighter - EVER!
I still played the others to death, & still do - when i can be arsed to dust off the old AES Image
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

The King of Fighters XII 1st location test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DVLs3Kz ... eroes.com/
Vagina
ruderudie
Please Continue...

Post by ruderudie »

KOF always feels a little stiff to me , but it still is a great series. I always liked the Fatal Fury series a lot better though. There is nothing on the neo that beats Real bout FF special, and no not even Mark of the wolves.

KOF XII is really amazing, together with SFIV it will be my reason to get an xbox360 probably.
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Interesting, because my attempts at playing FF would suggest the other way around.... :p I've not played garou though
ruderudie
Please Continue...

Post by ruderudie »

The normal FF (FF,FF2,FFS) are more in the KOF style, but beginning with FF3 and furthermore RBFFS and RBFF2 are real different games, with great speed, combo system, best graphics, awesome music, superb gameplay and overall greatness. Give it a good try, you'll find out these are great games and imo much better than any KOF.
luke2fr
Please Continue...
Initials: LUK

Post by luke2fr »

http://neo-arcadia.com/News/voir_news.p ... n=voirtout"

high quality vids in the 4th news :)
i'm dling them right now,
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

ruderudie wrote:The normal FF (FF,FF2,FFS) are more in the KOF style, but beginning with FF3 and furthermore RBFFS and RBFF2 are real different games, with great speed, combo system, best graphics, awesome music, superb gameplay and overall greatness. Give it a good try, you'll find out these are great games and imo much better than any KOF.
I do have Real Bout, but its not going to get much use because my jamma cab is now a tate cab so my MVS stuff has to go. Although I might pick up the ps2 ports as they are only a tenner