GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Everything Emulator related
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Re: GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Post by Shadolf »

keropi, you've posted a gm 0.192 in another thread. I was on 0.171 and updated to your 0.192 today. Sound and everything works fine, but I have a problem with the images of the games. When I enter a game, I get huge black borders on top and bottom of the screen. I expect I got something wrong with VMMaker or the mame.ini. Do you or someone else have any idea or solution? I could post the .ini file!? The .ini of version 0.192 is somewhat different to my old 0.171 one.
keropi
Please Continue...
eBay: sainshov

Post by keropi »

I had video issues as well , the solution for me was to update crtemudriver - calamity released a new version a week or so before 0.192 , I bet updating will work for you as well
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

keropi wrote:I had video issues as well , the solution for me was to update crtemudriver - calamity released a new version a week or so before 0.192 , I bet updating will work for you as well
Do you mean this one?
[24/11/2017][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 11]

EDIT:
Tried this and it seems to work. Thanks!
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

nice it worked for you too! :awe:
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

Here is a full mame+mess (x64 , d3d9ex , nonag) build : http://www.mediafire.com/file/73c2hi2a2 ... d9ex-k.rar

and here is an arcade only version of the above build: http://www.mediafire.com/file/x9vbdxa5o ... d3d9ex.rar

Calamity also released new versions of CRTEmuDriver and ATOM tool that support output of composite-sync from boot, read more here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1639216
arcadista
Initials: AIL

Post by arcadista »

Thank you very much Keropi!
I really wanted to get this version as I understand that cave emulation is much faster and also includes thunder hoop 2 from gaelco finally running.
Now I can test it in my windows arcade machine!!!!

I don't know the rest of you, but to me this 0.192 version is like a milestone. The previous one to me was 0.157 which included support for Raiden 2.
I feel that 0.192 is going to be the one to have for a very long time until mame emulates advanced systems like Naomi well enough.

I still have to learn how to update a mame machine that runs groovyarcade, the linux distribution. I have that inside an aero city with vertical screen and used it to play shoot 'em ups. I wonder if it is strong enough to run cave games now that new versions of mame are that much faster. It is a core 2 duo at 2.4ghz pc. Anyway, I don't know anything about linux, I find it very hard to understand. I am not new with computers, I had Amiga and Pc Ms-dos and windows. But I can't get to understand linux or arch linux to be more specific.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Composite sync? Nice, I can bin my dodgy BNC cable on my PVM machine.
SmokeyFingaz
Please Continue...

Post by SmokeyFingaz »

Hi all, been out of the game for a few years (KIDS!!) and would like to get back into the hobby by tweaking / upgrading my existing mame setup. Had Hyperspin once running but tbh it was a bit of a pig and too much messing about (also I have forgotten a lot about how it was setup). Havent had the cab on for ages so am hoping to start from scratch again and build upon this guide - it is a guide for dummies - so it speaks to me! My understanding is that the guide is still the best and cleanest way to go but that I should be looking for setting it up with a 0.192 version? is that correct?

Hardware is an egret 2 cab (or to be exact one of the atomiswave conversions from one of the groupbuys from the first insertcoin), so 31khz monitor - had softkhz once working, so graphics card outputs correctly / 2p12b setup with a jammASD2 (kick buttons still not setup - any pointers for how to get this working with the converter would be great - cant understand the old instructions). PC is an older dual core but should be ok for what I want to throw at it (cps2, cps3, neogeo). have to drill out the lock for the cabs coinbox as I am missing the key - what would the correct (and cheapest) replacement lock be?

Thanks - it is quite daunting when starting out new again.

sf
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

You're better off following the "official" guides now. Buy yourself a Radeon HD5000 series card. Windows 7 64-bit. Super resolutions.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

cools wrote:You're better off following the "official" guides now. Buy yourself a Radeon HD5000 series card. Windows 7 64-bit. Super resolutions.
I would say nowdays the recommendation is a Radeon HD6000 series card - Calamity says they are easier to setup something to do with signal polarities. Since both are cheap I'd go with the 6xxx series just to play it safe :)
SmokeyFingaz
Please Continue...

Post by SmokeyFingaz »

Thanks for the reply guys
I've just checked my rig and am on win xp / Ati HD 3800 (soft-khz compat.) / athlon dual core 4450b (2,31GHz & 2GB RAM). Will the switch to Win7 and the upgrade to a 6xxx card be the way to go or will win7 be more resource-hungry and slow the pc down? Also, what groovymame version do the experts recommend for good compatability - 0.192?
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

6xxxx vga, patch the bios with atom-15 (another program by Calamity will make the card use 15k modes from boot), win7x64, latest crtemudriver and groovymame and choose the d3d9ex version as it offers less frame lag out of the box.
There is no reason to stay to old groovy versions, latest ones contain fixes and optimizations. Just setup your cab with the latest versions and if all work well keep it until an important update comes up or a new version mame supports a game(s) you are interested.
Also don't forget to use the wasapi sound api - it offers less audio latency so it's good :D
SmokeyFingaz
Please Continue...

Post by SmokeyFingaz »

Thanks keropi, just bought a second hand pc with a hd6850 card - will see how i get on when a new power supply arrives!
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

SmokeyFingaz wrote:Thanks keropi, just bought a second hand pc with a hd6850 card - will see how i get on when a new power supply arrives!
nice, very easy to install just follow this tutorial: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v ... 1052#p1052 :awe:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

keropi wrote:
cools wrote:You're better off following the "official" guides now. Buy yourself a Radeon HD5000 series card. Windows 7 64-bit. Super resolutions.
I would say nowdays the recommendation is a Radeon HD6000 series card - Calamity says they are easier to setup something to do with signal polarities. Since both are cheap I'd go with the 6xxx series just to play it safe :)
Got a link?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Linux became viable for MAME earlier this year:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1647493
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

cools wrote:
keropi wrote:
Got a link?
Sadly not atm - it's burred in Calamity's posts in the arcadecontrols forums - I remember it because I was using a 5450 at the time and switched to a 6670 after reading this.
If I find the post I'll link it but it is common that "good" GM knowledge is buried in various places in it's forum ...
It has to do with signal polairities IIRC, 5000 has them reversed by default or something and some monitors do not like it.

Another similar important thing that is not mentioned much is that after you install CRTEmudriver for 5000+ cards you need to disable the "AMD EXTERNAL EVENTS" system service since it likes to interfere and re-enable 31khz signal even if you have modded the card's BIOS with ATOM-15.
If this happens and you get an unusable display (but maybe you can still make out something) the solution is to go to VMMAKER , disable EDID EMULATION and re-enable it. This will make the card output a 15khz signal again so you can continue using your cab (and kill the amd service to prevent this from happening again).
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I found the ones where he's saying pre-5000 series had the correct polarity default and 5000+ have it incorrect, and the fix being added to CRT_EmuDriver.

EDIT: Aha, found it. 6450 are faster, therefore might be more reliable for mega high super resolutions: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1608538. However they only have a single analogue output.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

heh nice! maybe I was confused after all...
What I did end up getting was 2x 6670s with 1GB GDDR5 memory (most common is the GDDR3 models) just for some headroom. I also don't have a use for a 2nd analog output so I didn't think twice.
The way I see it though the future will be 1xAnalog if we are lucky since VGA ports are non-existent on newer cards, only budget ones still use them... I really hope someone will finish that framebuffer device so we get rid of all that D3D9ex/resolutions/driver qwirks once and for all, at one point it will be inevitable....
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Hi everyone,
i have still GroovyMAME arcade only 0.192 on my setup and i thought it´s time for an update.
Now i have no clue about any changes since my version. Can i just update my MAME folder and it´s ok, or is there anything else to do?
I use it with a Toshiba PF and crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_11_12.6_W.7.8.10-64.
Any help would be appriciated.