Planet Harriers supergun, need help

Everything Supergun related
SGGG2
Please Continue...
eBay: icehonkey

Planet Harriers supergun, need help

Post by SGGG2 »

I'm diving into this head first with only a small clue as to what I'm doing... :awe:

Can anyone advise me on the proper way to ship a pulled hikaru? I've read it's best to take off the heat sinks and ship them in a separate box. Is it safe to have to two boards packed (separately) in the same box sans heatsinks?
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Re: Planet Harriers supergun, need help

Post by andygeezer »

You need to fill the cage with bubble wrap so there is little to no movement, otherwise the drag/flex will stress the heatsinks/BGA, once the heat sink falls off it will destory the PCB. Lot of people use glue guns to add extra blobs to keep those heat sinks down.
Say hello to my little friend...
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Thanks, Andy! I appreciate any and all help. Flying blind here. :palm:

Seller is currently gutting the cab, there are two transformers near the bottom by the foot rests, do I need these or are they for powering the marquee lights and whatnot? Also, both power supplies are shot, are they worth shipping for possible repair or should I just forget about them?

EDIT: Okay, klov's informed me that powersupply's are easy to fix.
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

from irepairsega;
If you need to ship a Hikaru system, it should be shipped out of the cage on it's metal base. This
cuts down on a lot of mass and allows you to secure the pcb's in bubble wrap. This of course
hinders pcb flex and vibration. The Naomi platforms are nicely secured so that there is little to
no possibility of flex, so these are safe to ship in cages. Also I recommend air shipment on
these. When they go ground there is more possiblilty of damage occuring.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

You got to remember that when they are shipped in cabinets, there is no protection, they are just screwed to a wooden base and generally delivered in a truck over bumpy roads.

But yeah, USA seems to be home of the thickest packers out there, all the worst package parcels come from over there, bubble wrap what's that!! :think:

With all PCBs you must think about protection, just like sex with a hooker - do you want to risk going in without a protection, or do you want to double wrap..
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

via jase:
I got mine from a seller in America, he removed the whole PCB from the metal cage and packed them both seperately. Both were packed very well in clear plastic cling-film like material, then wrapped in bubble wrap inside a carboard box.
We're going to use hot glue and bubble wrap to secure the heat sinks and PCB, but I'm uncertain on whether to leave the cages on or ship separately. :think:

I'm receiving two Hikaru's BTW.

EDIT: Ken @ irepairsega:
The Hikaru system should be shipped mounted to the steel plate it sits on in cage. Just never ship in cage. I usually wrap with large bubble type about 6 turns around set and tape ends. Makes a beachball almost. The ship in box no smaller than 20x20x15. Use packing penuts around wrap.
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

The sound, comm and ROM boards should be taken off the motherboard for shipping, correct? :palm:
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Okay, just got all the guts today :twisted: Seller forgot to send the control panels, may have possibly thrown them out :palm:

I cleaned the PCB's and set up a main board with the ROM, com and sound boards. Can anyone tell me what this is and what it's for?

andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

SGGG2 wrote:Okay, just got all the guts today :twisted: Seller forgot to send the control panels, may have possibly thrown them out :palm:

I cleaned the PCB's and set up a main board with the ROM, com and sound boards. Can anyone tell me what this is and what it's for?

Quad audio amp, PH is 4 channel sound.
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Okay, here's what I've got so far, taking it slow so I don't F up

From left to right - Connected: audio cable, VGA connector and power supply(?) cable
Empty: Fiber optic connectors, USB connector

IIRC the fiber optic cables are for linking Hikaru boards together in a dual cab set up, but what's the USB cable for? (EDIT: USB connects to the controller/JVS board)

The audio cabling has 12 connectors, the audio board has 8. :crazy:

Image Image Image

The power supplies from the cab were shot, so I picked up an untested one from a Naomi in it's place. The connectors don't match up.
Last edited by SGGG2 on January 14th, 2012, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Made some progress with the power supply; there was some extra cabling attached, took it off and everything fit.

There's three connectors out of the main cabling, two are connected to the board, and this loose one (2x 4 rows).

3 Pin connector on the back, and what I can only assume is a cut ground wire?
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

One end of the sound board populated.

Ah! The extra cable from the power supply connects to the sound board.

These two connecters are identical, does it matter which one's connected to CN3 or 4?

Two rows of mystery black connectors.
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Blue: Connects two power supplies to a common ground (right?)
Yellow: Female 3-pin power connector. Ugh, I need a gender changer. :palm:
Done for the night...
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Planet harriers through a GBS-8220. My XRGB-3 doesn't see 24khz. How do you change the scan rate to 31?

EDIT:
andygeezer wrote:test button, there is a test and service button on the hikaru mainboard, near where the rear fans are.

You can also wire a test/service button on the I/O board
Huh? What's up with all these dots!!!!?? :evil: :lol: :mad:

The GBS looks fine with my dreamcast. The wiring's for a dual cab if it makes any difference. I hacked a power cable and taped it up. (One more Hikaru set to clean and test!)

Seller threw out the controls. When I told him I wanted the "control panels" and "analog sticks" he thought I was talking about PCB's. :palm: Here's hoping I get the audio running and manage to wire up a Seimitsu LS-64 correctly. :think:
Last edited by SGGG2 on January 16th, 2012, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Uh-oh, let the game run; mountains in the attract mode are glitching, Youtube vid is fine; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kED3wt6p90"

Something damaged. Hopefully the other board's okay.

EDIT: Hooked up the second Hikaru set to the same wiring, sound and JVS boards. Everthing's good! :D
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Okay, I swapped all the daughter boards from the Hikaru with dots to the other one and everything's good, so it must be the main board. Dave K over @ Shmups says I'm **** without the controls;
Without the panel you'd be screwed. Even the replacement sticks I bought needed to have parts from the original stick transplanted to make it work correctly. There is also a little sub-pcb attached to the panel that interfaces the analog stick to the Naomi I/O. http://arcadefever.blogspot.com/2007/07 ... ticks.html"

Can anyone clarify this? I was hoping to use a Semitsu LS-64. :(
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Monkey Ball uses the same stick (with slightly different pots) and the same sub-PCB as Planet Harriers, and you can play Monkey Ball with a regular analog stick, so I'm pretty sure you're not ****.
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Does anyone know what size the fans in the Hikaru cage are? I'd like to replace them, they're too loud.
SGGG2
Please Continue...

Post by SGGG2 »

Okay, got the original controls set up, but I'm not getting any sound. I wired RCA L/R to a stand alone amp, and I'm not getting anything (I tried all four channels). The amp works fine with my Dreamcast so it can't be the issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Fixed via service menu