Compiling AdvanceMAME with added sourcechanges?

Everything Emulator related
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Compiling AdvanceMAME with added sourcechanges?

Post by emphatic »

I got an idea to incorporate the ShmupMAME backported changes into AdvanceMAME and compile a DOS version (or a Linux liveCD) for optimal cabinet use. The downside is: I have no idea how you take source changes from one source and add them to the other. As the latest ShmupMAME use MAME 0.99 as the source base, it should be compatible with AdvanceMAME 0.99 or even higher versions, right? Anyone here done something like this and know if it's at all possible?

ShmupMAME 3.0 (including source): http://shmupmame.wordpress.com/download/"
AdvanceMAME: http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/readme.html"

Or maybe adding the specific VIDEO part of AdvanceMAME's source to ShmupMAME would be easier? The whole reason that development halted on the AdvanceMAME project is that MAME changed the video methods in 0.107xxx. But since all the hard work (backporting drivers to 0.99) has been done by Nimitz already, my (very inexperienced guess) is that it should be possible.

Another plus on all of this is that ShmupMAME uses the 0.140 roms, so no more clrmamepro mess to get working roms with AdvanceMAME. :awe:
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Re: Compiling AdvanceMAME with added sourcechanges?

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Sounds perfectly possible, but would depend on the amount of hackage (if any) has been done during the back ports.

The ideal solution would be to ask the guy who did the back porting but it might also be worth posting on the Compiling Board over at MAMEWorld.

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

alienmame wrote:The ideal solution would be to ask the guy who did the back porting but it might also be worth posting on the Compiling Board over at MAMEWorld.
Thanks for the link, I'll try there. I did hint to the author of ShmupMAME that having an AdvanceMAME built on his work would be cool, but he's been ignoring me.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I have a compiled version of AdvanceMAME 0.99 for DOS now that can run Ketsui. :shock: I have only tested it real quick in VirtualBox running DOS 7.1, but the game boots, and when I enter the service menu, the controls work just fine. I'm gonna send it out to a couple of friends (that have gameboxes that run AdvanceMAME 0.106) so they can see if the games run well with full sound etc.

Hopefully, I can release this to whoever wants it soon.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Jesus H Christ!

Well done matey. I was really sceptical about whether it was possible.

Cheers,

Ralph.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

alienmame wrote:Jesus H Christ!
I was kinda doubtful myself. Firing MAME up in DOS with the first working compile was.. nervous. The screen went black for about 20 seconds, then the region warning in Ketsui came up. :awe: I've tried ESPGALUDA now as well, works fine. I just wish now that I hadn't sold my Red box. :palm:

Apparently, the PGM games is easier on the specs to run than NEO-GEO, so performance should be good.
Mikeosoft
Please Continue...

Post by Mikeosoft »

hey im trying to source a good mame and mame.ini for my arcade cab. would you suggest the verison you compiled, or should i stick to working on a cabmame.

I just want something good for playing 15hz early to mid 90s games like cps2, neo geo, pgm etc
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame

Post by AeroCityMayor »

HI Mike,

It really depends on the hardware you're running.

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Mikeosoft wrote:hey im trying to source a good mame and mame.ini for my arcade cab. would you suggest the verison you compiled, or should i stick to working on a cabmame.

I just want something good for playing 15hz early to mid 90s games like cps2, neo geo, pgm etc
Unless you're going to play other emus that require you to run a specific O/S (Windows), I'd go with: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=107620.0"

It's a Linux installation that can recreate all arcade resolutions perfectly (apparently, I haven't tried it yet) and also work as a LiveCD (it creates a savedata folder on your HDD so your can put roms etc there).
purplec

Post by purplec »

So does this work on a game box 400 in 1
Mikeosoft
Please Continue...

Post by Mikeosoft »

empatic funny you recommended that i burnt a copy bout 2 weeks ago but installed tinyxp instead and never touched it. i'll give it a try in a live environment and report back.

As far as my specs go, i just pieced together a **** rig from some old dell pcs my cousins, aunts, and uncles had bought from 2003/4/5 and i gutted and replaced for them. I took the best parts and improvised when necessary (like zipties to keep the heatsink attached to the cpu mobo specs are as follows:

Code: Select all

Dell Mobo (****, doesn't even have temp sensors)
P4 530 @ 3.0ghz
8 gb acient harddrive
Custom made ultraslim Windows XP sp3 slipstreamed coming in at under 200 megabytes
Jpac
Soft15Khz app
Quickres
here's a video i made showing what i was working on with hyperspin till i came here and got fedup messing with my switchrez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHRMGHCzj4"