Coin-operated games and arcades.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: Gimmick! EXACT☆MIX

Post by SuperPang »

nem wrote: January 10th, 2021, 10:36 am exa_gimmick_vga.jpg
Now that looks just right. The boxout at the bottom looks really neat and he's even left a bit of a gap for overscan. :D
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I hadn't seen that previous art style before. The current one is definitely loads better. Glad they ditched the old one.

Anyway, I was more thinking of just a 2x upres to what is there currently.

gimmick_upres.jpg

But yeah, I'm playing it on a 1080p 32" with my nose against the screen, so my opinion on it is skewed.

A windowed option would be grand though. Make 4:3 selectable too. I love the different screen options that are in Aka to Blue. That's the gold standard to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Post by Sunder »

nem wrote: January 9th, 2021, 4:45 pm
The last cart I flipped in my hands was Mr. Gimmick. I told her the game was crazy expensive, but somehow she wasn't all that interested in this fact? Women are so weird. Funny anecdote, when her brother heard about this, he asked to borrow the game and it's been 'lost' forever since.
Ah, quality brother. Those are the necks rear naked chokes were made for.
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Post by Sunder »

nem wrote: January 10th, 2021, 1:52 pm I hadn't seen that previous art style before. The current one is definitely loads better. Glad they ditched the old one.

Anyway, I was more thinking of just a 2x upres to what is there currently.

gimmick_upres.jpg

But yeah, I'm playing it on a 1080p 32" with my nose against the screen, so my opinion on it is skewed.

A windowed option would be grand though. Make 4:3 selectable too. I love the different screen options that are in Aka to Blue. That's the gold standard to me.
Did you do that upres pixel art? Looks good!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Sunder wrote: January 17th, 2021, 11:07 pmDid you do that upres pixel art? Looks good!
Yes, spent a whole 10 minutes on it. Both the eyes and feet are off now looking at it :oops:

Anyway, I have a DAC on its way to me. Looking forward to seeing what the game looks like on a nice CRT.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Boy is this game harder than it looks. :lol: Addictive though.

Question for @mikejmoffitt, why is the screen size smaller than other Exa titles when running in 480p?
IMG_6336.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

black borders for that extra retro feeling? :awe:
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Maybe I got the PAL version.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Could be that it's 2x the resolution of the NES game, so 448 pixels tall instead of 480?
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

SuperPang wrote: April 20th, 2021, 5:14 pm Boy is this game harder than it looks. :lol: Addictive though.

Question for @mikejmoffitt, why is the screen size smaller than other Exa titles when running in 480p?
IMG_6336.JPG
The top and bottom 8 pixels aren’t used because we’d have nothing to put there except a huge pile of HUD. The left and right sides were pinched in a tiny bit to try and maintain the pixel aspect ratio with that in mind - the original Famicom game expects your TV to throw away a lot of those lines - effectively “more zoomed in” so when we have a properly fit 480p canvas it’s a little challenging to not compromise the exact 2:1 scaling ratio while trying to make use of more space.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

IMG_6456.JPG
IMG_6461.JPG