GTI Club: Supermini Festa

Coin-operated games and arcades.
uncletom

Re: GTI Club: Supermini Festa

Post by uncletom »

.. oh, and there's something more I need to air, about the handbrake. But that's for later. I'm too tierd tonight to get furious.

Good morning everybody! Today we are going to discuss the handbrake for GTI Club SMF: There is none.

- What?

There's no handbrake!

- .. well, how .. what's the handbrake doing on the side then?

It's wired to the footpedal!

- It is? But .. then it's no handbrake.

Exactly!!!

- So why?

Because it looks good on the cabinet!

andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

The code to unlock USA track, 2 x 2 football, prize grab mode, coin grab mode is

GZ6L YJD5

Like what I did with TypeX/X2 etc you can superscaler the hardware with a new CPU and GPU to remove slowdowns, also solid state SATA helps loading.
Say hello to my little friend...
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Thank you Andy. I will do my best trimming away all the culprits in the system.

And that code there, should I type it in somewhere in the hiscore section? Or what do I do with it to avtivate the track?

Hehe.. Now I will need to buy these arrow-shaped buttons, back lit, to really make the most out of it.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Interesting things are happening here...
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

And here's where the fun starts: http://www.youtube.com/user/thegticlubm ... jeabcLXnk4"

Some nice rips from the game, in HD, and with great sound!
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

I am currently awaiting a 24VDC powersupply for my 'Comsos' board. It should be here soon. Then there will be rock and roll. Because that's what small GTI cars do. They rock, and they roll.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

God I'm BORED! Still waiting for that silly 24DC-supply.

Yesterday I even tried to install Windows XP on my Type -X'2'. It didn't work, ofcourse, as I couldn't find the proper SATA drivers for the motherboard, I should have gone with Windows 7. At least that has some transparent windows which could be fun to toy around with. But I like WinXP better because it *is* better. So it bugged out somewhere in the end of the installation anyway. But never mind. It's nice to have a large, grey, metal box standing beside me on my table here as I surf the internet, read the news, drink my coffe, hang out on weird nerdy forums, chip my gamecube, pick my nose,... well dammit give me my 24V supply already!!

.. what time is it? Oh. That late. Ok, so I'll maybe get my 24V supply tomorrow then.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

So silly of me. Sorry for keeping you waiting. That's what happens when you have just one brain but more than one forum to post stuff in.

Last week I did get my 24 VDC power supply, and as I connected it to the Cosmos PCB, as I thought, it started to regulate the 24V to 5V, and the 'Sub board' test went 'OK'!

uncletom

Post by uncletom »

I've had this a couple of days now, it's a big plasma screen from Samsung, actually a 'TV'... But I never watch TV nowadays so it serves as a monitor.

It wasn't too expensive, infact I thought it was quite cheap. The model is called "PS51D455A2W". It's not a real HD, as in 1900x1080 or such, it's native resolution is 1360x768 which is infact exactly what I need for my Supermini Festa and Lindbergh games. Have a look: http://www.samsung.com/se/consumer/tv-h ... cification

Here it is running the Festa at night.

Yes, I thought about that, but it was slightly too big for my desk.

(Model2 emulator)
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

spmbx wrote:Sega Strike Fighter in a driving cab? How does that play?
About as good as Initial D would play in that cab.. :lol:
Say hello to my little friend...
Alukid
Please Continue...

Post by Alukid »

:lol: .........

:think:
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Well I did have a go in Far Cry before deciding not to break my neck any further.

uncletom

Post by uncletom »

How could I let this happen!? How?? I totally forgot about this thread! Damn me!

It just crossed my mind as I was mounting my new steering wheel to test, a 280 mm diameter 'mini type' wheel, made in China ofcourse, but with such beautiful style. The design, the feel of the non-real leather, .. the smell. Yes, it smells. The odeur of the brand new plastic can be sensed from beyond borders of my country. My neighbors must think that I've bought a new couch or some furniture! Heh..

Since my mental overload wishing to come by the Supermini Festa hardware, I have actually managed to .. come by the Supermini Festa hardware. Look! It's all mine! I'm playing it! And I have been for quite a while now! haah hahaaa! IT'S ALL MINE!! http://youtu.be/DqwhcvGl4n4"
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

And here's my new slightly smaller steering wheel:
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Anyway, I think I ought to write a few words about the game, some short review perhaps. Because it is a nice game, no doubt. Just a bit missunderstood. It's difficult to master the control. If you've played games like InitialD, Sega Rally, Ridge Racer,... well basically most of the arcade racers through time, the Supermini Festa (let's call it SMF from now on) does have a strange handling physique.

I keep asking myself: "Did Konami implement the almost exact same handling characteristic of the GTI Club from 1996 in SMF for a reason? Or is it simply how Konami make their driving games?" - You see, I haven't played any other Konami driving game besides brielfy the GTI Club '96, so I wouldn't know.

But what I *can* relate to is small cars, stoney uneven road surface, and a great lot of speed. Yeah. Let's compare that to the bumper cam of SMF now - spot on! That confusing bumpy experience of sitting inside a mini going a 100 down some *stairs* in a medieval italian village! I've been in Italy on holiday, while there we rented a Fiat 500, which coincidently destroyed my right foot and crippled my back (I'm a bit tall) for about a month after returning home! It was SMF reality show for two weeks, but contrary to that my game doesn't have air conditioning.

I know what I'm talking about. So this part should cover the control .. thing. However, there is another smallish detail which I usually like to blow out of proportion: the deadzone. Damn you Konami for doing this! Burn in hell for leaving a deadzone in there like if it was a gamepadded console game or some joystick controlled test version prototype preview!

.. but no. I forgive them. I forgive Konami for leaving that deadzone in the game (I automatically assume that they simply forgot to remove it after finishing development, due to frequent testing with a gamepad it would need a small deadzone to allow for easy control with the thumb). The deadzone is small enough to work around, like in some real cars as well, thus easy enough to manage.

I hate deadzones! They're like the sun in my eyes, like a mosquito in my ear.. ! Why are there deadzones? Aren't they dead? What's .. where.. why??

Then we have the sliding, the skidding, the skreetching. Let's get to that in a minute, but first I think I need to explain why I don't write anything positive about this wonderful game. Well, you see, I would need to write a book then. And we don't all have time to read books, do we? We hardly have time to read this extemely enerving review of this game who almost nobody plays anyway. So we stick to the bad parts, this way we can acquaint ourselves with SMF on a more down to earth level without the distractions of how beautiful and awesome the game really is!

So let's pick on it some more. Where was I.. *skidding*! Considering the speeds we're going here, and the road surfaces, and the fact that most driving games do tend to use a faster physics timing scale (by that I mean that in most games everythig passes a bit quicker than in real life), ofcourse you will drift! You drive a front wheel small class car with absolutely no drifting properties whatsoever, but you drift as if it would be a four wheel powered Impreza!

But that's just how the game is! And it feels great once you've gained control over it.

So you race in these awesome environments which I will not mention due to their dangerous looks and eye-popping beauty. And you think; "Is this 60 fps, or is it 30" .. well, which is it?

.. and, I am not sure. No, I am not sure if SMF is 60 or 30 frames a second? I'm not lying! However what I do notice is that there is some sort of 'motion blur' working in any and every 3D instance of the game, which basically means *all the time you're driving*. And remember that I'm playing this on my plasma. I am not sure how Konami worked this out, but I'd be damned if SMF looks better played on an LCD than my plasma screen, because of this motion blur.

So I'll let that go for now because I have a plasma TV, and I will not buy an LCD for any reason, even this.

.. well, maybe for this.

So is there anything more to pick on in SMF then? Do we notice anything else about this totally superb game that makes it less than a perfect driving game for driving-nuts like myself, and driving-nuts slightly different from myself? - Think hard.

No. That's it.

- cheers!
Last edited by uncletom on April 11th, 2012, 6:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

:awe: :awe: :awe:
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Ohoy there my smoking swedish friend!

.. did I mention the "Curb Dash"?

Do you know what a Curb Dash is? Hah! This is so weird, in SMF, while driving above a certain speed which should be somewhere above 90 km/h or so, in 4:th or 5:th gear if you drive with one wheel pair on a curb at certain places, you will get a speed boost!

I discovered this while racing the 'England' course, and the straight leading upto and into the town from the docks, there's this long stretch with this particular curb off the pavement. A bright, wider curb type. And as I cut onto this curb there was a shout "Curb dash!", and my speed boosted up so fast I crashed into the house at the first sharp turn.

So, *curb dash* whenever you can, and you will make the best times.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Hi guys.

Would some of you who speak italian please tell me what this guy is talking about? It sounds so cool but I just don't understand one word of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8pi8IL5 ... 6_i0iRRJEY

Thank you very much.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

:problem:

Ancora una volta i piloti sono riuniti per una corsa automobilistica mozzafiato.
È una corsa rischiosa sull'autostrada pubblica e nessuno sa cosa succederà.
Quelli con scarse abilità automobilistiche saranno presto lasciati nella polvere.
Siete pronti, piloti? Che il conto alla rovescia incominci.

Once again drivers got together for a breathtaking car race.
It's a risky race on the public highway and nobody knows what is going to happen.
Those with poor racing skills will soon be left in the dust.
Are you ready, drivers? Let the countdown begin.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Wow! Thank you so much, Princess. That was AWESOME!

I've saved it on a separate textfile, this is a step closer for me to finally learn some italian.