Ms2930 going into protection

For monitor related issues
XeD
Please Continue...
eBay: Blood_pack
Initials: HVD

Ms2930 going into protection

Post by XeD »

I finally found time to work on these chassis. Of course I grab one of the ones that was going into shutdown to do the cap kit on :cry: Since I did the cap kit on it I'm now committed to get it going. This is what I get when I turn it on.
Neck glow, hi voltage whine, and nothing on screen. A few second later I hear a click no whine or neck glow and the screen seem to collapse to a white line/dot then disappear. Where do you measure b+ on the 2930? What should I check next?

Edit:
It turn out the brightness on the flyback was turned down. Once I crank it up I get vertical collapse before it go into shut down. Bad vertical IC?
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Re: Ms2930 going into protection

Post by Asure »

Is the remote board connected, and are the pots on it checking out?
The 2930 can shutdown if it gets out-of-spec signals. For example, an XBOX 360 VGA will cause this sometimes.

I'm guessing the fault might be somewhere in the horizontal stage, maybe the pot(s) on the remote board, maybe the HOT but i am not an expert. Just going on experience.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

if it is a vertical collapse then shutdown then it my be just the vertical ic at fault
XeD
Please Continue...

Post by XeD »

I'll swap the IC out next week when I get some time to work on them again. Once power on I get vertical collapse right away and shut down happen within 5-10 seconds. If this end up being just the IC i'll be happy as all 7 chassis doing the same thing.
XeD
Please Continue...

Post by XeD »

Woot. It turn out the chassis has a lot of cold solder joints and a bad vertical ic (Thanks to a working chassis to warm up the tube for me to find that out). Here hoping the other 8 have the same fault.
hindered

Post by hindered »

XeD wrote:Woot. It turn out the chassis has a lot of cold solder joints and a bad vertical ic (Thanks to a working chassis to warm up the tube for me to find that out). Here hoping the other 8 have the same fault.
Congratulations, I'm glad you were able to get at least one up and running. Hopefully the other 6 follow.