Cave SH3 emulation

Everything Emulator related
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Cave SH3 emulation

Post by cools »

Got any recentish Windows machines with a decent GPU lying around? They run pretty well nowadays on moderate hardware, but the shaders you need to get them looking nice need GPU grunt. Just to test before you invest.

An account on pleasuredome UK will get you all you need files wise.

You need GroovyMAME even if you're running on an LCD, it fixes various things (latency and smooth scrolling). Windows 10 is horrendous, personal preference would be Windows 7 although if thats too old for the hardware - Win 10 LTSB and some elbow grease suffices.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

There's loads of chat around specs on the GroovyMAME forum: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?board=52.0

If I was building something now I'd bang in an i3 8350K and work around that with something Micro ATX - personal preference, the size vs price premium on Mini ITX puts me off and it's worse with a decent NUC. You could go cheap with a Pentium though and get practically the same end result (although be aware that the SH3 driver does benefit from multiple cores).

There's a new CRT_Emudriver supporting newer Radeons in the pipeline so it might be worthwhile waiting for that. You don't strictly need CRT_Emudriver (or a Radeon) however the combination is pretty much guaranteed to work with GM - and see: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1670922 and http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1670929
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

So how is SH3 emulation regarding slow down?
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

trev1976 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 6:46 pm So how is SH3 emulation regarding slow down?
Imperfect, but set blitter delay / CPU underclock to "recommended" settings and unless you are super intimate with the original PCBs it's fine.
kernow wrote: January 29th, 2019, 9:56 pm I'm thinking a modern i5 with a gpu will do ok
Aye. Single thread performance is still king for MAME but multicore shows benefit in some places. Get the highest clocked you can. And tbh a simple scanline and shadowmask filter is enough to kill sharp pixels, the fancy CRT simulation shaders only come into their own on 4K monitors.
EOJ
eBay: NA

Post by EOJ »

trev1976 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 6:46 pm So how is SH3 emulation regarding slow down?
OK for three Yagawa games: Ibara, PS, MMP. Very bad for everything else.
Website: cave-stg.com | Twitter: @cavexstg | Youtube: eojx9999
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Edit: I mean, it’s good to hear, the yagawa games are well emulated.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Thats changed since I was messing with it before, the Yagawa was way off but the Ikeda was pretty close.
gozaimas
eBay: yodamiffy
Initials: GOZ

Post by gozaimas »

If you don't want to bother putting stuff together yourself, I very much recommend one of 2human's MiniKabs: http://www.arcadepcs.com/mk3/. They are brilliant pieces of kit.

On the MK3, all the newer Cave stuff runs well so long as you set the 'blitter' setting on in Mame's settings for each individual title. Without this tweak they are unplayable for me. Worth noting that one of the Mame contributors seems to be chipping away at improving CV1000 emulation, as there have been upgrades in the previous two Mame builds (0.204 + 0.205).

Mame emulation of Cave's PGM stuff is indistinguishable from the original boards to my eyes/ fingers.
Dache

Post by Dache »

gozaimas wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:48 pm Worth noting that one of the Mame contributors seems to be chipping away at improving CV1000 emulation, as there have been upgrades in the previous two Mame builds (0.204 + 0.205).
Have the improvements been noticeable at all? I try to keep an eye on the changelogs for anything relating to CV1000 improvements as they (among other things) can be a good enough reason to go through the hassle of updating MAME. Completely missed anything recent though...