I need to get a Supergun, but I'm an idiot

Everything Supergun related
Unknownsou
eBay: unknownsou630
Initials: VAG

I need to get a Supergun, but I'm an idiot

Post by Unknownsou »

So I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on getting a Supergun, but I have no idea how to go about it. I just want to buy one straight up, and I know that I want either VGA or component out, support for Neo Geo and Capcom 6-button games, and want one that has whatever the newest JROK encoder is (or something equivalent.) But I have no idea where to even buy one or how much one with these features will cost. Can anyone offer some sort of guidance?
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Re: I need to get a Supergun, but I'm an idiot

Post by jonny5 »

get at this guy....he is in the UK....he will make you a supergun to your specifications

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=24053
on the loose
Drakon
Please Continue...

Post by Drakon »

support for all 6 button games lol. Well you'd need to grab like every kick harness ever made and wire them all in. You need to be a bit more specific on which games you want to play with it. Since something like kick buttons are usually pcb specific most superguns require you to wire the extra buttons on your own. Even saying "capcom" there's different types of capcom kick harnesses. So you'd either need to get an adapter or only settle with either cps1 or cps2 style. And for capcom games that run on other platforms like naomi I don't even know what kind of harness that uses for a supergun.

And...support for neo geo? You mean....the 4th button? Or do you mean stereo sound from the jamma port? You do realize that different models of the neo geo have different pinouts? And if you buy the wrong type of mvs then you can blow the sound on it. So again you have to be a bit more specific.

Unfortunately there's no such thing as universal plug and play for all arcade hardware so you either have to be able to build/mod the supergun yourself or you have to know exactly which games/boards you plan to use it on.

"Shmups members Ive made Superguns for-
Johnny5, Arc, alberto1225, jedahsministry, Sploit, Kahn, Gorbct, Adderall, Oxoid, Dragoforce, Luckyday, Acidburns, Domino"

lol he spelled it with a "h" as well

oh and don't consider yourself an idiot. Superguns are not a simple thing to deal with.
Unknownsou
eBay: unknownsou630
Initials: VAG

Post by Unknownsou »

Okay, getting more specific:

For Capcom games, I meant CPS1 and CPS2 games only. I don't have any need for Naomi, ZN-1, ZN-2, etc., or stuff that came out prior to CPS-1. For Neo Geo, I'd be using the MV-1C board. And I'd also want to play shmups that are just straight up PCBs that don't require an additional motherboard. I'm hoping I can just do that all with one supergun and have everything work out. Somehow.
Drakon
Please Continue...

Post by Drakon »

Unknownsou wrote:Okay, getting more specific:

For Capcom games, I meant CPS1 and CPS2 games only. I don't have any need for Naomi, ZN-1, ZN-2, etc., or stuff that came out prior to CPS-1. For Neo Geo, I'd be using the MV-1C board. And I'd also want to play shmups that are just straight up PCBs that don't require an additional motherboard. I'm hoping I can just do that all with one supergun and have everything work out. Somehow.
lol zn-1/2 use a cps2 kick harness. And I can't imagine many platforms before cps1 using a kick harness considering cps1 came out in like 1988. MV-1C should be fine with a regular jamma setup so you should be okay there. Shmups that require additional motherboards? Could you give me some examples? All shmups I've seen are just single pcbs. But now that I have more info building a gun to do what you want would be very easy. Heck the one I built does all that and more. Here's a video showing how easy it is for me to switch pcbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaDqQ4ss ... annel_page

And here's one of it running with ketsui

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oWQtPro ... annel_page

Now the one j5 linked you to is nicer looking...but it costs more so I guess you get what you pay for. Except I remember him saying his supergun doesn't work right with ketsui and games that have high colour. My gun doesn't have that problem so I guess that's one advantage I have. Anyway for the setup you described all you'd need would be a jamma harness wired into a psu with an encoder board and a kick harness. And some custom sticks/pads that're probably going to have to be straight wired especially to support up to 6 button games. As you can see my setup I have a kick harness for each board hooked into usb ports. This way I can easily connect/disconnect my kick buttons. I also set it up this way so I wouldn't have to open the case to the board and risk damaging it when I want to change games. Some boards you can even cheat with using a pin connector from something else to build a cheap kick harness. Since buying a kick harness for each board can be expensive. But anyway...the guy j5 linked you to could easily build one that does all the things you want it to do.
ruderudie
Please Continue...

Post by ruderudie »

Are you sure that playing the PCB in a closed plastic box doesn't harm the PCB or gets too hot?
Drakon
Please Continue...

Post by Drakon »

ruderudie wrote:Are you sure that playing the PCB in a closed plastic box doesn't harm the PCB or gets too hot?
I've been playing it for months that way. I've had days where I'd play it for 4-5 hours straight. And like I mentioned in other threads, I installed a huge fan on the side of the case. The pcb isn't harmed because it's seperated from the case by pcb feet. I don't understand why people on every forum don't believe that this actually safely works
ruderudie
Please Continue...

Post by ruderudie »

O well i believe every word you say since it's your invention and it has been thoroughly tested by you as you stated. I was just wondering if the temperature in the box wouldn't get too high and damage the pcb. For instance, sometimes people disconnect the fan in a CPS2 mobo, and it damages the pcb if you play it for a long time. But that's i a way smaller plastic body anyway, heats up a lot quicker.
Drakon
Please Continue...

Post by Drakon »

ruderudie wrote:O well i believe every word you say since it's your invention and it has been thoroughly tested by you as you stated. I was just wondering if the temperature in the box wouldn't get too high and damage the pcb. For instance, sometimes people disconnect the fan in a CPS2 mobo, and it damages the pcb if you play it for a long time. But that's i a way smaller plastic body anyway, heats up a lot quicker.
ahh. Well all my cases have fans installed except mercs and gunforce. Those two games hardly heat up at all
shaktazuki
Please Continue...

Post by shaktazuki »

I think these guys invented the supergun: http://www.massystems.com/SuperNOVA.html
BackInTimeSime

Post by BackInTimeSime »

You gota love the Neo-Geo sticks on that link above, they dont come cheap though...
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

If you're handy with a soldering iron, build your own.

PM me if you need specs

John
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
BackInTimeSime

Post by BackInTimeSime »

I am looking to sell on my supergun, but am looking to replace my Mame cable controls (currently using a X-Arcade stick), would your specs also help with that???