Super Nintardbros!

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Re: Super Nintenbros!

Post by skykappah »

spmbx wrote:

:awe:

Regarding the dock scratching the Switch.... I have my suspicions confirmed... I'm not docking it until they come up with an aquarium proof version. Though docking it would have been once in blue moon anyways.
Loving robots since the 80's.
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:Well, weighing my options and considering all the features and portability etc I decided I'd rather be seen with a fish in my pocket in public.
Also waggling your fish at the TV does have its moments.
Loving robots since the 80's.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:Well, weighing my options and considering all the features and portability etc I decided I'd rather be seen with a fish in my pocket in public.
:lol:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Teensy bit surprised that it was just bagged up in the box, with no in-transit screen protector. Babied the thing until I got one fitted. The dock is the poor design bit of the package, I'm not sure why people are surprised it's scratching screens when they're rubbing them together.

Really need to check my spare Switch works...

Still awestruck by BOTW. Not sure I've played a better game. Spent about 20 hours in game so far and it still has that "new & shiny" feeling. Everything else I've played would've settled into "reach the end" mode by now.

I found a tiny glowing windmill made of leaves last night. When close to it I can hear some faint accordion music. I spent an hour exploring the area and trying all sorts of different things to see what the windmill was for. Couldn't figure it out so I've marked it on the map to revisit. Did find out about the music, which led me on to another task I spent another half an hour trying to understand, figuring it out and then failing to execute - realising I simply don't have the right gear gathered yet, but knowing I'm not blocked by anything to get what I need to complete it. And it's guaranteed that when I go off to get what's required I will get distracted by something else that I want to achieve on the way.

The whole game is like this. It's one enormous puzzle without a hint of grind. I literally got no in-game reward for my efforts above but I don't feel slighted or that it was a waste of time whatsoever.
Wurstkopp
Mister Dick Statue
eBay: nachmittagsprogramm
Initials: NIK

Post by Wurstkopp »

cools wrote: Still awestruck by BOTW. Not sure I've played a better game. Spent about 20 hours in game so far and it still has that "new & shiny" feeling. Everything else I've played would've settled into "reach the end" mode by now.

(...)

The whole game is like this. It's one enormous puzzle without a hint of grind. I literally got no in-game reward for my efforts above but I don't feel slighted or that it was a waste of time whatsoever.
+1
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I'm not as far in but I'm loving it too. It's got a sense of scale lacking in recent Zelda's and is brimming with great ideas. I'm also amazed at how it leaves you to figure stuff out for yourself. It's clearly been made for the OOT generation and not kids.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Wurstkopp wrote:
cools wrote: Still awestruck by BOTW. Not sure I've played a better game. Spent about 20 hours in game so far and it still has that "new & shiny" feeling. Everything else I've played would've settled into "reach the end" mode by now.

(...)

+1
+1+1+1+1 :awe: i have zero patience for hard slog in games :lol:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Having repaired a number of modern portable devices, this is nice to see: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintend ... down/78263
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

The surround sound in Zelda is wonderful. Also, it's quite novel being able to continue with your game even if you switched off your "console" at the mains.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Take away the nostalgic hardon I have for SMW, which is probably the best 16 bit game of all time, and LTTP.

I think this is the best 'modern' game ever made. It really is a masterpiece. As a full package, I can't think of anything better. On paper, I think a massive (really massive) sandbox Zelda sounds awful, but it's really not
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

My elder son must have played Zelda for about 20 hours by now, I've played it for about 30 minutes. It looks great. :problem:

Switch hardware's really nice. If I hadn't been getting videos of youtubers breaking Switches thrown at me I'd be blissfully unaware of any problem. I have a 4-year-old docking and undocking it for fun ffs.

Still, nice to see the screen cover's fairly easily replaceable. I'll brave it without a protector.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

pubjoe wrote: If I hadn't been getting videos of youtubers breaking Switches thrown at me I'd be blissfully unaware of any problem.
Even with me banging on in your ear about it all the time? :think:
I'll brave it without a protector.
Said everyone with AIDS.

:shifty:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

:lol:

These last few days it's been coming at me from all angles. :whoa:
Switch abuse that is, not AIDS
:think: a bit of AIDS
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

The great thing is the Switch hardware doesn't have any LEDs that can go wrong.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

SuperPang wrote:It's clearly been made for the OOT generation and not kids.
To be honest I don't think it's kids they aim the hand holding at, it's adults. It's ever since someone had the genius idea of including normal people in playtest groups.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

The squeal lets you know it's brokon.

The hardware itself is pretty cool, but the plastic screen and shonky dock are inexcusable design decisions I reckon. If they release a handheld only version with a glass screen then I'll be all over it.
pubjoe wrote::lol:

These last few days it's been coming at me from all angles. :whoa:
Switch abuse that is, not AIDS
:think: a bit of AIDS
Guilty as charged :fastlove:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

It's solely the dock design that's at fault, not the plastic screen. Glass scratches just the same as plastic. Sure it's a more resilient to them, but with a huge downside in that it shatters easily and plastic doesn't.

I far prefer lobbing a cheap, replaceable protector on a plastic screen and having a gadget that can take a tumble and survive versus the alternative expensive, fragile option. Plastic's the sensible choice.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

I despise screen protectors and have never smashed or cracked a phone's glass screen in my life. I've plenty of mates who have though.

I'd personally prefer one with a tough glass screen but understand why that might not be the best option overall, especially for a kid's console :whoopsie:

That dock though :palm:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I despise badly placed apostrophes and have never used one in my life. :awe:

(FWIW the "official" screen protector is all but invisible, only noticeable by the sub-millimetre ridge on the edges. It's the least visible one I've had out of every one I've used)
Moonwalker
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Post by Moonwalker »

I am feeling the same about the new Zelda. I can´t get into open world stuff normally and for almost all new games I have to force myself to play them longer then 2-3 hours, but here it´s different. Might be the best game of 2010´s.