Changing games/resolutions on the fly will eventually kill an arcade monitor?

Everything Emulator related
Mantrox
eBay: Mantrox

Changing games/resolutions on the fly will eventually kill an arcade monitor?

Post by Mantrox »

I have been wondering about this problem for some time now.
As the monitor is the most fragile and fiddly part of the arcade cab, i want to have it stay healthy and working for as long as possible.
If you have an emulation setup in a cab (with crtemu drivers and so forth), with multiple games wich run at different resolutions, and you keep changing games and going back and forth between the frontend and the games, wont this behaviour have an effect on the monitor and eventually kill it?

What's the solution? Is there one?
I have a 14" PVM right next to my cab, would it be a good ideia to have a vga switcher and take care of the boot up and game selection on the PVM, and then switch on the cab and flip the input over?

And the million dollar question, am i being an idiot and missing something simple? :oops:
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Re: Changing games/resolutions on the fly will eventually kill an arcade monitor?

Post by ninn »

I already lost a monitor to this resolution switching.
Savest way - I guess - is playing all games at the same resolution, so there is no need to switch it.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: Changing games/resolutions on the fly will eventually kill an arcade monitor?

Post by DaveyD »

ninn wrote:I already lost a monitor to this resolution switching.
Savest way - I guess - is playing all games at the same resolution, so there is no need to switch it.
Was you just switching between slightly different 15k resolutions, or do you have a multi sync, and you was swapping from 15k to 31k?
Mantrox
eBay: Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

ninn wrote:I already lost a monitor to this resolution switching.
Exactly. That's what i thought.