Anyone use a Framemeister with their 'gun / control box?

Everything Supergun related
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Anyone use a Framemeister with their 'gun / control box?

Post by bloodhokuto »

Recently got a Framemeister, and all my consoles look AMAZING on the flatscreen.

Don't get me wrong a good CRT will still beat it, but it's not far off, especially adding the convenience of using a LCD/LED rather than a big smelly CRT.

Anyway, where was I, like I said, consoles = great. But unfortunately things get a bit shakey when it comes to my supergun.

I have a Sigma AV5000, which I have had for nearly 15 years, its seen good service, but unfortunately I get annoying synch problems running anything through it.

I can get an almost still picture, by adjusting the synch manually on the FM, but for no reason I get varying result, some days it is worse / better than others despite the settings being the same.

I've tried a standard lead, a lead that has a strike circuit feeding off the internal power and also a strike lead that uses an external power input. I have to use a Strike lead and neither versions work better than the other.

I've tested CPS2/3 MVS and a few PCB's with the same outcome, so it is likely to be the surgeon itself that is causing it.

Anyone got a mini framemeister and gets a good result from a supergun?

Finally, I have been checking out some of those control boxes, and for some reason I really want one now, they're so cool.
Cupp
Please Continue...

Re: Anyone use a Framemeister with their 'gun / control box?

Post by Cupp »

Hello,

I don't know if this will really help, but I'm using a XRGB-Mini with my Sigma Raijin with no problems.
I bought a XRGB euro scart cable with a synch stripper from Retro Gaming Cables:
http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/mico ... ipper.html"

Only problem I have is with CPS2 brightness...
Hope that help
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, it may well be my particular gun that is causing the issue, as it seems to be on all stuff I use in it.

I got two of my cables from those guys, to no avail.

I seem to be looking at control boxes a lot recently ... very tempted, although they are a lot of cash.

Finally, does the Raijin not have a brightness control? CPS2 comes out dark on my AV5000, but I have a brightness control (the only extra feature it has to be said).

*edit I see the Raijin question seems to have been answered in the other thread.
Tarma
eBay: king-o-cheese

Post by Tarma »

While I cannot help with your technical issues on your AV5000, what I can say is I use the XRGB Mini with my AV9000 without any issues and it gives a superb picture on the Panasonic flat panel I use for gaming.

Oh and I still use the Sigma supplied RGB scart cable rather than a Euro cable, but I doubt there's much, if any, difference.
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

Tarma wrote:While I cannot help with your technical issues on your AV5000, what I can say is I use the XRGB Mini with my AV9000 without any issues and it gives a superb picture on the Panasonic flat panel I use for gaming.

Oh and I still use the Sigma supplied RGB scart cable rather than a Euro cable, but I doubt there's much, if any, difference.
Cheers for the feedback, I actually had some developments after one of the latest firmware updates came out. I posted it somewhere here, but strangely not in my own thread ... doh!

Anyway, since the last update, where there was more scope in the synch settings, I have been able to get a stable picture. I still have some minor issues, but its pretty good. I still need the two direct types of cables to get everything working right, as there seems to be always one pcb that needs the non-standard cable.

With all that said, I have been using my framemeister less and less these days, because I picked up a little PVM. God Damn those things are all you'll ever need if you're a retro fan.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Cool, glad to hear you got it sorted.

Tbh, I really did consider getting either a PVM or BVM but the picture I get on my set up, just doesn't justify the additional outlay for a monitor.

I did recent pick up a Trinitron CRT so I could start playing Time Crisis 2 again with the Guncon, and I really can't say there's a discernable difference between the CRT and LCD/Framemeister set up. But that's just me! :awe:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I'm a bit out of touch with these things but Solaris used to be the place for Micromsoft stuff.
https://solarisjapan.com/collections/mi ... caler-unit
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

Tarma wrote:Cool, glad to hear you got it sorted.

Tbh, I really did consider getting either a PVM or BVM but the picture I get on my set up, just doesn't justify the additional outlay for a monitor.

I did recent pick up a Trinitron CRT so I could start playing Time Crisis 2 again with the Guncon, and I really can't say there's a discernable difference between the CRT and LCD/Framemeister set up. But that's just me! :awe:
I do think the FM looks good, don't get me wrong, but a PVM / BVM is totally in another league.

Actually, to put it another way, once you see a PVM/BVM in action you won't want to use a FM, and you start getting critical of your best cab's monitor!
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

kernow wrote:Where did you buy it from dude? I'm looking to pick one up.
The Framemeister or the Trinitron? :eh:

The Framemeister I picked up through Amazon.co.jp as it was the cheapest way at the time (about two years ago) as they were on offer.

I think a lot of people use Solaris as Joe said above.

The Trinitron I bought off eBay for the princly sum of £1. Had to drive down to Hemel Hempstead to pick it up, but it was well worth it :awe:

Used Framemeisters pop up here and on shmups.com from time-to-time, but I don't honestly see them sell for much cheaper than new tbh.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

bloodhokuto wrote:
Tarma wrote:Cool, glad to hear you got it sorted.

I do think the FM looks good, don't get me wrong, but a PVM / BVM is totally in another league.

Actually, to put it another way, once you see a PVM/BVM in action you won't want to use a FM, and you start getting critical of your best cab's monitor!

Maybe I'll look into it again at some point. I'm really happy with my set up at the moment, the FM picture looks great framed at 4:3 ratio on a 16:9 screen.