Extra Button Loom/Astro City Cab

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Madgear
eBay: PM
Initials: ACE

Extra Button Loom/Astro City Cab

Post by Madgear »

Usual beginner question!

I remember asking some time ago how to get the bottom row of buttons working for non-Capcom boards that use a kick harness. I was directed to getting an extra button loom, and I did! Awesome.

Now, When I hook up the loom, boards like my NeoGeo or PGM board still arent reading the bottom row buttons. Is there something I need to do the JAMMA harness itself?

I've linked to a pic of the wiring. At the moment a CPS2 game is in, so the loom isnt connected to the bottom row anyway--Ive attached it mainly to confirm that the harness is plugged into the correct port.

http://imgur.com/chXEu94
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Re: Extra Button Loom/Astro City Cab

Post by Flinnster »

PGM & Neo Geo use a fourth button only, which is wired up to the pin below player button 3 on each side (c + 25), so different from a kick harness that's usually wired directly to the board rather than the jamma edge connector. Not sure if it's possible for Neo + PGM to support buttons 5+6.. probably not.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JAMMA
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The 4th and 5th button from the jamma edge are wired to the standard player 1 & 2 connecters, not the extra kick harness one.
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

That extra button harness needs connecting on the other end to a kick harness for the game you want to play.
Madgear

Post by Madgear »

Thanks everyone. So this means I need additional wiring to the JAMMA harness to then place the extra button loom into?
phillv85
Please Continue...

Post by phillv85 »

No the kick harness is separate to the JAMMA harness.

Think of it as a second harness, it directly connects the extra buttons to the board you're playing.

On an Astro City you can have buttons 1-5 connected via the 12 pin connector (although I've never seen an original Sega 12 pin connector with all 5 buttons wired, I just made my own). However most games that use a kick harness will ignore buttons 4 and 5 connected on the JAMMA harness and want buttons 4 to 6 connected wired directly to the board. This is where the 10 pin extra button loom comes in. On an Astro for neatness they set it up to use 3 different parts. So you have the 10 pin extra button connector wired to your buttons, that's part 1. The second part is what that connector is connected to, that's just a neat way of sending the wiring into the cabinet and down near the board. It will have another 10 pin connector dangling down near the JAMMA harness inside the cabinet. The 3rd part with be your kick harness which will have another 10 pin connector on one end, and the connector for the board on the other (I.e on a CPS2 board it will have a 34 pin hirose connector).

If it's easier to show with pictures let me know and I'll take some photos of mine :)
Madgear

Post by Madgear »

Ah, phillv85. I think I've misspoken.

What you said makes perfect sense. This is also exactly how my cabinet is wired for CPS2,3, Naomi, and various boards.

However, when it comes to my NEOGEO, and PGM boards, the kick harness, doesn't work of course. Makes sense. So, I purchased an extra button loom for connect for those sets of boards. If you don't mind, could you show how you'd hook up a NEO GEO board, since it doesn't have a space for a kick harness? If its not too much trouble, that would help!

Thanks for all of the responses.
ebinsugewa
Please Continue...
eBay: ebinsugewa
Initials: BRE

Post by ebinsugewa »

There are separate wires not on the extra button loom to buttons 4/5 that you need to use for Neo and Atomiswave. They are already present but likely just floating around unconnected in your control panel. The standard 1P and 2P harnesses are wired in order to handle buttons 4/5. Disconnect whatever you have on your button 4 currently, as you'll have to replace it with the one from the 1P/2P harness. These are usually solid colored wires as opposed to the white ones often seen on the extra button loom.

One thing that will help is to put the Neo into test mode and head to the input test so that you can check your work. You'll find it eventually as long as your ground is properly daisy-chained from the working buttons 1/2/3.
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

Not all astro's have these wires 'floating'.

My 2p12 panel does not have shot4/5 connected. I made my own loom with hookers & blackjack and wired up those buttons to have two wires each.
One wire goes to the main connector under the cp area (top left) and then off to the jamma edge.
The other wire goes to the extra button connector, and this goes to the female plug at the bottom.

Then i have a plethora of male -> cps1/cps2/midway/etc plugs that go into the female plug at the bottom of the cab.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Asure wrote:Not all astro's have these wires 'floating'.
This is pretty easy to check. If they're at the jamma connecter end, they will be at the player connector ends as well.
phillv85
Please Continue...

Post by phillv85 »

I've never seen any original 5 button cables from Sega that run from the 1p/2p loom so I made my own. It's also possible to mod an existing one but it means jumping the grounds. Your connector probably doesn't have the 2 bottom right spaces populated, that's button 4 and 5. Here's a couple of pictures:

Madgear

Post by Madgear »

Thank you everyone! I'll poke around this weekend and report back with success or failure and likely pictures. :D
Madgear

Post by Madgear »

Ha, its been a moment! I finally got some time to try all of this out, and here are my results-in video form since thats probably the best explanation one could give! I DID find a 10 pin connector near the harness, but here are the results.

Any advice?

https://youtu.be/9iAyQtaZXJo
phillv85
Please Continue...

Post by phillv85 »

It's not the 10 pin connector, that just comes from wires inside the cabinet that will have nothing connected unless you have a kick harness in place. For buttons 4 and 5 you'll need to modify your 12 pins connectors or make a new one with 4/5 buttons.
Madgear

Post by Madgear »

I see. That makes sense. I thought the 10-pin connector I had WAS the harness for buttons 4/5. :lol:

Is this something I can purchase? I'm not confident I can make this, lol. Wiring is an area I hadnt really dabbled in too much, with exception of fixing up the monitor chassis lol.

Thanks for your response btw. I appreciate all the help I can get learning my cab maintenance.
phillv85
Please Continue...

Post by phillv85 »

I could make you one, but it'd save you money on postage if someone your side of the pond could do it.
Madgear

Post by Madgear »

Understood! If I dont see many replies--let me know what you think the pricing would be! If its something I can swing, I'd def paypal you for it!Thanks again for your help, man.
Madgear

Post by Madgear »

Anyone in the US able to make this? Just checkin....please pm me or reply here with pricing.

Any help is appreciated!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

You could try contacting LemonyVengeance. He doesn't hang around here too often, but he makes looms for people on other forums.
Madgear

Post by Madgear »

Hey! I've seen some of his stuff on youtube. Thanks for that. I'll tweet him, as it seems thats more checked. Much appreciated!