Scud Race Error FF 03

PCB problems and fixes
dingsbums
The bead-o empire

Scud Race Error FF 03

Post by dingsbums »

Since I finally have my Scud Race PCB up & running :

I wanted to have all the information at one place :) . Since there is nearly no information about getting a console steering wheel to a Model 3 / Scud Race PCB anybody who knows how to do this - please post here.

I have seen on Yahoo Auctions years ago that someone made it with an offical Dreamcast steering wheel - so it's possible it seems. I saved the pictures from that auction:

Sadly you can't recreate it (from looking at the pictures) since you don't know where the signals from the PCB go to the steering wheel :cry: . But at least you know where the signals are connected on the Model 3 PCB and the signals are coming from 4 different connectors.

Since I don't know (and can't find) any Model 3 Racer PCB pinout (Scud Race would be prefered :awe: ) does anybody know the analouge / Racer PCB / Scud Race Model 3 Pinout ?

And from the above auction pictures - since the DC steering wheel doesn't have a Shifter are there other steering wheels that would work with this. I would try it with a Madcatz MC2 - does it have a 2-way or a 4-way shifter ?

If you know anything about the Model 3 Racers please post :) .

Pinout:
Last edited by dingsbums on December 16th, 2015, 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrHalibut
eBay: Mr_Meh

Re: Steering wheel to Model 3 PCB

Post by MrHalibut »

I don't know about racers, but have done some faffing about to get an analog stick working for Star Wars Trilogy.
This should help: http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/sega/SEGA ... inout.html"

Basically CN1 and CN11 are for analog signals, CN2 is for regular buttons etc.
I notice that page lists both CN1 and CN11 as 18-pin, CN11 is actually a 16 pin connector so hopefully there aren't any other more serious errors or typos in there.
dingsbums
The bead-o empire

Post by dingsbums »

Awesome :thumbup: Thank you.
I edited a screenshot of the pinout in the first post. I guess it's time now to look for a steering wheel 8-) .
Lunatico
Please Continue...
eBay: elpepino24

Post by Lunatico »

I have a scud race pcb that I would totally love to play with, but no cab to run it :cry: .

maybe Shou knows about the wiring :penser: .
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

Is this not just a matter of wiring in 5K pots to steering, brake and gas pedal? Or is additional stuff required?

Looking at that pic, it would seem that there is just some 5K pot in the wheel (+5/steer/GND, 3 wires) , and a bunch of buttons (1/2/3/4+GND) connected. How hard could that be?

Offcourse you will get feedback i/o errors and such, but i guess those are not connected to this wheel.

Edit: According to Andy, the DC wheel is very easy to use for this. Just no FF.
Andygeezer wrote: Dreamcast DC wheel uses 5kpots, so ideal for arcade stuff, I've got one on my test bed for JVS racers.
So, it breaks down like this:

- The wheel does not come with separate pedals.
- The brake & gas pedal are 'flippers' on the back left/right sides of the wheel (most likely 5K pots too.)
- The steering wheel is 5K as well.
- There's no force feedback with this hack.
- You choose automatic transmission, there is no shifting. You could hook up/hack up a shifter at some point.

If you have one of those wheels, it would be nice to see some pics of the insides, if they have pots or hall effect stuff, and so on. :)
codecrank
Please Continue...

Post by codecrank »

Thans for sharing ! nice work 8-)
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

I've wired all of this up to the Mad Catz wheel and mapped out all Model 1/2/3, Naomi/Chihiro/Triforce/Lindbergh/Ring, Namco System 22/23/Super 23 driving games (among many others). The Mad Catz wheel has a 2 gear in place shifter that is similar to what is used in Initial D.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

I wonder why nobody in the arcade tech scene has yet come up with an easy plug'n play solution for people who wants to use a PC/PS1/PS2/etc steering wheel with driving games PCB's. something similar to undamned's USB arcade sticks to CPS2, how hard could be to make something like that?

I have lost count of the times people offered driving game pcbs for free and I ended up saying no, because I have no means to play them.
dingsbums
The bead-o empire

Re: Scud Race Error 03

Post by dingsbums »

So I have my Scud Race Cab up & running :) but I have no Force Feedback :cry: .
On starting up the cab I get "FF 00" on the drive board LED and no movement at all on the wheel. When I start a game, as soon as I steer all the way to the left / right the drive board LED shows a "FF 03" error :cry: .
The weird thing is: In the Scud Race Manual there is no mention of this "FF 03" error :think: .

I already replaced the servo board but that didn't change anything :awe: .

So my questions are:

What is causing this "FF 03" error ? - Could it be one of the following things ? - the drive board (by the way - Pin 4 on the Dip1 bank is "on" which is the "Standard" strenght for the motor according to the manual - the motor power in the test menu is also set to 50% - is that right ?), the steering pot or the motor itself ?

And even more important :awe: - How do you get rid of this "FF 03" error ?

Please Andy Geezer, Ordyne & thechop - help me 8-) .
Asure

Re: Scud Race Error FF 03

Post by Asure »

Most common thing that happens, is the pots on the steering wheel setup go bad.
Most of these have two pots. One for the wheel position, one for the force feedback.

Does the wheel position show properly in the test mode?

If the wheel doesn't turn on boot, my guess is the game does not know the position it is in (properly) and avoids turning it by FF power at boot up, to stop any damage occuring to motors/wheel.

You _could_ swap the pot connectors around and see what it does then :). But still, most likely a bad (5K) pot (or two)?
dingsbums
The bead-o empire

Post by dingsbums »

Thanks for your reply :thumbup: .

Wheel position values:

When centered (80H - you can't see it that great on these pictures => it's the third value from the bottom)

When turned all the way to the left (25H)

When turned all the way to the right (E0H)

I would say the values are perfect (steering does function perfectly in the game).

Other measurements:
The three wire connector that goes to the steering pot has 5.16v on the outer pins, the middle pin is "continuity checked" to pin 6 on the CN11 connector - continuity is given :awe: .
The connector that goes to the steering pot has 5k ohm on the outer pins / measeured from one outer pin to the middle pin: when the wheel is turned all the way in one direction - nearly 0 ohm; when the wheel is centered - 2,54k ohm; when the wheel is turned all the way in the other direction - 4,67k ohm.

The measurements look all good to me :awe: right :think: ?

Where is the second pot for the force feedback ? Inside the motor assembly ? What does the encoder board inside the motor ? Could that be the cause ?

PS: I don't have two identical (pot) connectors to swap them around - there is just one :think: .
Asure

Post by Asure »

Does any of the numbers change on the force feedback board?
It should show a increase/decrease when you turn the wheel.

Manual is here: https://segaretro.org/images/9/9a/ScudR ... l_Twin.pdf

Page 43 has the 'steering volume' = 5K pot.

I must be mistaken the drive/servo pot setup with another model sega driver (I know le mans 24 has this).
You could be having a bad ff board, but it might also be a bad connection somewhere :(