Initials: CLS

Re: GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Post by cools »

Use ArcadeOSD to select the mode?
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

cools wrote:Use ArcadeOSD to select the mode?
Yes I know, just wondered if anyone had a tried and tested res they like, that adhere's to the previous request of all the window toolbar options visible ;)
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian

Post by cools »

If its Win 7 you have to use an interlaced mode to get access to all the buttons and stuff, especially the Ctrl alt del menu. You should be able to get 720x480 going without issue?
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

How about wrapping some or all of this goodness into packages, https://chocolatey.org/ ?
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

cools wrote:If its Win 7 you have to use an interlaced mode to get access to all the buttons and stuff, especially the Ctrl alt del menu. You should be able to get 720x480 going without issue?
Yeah thanks mate, ended up with 640x480i after I changed one of the unsupported resolutions :awe: :lol:
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

invzim wrote:How about wrapping some or all of this goodness into packages, https://chocolatey.org/ ?
The only time I ever create packages is when it saves me time to do them. I'll happily script up stuff to automate processes at work on hundreds/thousdands of machines, but for home use? Nah, notes are where it's at.

Feel free to use any of my preferential settings in a package though if you want to make one :)
ifog

Post by ifog »

Just finished a GroovyMAME PC.
A quick video (sorry for the low quality):

I usually use Mame for various reasons (savestates, autofire, PCBs repair, etc) but not to replace directly the games PCBs.
It was a bit weird to build a gaming machine around a 5€ GPU card but it works perfectly :)
And I still can use the RGB RECO adapter :)
Dexa

Post by Dexa »

ifog wrote:Just finished a GroovyMAME PC.
A quick video (sorry for the low quality):

I usually use Mame for various reasons (savestates, autofire, PCBs repair, etc) but not to replace directly the games PCBs.
It was a bit weird to build a gaming machine around a 5€ GPU card but it works perfectly :)
And I still can use the RGB RECO adapter :)
can you post your layout / overlay gui you are using? i like the separation by developer / publisher
ifog

Post by ifog »

Dexa wrote: can you post your layout / overlay gui you are using? i like the separation by developer / publisher
Sure.
In this case, I'm using CrossBox (Vertical Public Edition).
(using HyperSpin).

(I will be probably remove it as I will switch this cab back to hori, but CrossBox (Public Edition) is a good start for a Tate setup when you are looking for not too much bling bling :) )
HAN
Please Continue...
eBay: sega-boy123
Initials: HAN

Post by HAN »

I see that people are using Win7 now with GroovyMAME...I am wondering how much harder it is to set up than an XP installation. I had tried before to run groovymame in an old XP machine, but never could get it running it properly.

I still have my old display adaptor in the old XP machine, its a ATI Radeon HD 4670...I'm assuming I can re-use this in Win7? I have a 64-bit Win7 machine I recently retired as my main PC, so I'd like to use this in a Sega Blast City cabinet to run groovymame. The monitor in the cabinet is a tri-mode (not auto-sync model), what would be the best way to set it up? Any hints/tips/advice to help me get running smoothly?

Thanks in advance!
Check out my YouTube channel for arcade and console 1cc's and random arcade happenings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Tftw ... 6BsgvFBWoQ
orio1
eBay: e.bay
Initials: OEO

Post by orio1 »

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

HAN wrote:I see that people are using Win7 now with GroovyMAME...I am wondering how much harder it is to set up than an XP installation. I had tried before to run groovymame in an old XP machine, but never could get it running it properly.

I still have my old display adaptor in the old XP machine, its a ATI Radeon HD 4670...I'm assuming I can re-use this in Win7? I have a 64-bit Win7 machine I recently retired as my main PC, so I'd like to use this in a Sega Blast City cabinet to run groovymame. The monitor in the cabinet is a tri-mode (not auto-sync model), what would be the best way to set it up? Any hints/tips/advice to help me get running smoothly?

Thanks in advance!
See the instructions Orio1 has linked to above, it's straightforward.

I would set yours up as a 31K arcade monitor only using fake scanlines, OR as a 15K only monitor, with the GPU BIOS patched for either by ATOM-15 appropriately.
orio1
eBay: e.bay
Initials: OEO

Post by orio1 »

Is atom-15 "safe" ?
About to give it a whirl , I'm just a little hesitant with the word "brick" in the back of my mind ..
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

No reason it shouldn't be safe if you take a backup. Use it on a machine that has onboard video so you can reflash if necessary.
Dhampird

Post by Dhampird »

Hello, i just installed CRT_Emudriver 2.0 in HD4890, windows7x64, i followed the guide http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v ... php?id=298
I get 15khz in DVI out and VGA out, i mean that after do the guide steps if i conect a pc monitor into DVI out only i can see the boot and windows logo meanwhile the pc is boot, when desktop is displayed, the monitor pc goes off, then, how could i do to get DVI runs in 31khz (for pc monitors) and VGA still works in 15khz (for arcade monitor), now i have the desktop pc like the guide said: "display desktop only in 2"

I will have to use Crt tools? Arcade OSD? to change DVI to display in 31khz again and keep 15khz for VGA out on the card? Can i do this modify also desktop screen properties?

I read this: "You just need to setup each screen as a separate desktop from XP's display properties dialog, then assign the right video mode for each of them: a 15 kHz mode for the arcade monitor (e.g. 640x480@60i), and a whatever kHz mode for the LCD (e.g. 1920x1080@60)" that´s for XP, but how can do the same in Win7 if i have "display desktop only in 2" configured like guide said, i could try by myself but i´m fear try it and lost the configuration that works now "display desktop only in 2"
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

Post by FcoBenitez »

Does someone here had tried using an ATI HD 2600 low profile VGA with CRT Emudriver and Groovymame? A pair of these just went for sale for a good price and I have 2 cabs, so that would be perfect, but according to the CRT Emudriver page, this card "doesn't support low pixel clocks. For these cards, you will need to use the DotClockMin = 8.0 option in vmmaker.ini in order to scale low resolutions horizontally." So if I get this correctly, its just a matter of adding that option to the INI and it will work just as fine as the cards that does support low píxel clocks?

The other thing that worries me is that it has DVI output, and while they knclude a connector which splites from the DVI to 2 VGA outputs, I dont know it I can simply plug the VGA-CGA cable to one of the ends of that splitter and plug it to the monitor.

Thanks for any help!
2X Sega Aero City
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

2600 are XP only I believe. The dotclock thing is essential. Current versions of the software set it automatically but the older ones for this card don't.
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...

Post by FcoBenitez »

Thanks cools,
I was planning to use XP anyways, so thats good. If I use the latest version of the software, I should have no problem then?
What about the DVI out of the card?
Here's the link to the auction, in case it helps:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-433 ... l-bajo-_JM

Thanks again for your help, I'm so eager to finally end this build and start playing!
2X Sega Aero City
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I'd assume it would be fine, no guarantees though.
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...

Post by FcoBenitez »

Thanks again cools, did a little more research and decided against buying those cards. Now I found a pair of old AGP Radeon 9250 which should work fine with Catalyst 6.5, will it have enough power to play CPS2 games as the most demanding games?
2X Sega Aero City