GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Everything Emulator related
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Post by cools »

I update mine every few months to whatever is the latest then. On 162 at the moment, think it's a full set bar software lists and CHDs too. Doesn't take long to update stuff.
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

cools wrote:I update mine every few months to whatever is the latest then. On 162 at the moment, think it's a full set bar software lists and CHDs too. Doesn't take long to update stuff.
ok thanks cools, just curious...as i can't remember now.....if i download a new set of roms specific for said version, do i still need to run clrmamepro? :eh:
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Run a clrmamepro scan on your current set, then a rebuild using the newly downloaded stuff.
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

cools wrote:Run a clrmamepro scan on your current set, then a rebuild using the newly downloaded stuff.
Thank you sir! ;)
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
jamesm801
Please Continue...

Post by jamesm801 »

New user, I aologize if I was supposed to post a new topic but it wouldn't let me.

I orginally bought an ATI HD4350 and had good luck with GroovyMame and CRT Emulation driver. All the games were running at the correct speeds and many resolutions were working. I had used VMMaker to add 120 modelines in Windows 7 x64.

Well then I got an ArcadeVGA, thinking wow, this will be enven better. What a nightmare.

The problem is is that I have an 1920x1080 LCD on HDMI, and a Sony BVM-D24E1WU 24" wide screen monitor on the second VGA output. This WAS working fine with the HD4350 because I could tell mame, and VMMaker to use Display2 for modeline and display selection.

Well after installing the Arcade VGA everything went to crap. I realized that their utility is only meant for the primary display, and I couldn't get anything to work on my secondary vga output properly.

So I ripped that out, put the HD4350 back in, and removed the ATI driver several times, reinstalled the CRT Emulation driver several times and...

While I can get my resolutions working again on my Sony as a second monitor, no mater what I do, many of the games run unthrottled. MK is unplayable as it running at 10x speed. However, joust ran fine. It defies explan ation (to me).

I know putting this Arcade VGA in screwed it up somehow. I've tried starting over with a new mameui.ini and that didn't help, I've tried regular mame, and that too runs games too fast.

Anyone have any idea what has happened?

I have tried googling this for quite some time and I really don't want to re-install my entire machine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

You need to either rollback your system using the Recovery control panel in Win7 (there will be a restore point before you added the arcadeVGA driver) or use a driver cleaner, there must be some remnant left somewhere.
xga

Post by xga »

jamesm801, not to send you away from here, but it might also be worth posting the question at the Groovymame forum http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?board=52.0 . If you take a log of MK

Code: Select all

groovymame.exe mkromname.zip -v > mk.txt
and post the contents of the mk.txt file in the sticky thread "Games with ISSUES: report here!", I'm sure that Calamity will be able to make a few suggestions for you to try, which will hopefully resolve the issue.
DanielGabassi
Please Continue...
eBay: dgabassi

Post by DanielGabassi »

Sorry about the dumb question but, why it's called GroovyMAME instead just MAME?
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

Because this is the version made for CRT screens and low resolutions
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
DanielGabassi
Please Continue...

Post by DanielGabassi »

trev1976 wrote:Because this is the version made for CRT screens and low resolutions
So this is specific for CRT monitors? What's the diferences comparing to standard MAME?
It's working with soft15 and quickres or the MAME itself is different?
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

GroovyMAME is a custom M.A.M.E. build mainly aimed at CRT monitors, as we are convinced CRT technology is a must when it comes to enjoying emulation in its full glory. However you can use GroovyMAME to alliviate some of the annoyances associated to emulation on LCD displays, specially for those models which are capable of refreshing at custom rates.

GroovyMAME's main features as compared to official MAME:

- Improved video and audio synchronization that achieves truly smooth scrolling, tearing-free video and hiccup-free sound.

- Automatic generation of custom video timings for CRT monitors.

- Reduced input latency
DanielGabassi
Please Continue...

Post by DanielGabassi »

cRacKh0rN wrote:
GroovyMAME is a custom M.A.M.E. build mainly aimed at CRT monitors, as we are convinced CRT technology is a must when it comes to enjoying emulation in its full glory. However you can use GroovyMAME to alliviate some of the annoyances associated to emulation on LCD displays, specially for those models which are capable of refreshing at custom rates.

GroovyMAME's main features as compared to official MAME:

- Improved video and audio synchronization that achieves truly smooth scrolling, tearing-free video and hiccup-free sound.

- Automatic generation of custom video timings for CRT monitors.

- Reduced input latency
Oh, thanks! :D
zapata77
Please Continue...

Post by zapata77 »

Hello guys,
I am taking the first steps with the "groovymame + arcade monitor" setup and i decide to follow the excellent tutorial from cools (which I thank you - people who invest their time to share and help others with common interests can only have our thanks) and I came across my first problem. When I try to restart the pc with arcade monitor connected i can not get a proper picture (only appear interference). Which brings me to having to restart the PC with a PC monitor (in this case a pc crt), and then remove the plug of that monitor and connect the arcade monitor plug. Someone I can help me trying to overcome this obstacle?

One more question, my arcade monitor is the one on the link below, and in the VMMAKER.INI i set it up as "CUSTOM".
Looking at the characteristics of my arcade monitor someone can tell me what kind of monitor is (15/24/31Hz and GENERIC, EGA or CUSTOM)?
http://www.andysarcade.de/data/coinop/v ... series.pdf

Thanks for listening
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

If you look at the bottom of page 4 in your pdf, you have:
Horizontal Scan Frequency: 15.625KHz +/- 500Hz

which is standard arcade monitor, CGA or 15k - just different names for the same thing, so you should use '15'

hm, reading further on the next page it states vertical sync frequency of 50hz, which is not standard at all.. Either it is a typo, or you have a very odd monitor that is not really suitable for arcade use..
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
zapata77
Please Continue...

Post by zapata77 »

Strange, because this monitors were installed in many commercial arcade cabinets around Portugal/Spain/Italy ----- in my case it was a jamma cabinet....
DrChaos
Please Continue...

Post by DrChaos »

Isn't 50Hz Refresh Rate pretty much standard PAL ?
Dache

Post by Dache »

I'm just about to set up my old gaming PC that has an ATI 4890 to use with my Naomi Uni, with a Sanwa 29E31S monitor, with Windows 7, so I'll give the new instructions a try.

I've been using an old Asus nettop thing with Nvidia Ion up to this point, so I never bothered with the GroovyMAME stuff since it seemed geared for ATI.

So I think I know what I'm doing based on the instructions linked in the OP, but want to clear some things up, because I'm dead scared of **** my monitor by accidentally forcing an incompatible resolution through it.

1) The instructions seem written for 15k monitors, but as mine is 31k only, I reckon I can see where I need to change the -MonitorType settings for VMM to "VGA" to ensure it'll work. Is this all I need to ensure the display is always at 640x480 at 60Hz/32-bit (or something else that my 29E31S won't balk at)?

2) Another thing I'm unsure about is the prospect of all these different resolutions for my games and how they're meant to use the correct ones. Doesn't changing the display resolution of the monitor during usage lead to damage? Or does this only apply across 15k <-> 31k switches and similar while the monitor is running? Am I understanding something wrong here?

Cheers for any replies in advance, hoping I get this sorted very soon so I can widen the lovely selection of games I have...
Dache

Post by Dache »

Anyone? :cry: Actually having problems getting GroovyMAME to output a valid XML file at the minute... it keeps spitting out a blank file instead, not sure why. Once I fix that though, it's on to the other stuff I was asking about...
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

1) VGA in VMMAKER.INI, arcade_31 in MAME.INI. If using Windows 7 you'll need to force base video (use msconfig) or it'll try and use a fancy splash screen... IIRC. Also get your video cards BIOS patched using ATOM-15

2) I've heard anecdotes of sync switching (15/31k) damaging chassis but never resolution switching. Many games will do the latter themselves, but AFAIK no games do the former. Run 31k, apply software scanlines, marvel at how good it looks.

As for the XML, shrug. Make sure you're using the latest of everything.
Dache

Post by Dache »

My romset is for MAME .157 and getting latest would be a faff - but I booted up my old MAME mini PC last night and copied the XML files off of that instead. It's the same version of MAME so I think it'll work, so long as regular MAME and GroovyMAME don't have differences in their exported and expected XMLs.

Forgot about the monitor setting in MAME.ini so cheers for that and the ATOM-15 patch, I definitely need that too. It sounds like it'll all work quite well! I've been running in VGA with software scanlines up until now but regular MAME's resolution handling isn't the best so CPS-2 games weren't quite displaying correctly... hoping that GroovyMAME will sort that out.

Just need to get away from MGSV long enough to spend time on this, now ;)