RGB or SCART

Everything Supergun related
BackInTimeSime

RGB or SCART

Post by BackInTimeSime »

Hello

Right after not finding a supergun, I think I will make my own, be a bit of fun...

I think I have found 90% of the info I need, one this though a little confusing, whats going to be the differance between me using a single phone connection to my UK TV (has 3 phono inputs on the front, so much easier to get to (left, right and picture) and SCART, should I use one over the other, phono is easier due to front connections, but dont want to skip phone if it going to give a better picture...

I see you can put pots on the Red Green Blue (forgot for now :) ) to add a little controll to the colours, I assume this will only really work with SCART??
BackInTimeSime

Re: RGB or SCART

Post by BackInTimeSime »

Great taaa for the response, that clears that up nice. I got some componants coming (100ohm resister and pots as investigated), I also got a few phones and a female SCART to cover my bases, I will use the SCART though. I had a supergun in the past, and my TV oddly showed black and white on SCART2 and perfect in SCART1, so that was a little odd :)
BackInTimeSime

Post by BackInTimeSime »

Ahh all becomes clear :awe:
BackInTimeSime

Post by BackInTimeSime »

OK, got it all working, have a few minor questions, I have read about 100ohm resisters on 5v+ on blanking, now this link http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/scart.html" shows that that is 16, and I can group that on 18, but what does this do??

Currently I have run straight from my JAMMA to the RGB and SYNC and all works, I added some pots, but to be honest the picture is perfect as it is... So do I need this blanking???

Also about sound, I would like to run it though my TV if possible, again I turned the TV down, add the JAMMA connection onto pin 3 and nice, sounds pretty good, also pin 1 sounds fine through other speaker? I am sure it aint that simple but its seems to work :) also can I just jump 1 and 3 so I get mono but out both speakers??

So far though so good, all working, playing away nice, though currently its just wires and a joystick, need to put this into a neat box...
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Pin 16 should be fed between 1-3v to tell the tv the source is rgb. A resistor on a 5v line is used to get the correct voltage. It might not matter if you use the full 5v or don't connect it all, depends on your tv, but I'd do it properly if I were you. ;)

For audio you should be able to feed the mono out to both inputs as you describe. Be very careful though as you can blow the tv speakers if the output is too high, afaik jamma outputs amplified mono and your tv will then amplify the signal again. Always check the volume pot on your game boards and make sure it is set to very low, then adjust.

Edit: with that said, I think the left (check the scart pinout) audio in is for mono, so your tv should detect if audio is on both inputs or not and adjust accordingly, i.e. your tv should direct mono input to both speakers anyway. Again, find a reliable scart pinout (there is a good one on wikipedia) and follow it to the letter to make sure you get set up correctly and avoid any issues. :)
BackInTimeSime

Post by BackInTimeSime »

Ahh ok that explains it great, looks like mine does not need it, as it works without, but will wire it up anyway as you say, I have the resisiter so will use that.

The sound I did wire both left and right together, but decided to use some amp speakers, as dont care it they get busted...

Whole thing is working great, so I am pleased with the results, I will wire that extra 5v cable in though.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

I remember the first "supergun" I made, using a jamma harness, a scart cable, a pc power supply, a pair of scissors and some sellotape :awe: The first time I saw the street fighter alpha title screen on my little 15" tv was a special moment :)
BackInTimeSime

Post by BackInTimeSime »

Yer, its a great little project, and I guess us Uk chaps with our SCART plugs are all the luckier :)

Mine was my crappy blue elf (didnt want to fire it up with anything good), it fired up and looked great, few seconds later the red went, looked down and my crimped cable I have pushed onto the scart socket had dropped off :mrgreen: