exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
MrJBRPG
exA-Arcadia Super Fan
eBay: Johnshibrpg
Initials: JPM

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by MrJBRPG »

SuperPang wrote: June 11th, 2021, 1:09 pm Surprise "cheap" release at 675 SGD (£360 ish).

https://arcadeheroes.com/2021/06/10/kir ... r-arcades/
I am surprised that more budget friendly arcade titles are announced. For an operator, it's very much like candy money. Still out of reach for many of us folks including me for now since it is not home console business.
arcnl wrote: June 11th, 2021, 11:46 pm Hard to judge. First thing that comes to mind though is why other indies that involve minimal effort in porting can't match this price point. I realize i'm not the target demographic but i could be tempted at this price.
It mostly has to do with how much content has been established for the base home game and how much new content has been added. For pricier games, that often result in games taking more time to balance gameplay for arcade environment as well as adding new content and features to better stand out from the home counterpart.

Vritra Hexa is an example that has the most content added to the arcade version compared to the ironically "definitive edition" of the home version, which the latter is no longer definitive. It is within near high price range, but not quite top.

Anyways, I thought the surprise announcement is refreshing for street operators and other looking for filler arcade titles.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Are we looking at the same game? It looks like a 30 second bonus round in some platformer.

I don't care how budget priced it is, I couldn't make myself to put that game in operation. I bet almost all players would expect the game to have more to it than just jumping and grabbing stars.

Playthrough of the NES version.

The exA release is akin to the Limited Run release of the NES version. In my mind it's just shovelware for collectors. Cool if you're in to that sort of thing (I know many are), but I'm not.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

It's an arcade release of a homebrew Famicom game at 2/5 the price of most of the other indie releases, which have had a lot more time and money put into the extras. It is what it is. I won't be buying it but somebody will (like nem said, probably Famicom nuts).
MrJBRPG
exA-Arcadia Super Fan

Post by MrJBRPG »

nem wrote: June 12th, 2021, 12:44 pm Are we looking at the same game? It looks like a 30 second bonus round in some platformer.

I don't care how budget priced it is, I couldn't make myself to put that game in operation. I bet almost all players would expect the game to have more to it than just jumping and grabbing stars.

Playthrough of the NES version.

The exA release is akin to the Limited Run release of the NES version. In my mind it's just shovelware for collectors. Cool if you're in to that sort of thing (I know many are), but I'm not.
It's not my kind of game either, but when I scrolled through the twitter feed about the game, the new feature for this Exa version is two new characters: Pink is Standard with two buttons, Blue is Advanced, and Purple is Freestyle. The original homebrew game only has that one titular pink character.

Tweet with new characters:
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

These gachapons excite me the most. If these are all over Japan this game could be a winner for operators.
Which, after all, is all that matters.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

CTN wrote: June 12th, 2021, 3:41 pmThese gachapons excite me the most. If these are all over Japan this game could be a winner for operators.
Which, after all, is all that matters.
Waiting for that exA crane game.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

If it brings the unit costs down. I'm all for it. Just think about a the crap Neo Geo hardware was used for.

In what countries is aracde gaming still relevant? 3rd world and emerging markets - operators make money with people unable to buy a ps5. But for these operators the exa is still too expensive.
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

redfield0009 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 3:18 am Good to hear about an update for Vritra. I'll hold off on my order until the update is out (I don't want to ship the cart for update). Gives me plenty of time to enjoy DDP and A&B.

Any idea if this update has been implemented yet?
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
redfield0009
Please Continue...
eBay: Robot_mountian_posters_and_gam
Initials: RFD

Post by redfield0009 »

thechop wrote: June 19th, 2021, 5:30 pm
redfield0009 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 3:18 am Good to hear about an update for Vritra. I'll hold off on my order until the update is out (I don't want to ship the cart for update). Gives me plenty of time to enjoy DDP and A&B.

Any idea if this update has been implemented yet?
I'd love to know as well. I haven't ordered it yet.
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

Post by jugemscloud »

i recently picked up kira kira for the famicom, its a fun little game and one of the few that has a female protagonist in a non aggressive/macho role so thought it would be a good way to introduce my niece into video games.

i can see it appealing to the female demographic of arcade goers in japan (with at least one floor in every taito station being devoted to photo booths) but i don't imagine they venture too often into the weeabo smoke pits where this game might be placed
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

Vritra Hexa 1.1 will ship with all new orders. Location testing just finished last week to rave reviews and income.
buffi

Post by buffi »

Shou wrote: June 21st, 2021, 11:14 am Vritra Hexa 1.1 will ship with all new orders. Location testing just finished last week to rave reviews and income.
Is there a list of differences somewhere?
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

Please could owners that have needed to perform an update explain the current procedure to me.

Is it as follows?

Games revision updates : send only the cartridge back exA HQ Japan (or local sales representative if in USA)

System updates: send the mother board back to exA HQ. System updates are only required when changes are made to the User Interface/general system functionality or when adding features for a game.

Who pays for the shipping and insurance costs, case by case basis? such as system update is free, game update is at user expense?

I assume owners simply fill out the customs form for to say it's a repair in the case of sending off the motherboard, to avoid paying taxes again when it comes back into the country.

I will add that I don't have any issue with the above procedure, just curious. In an ideal world a game cartridge would be able to also contain the system update but whatever keeps it simple often tends to be best.

Thanks
"Please contact the local attendant"
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

In my experience (contact Exa Support to be sure), you have to ship back to Japan at your expense. Updates are free (if you are the original buyer) but you have to pay return shipping*. Customs charges are "worked around". Motherboard updates should be a rare occurrence.

Exa Support log serial numbers and on request will send you an update form to complete with anything that has an available update. I'm hoping to do one update run a year in future unless there's anything game breaking.

*I think they made an exception for the unexpected 1.3 motherboard update.
MrJBRPG
exA-Arcadia Super Fan

Post by MrJBRPG »

buffi wrote: June 21st, 2021, 11:22 am
Shou wrote: June 21st, 2021, 11:14 am Vritra Hexa 1.1 will ship with all new orders. Location testing just finished last week to rave reviews and income.
Is there a list of differences somewhere?
I do not know enough Japanese, but the screenshots tell some more.

Vritra Hexa now updated to 1.1, including new and tricky Pink Vajra and some polishings, including press start to retry on caravan for beginning of run.
https://note.com/saddy575/n/n58c6dd7ebb51
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Pink Vajra? :think:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Bit of pink here

kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
VxD
eBay: virtualxdriver
Initials: VxD

Post by VxD »

SuperPang wrote: June 21st, 2021, 2:07 pm Updates are free (if you are the original buyer) but you have to pay return shipping.
How about transfer purchases?

I was considering buying Aka&Blue through a family member based in France since Tanoshimasu will not sell the damn thing in Japan.
On top of having to pay the EU import fees and twice the shipping rates, would that also cut me out from future updates? That would be a deal breaker if true. :(
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

VxD wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 5:33 am
SuperPang wrote: June 21st, 2021, 2:07 pm Updates are free (if you are the original buyer) but you have to pay return shipping.
How about transfer purchases?

I was considering buying Aka&Blue through a family member based in France since Tanoshimasu will not sell the damn thing in Japan.
On top of having to pay the EU import fees and twice the shipping rates, would that also cut me out from future updates? That would be a deal breaker if true. :(
There are no more updates planned for Aka & Blue Type-R.

Any support center would be able to update games or systems. We are looking at a location for European customers pending COVID.
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

Shou wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 10:13 amAny support center would be able to update games or systems. We are looking at a location for European customers pending COVID.
I'd say you've found it. ;)