Astro City Speaker Alternative

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
xodaraP
Please Continue...
eBay: xodarap21

Astro City Speaker Alternative

Post by xodaraP »

Hi guys,

I found these on ebay a couple of months ago and replaced my stock Astro speakers with them. These are magnetically shielded, a LOT larger than the stock speakers while still fitting in the space provided in the cab, they don't hit anything, sound better, louder and they fit into the standard screw holes like they were made as an Astro replacement! I've never seen another set of speakers while looking for a replacement set that actually fit in the standard mounts without modifications.

They're not going to give you surround sound or anything, but they're a damn sight better than the standard speakers, especially for the price, and can be completely reversed if for some odd reason you wanted the original Sega speakers in the cab.

The only disadvantage I had was that I had to cut off the original speaker terminals in the cab and replace the connectors with smaller ones. I kept the originals with the original speakers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331740585545 ... EBIDX%3AIT
trev1976

Re: Astro City Speaker Alternative

Post by trev1976 »

Do these also fit in a new astro city ? Or do they have completely different speakers ?

Thanks
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

Open the cab, and measure the screw holes to be sure :)

I might as well get a set or two, Astro default sound is sh!te, no bass, too much high & treble. Naomi & Blast blows it away :(
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

Problem is I don't have the cab yet :(
YouTube
Asure

Post by Asure »

Then you won't mind i nabbed a pair of em just now ;)
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

Na I think there not the same anyway... nab away
YouTube
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Could you make a video to see how they sound?
Asure

Post by Asure »

Installed them, which was a breeze, just squeeze the original connectors a bit so they grip the slightly smaller lugs a bit better. They fit 1:1 with the original mounts.
They are properly shielded, i didn't even have to degauss my MS9 after moving the cab around and replacing the speakers.

I made a 'before and after' video, and listened on my phone. Offcourse the phone speakers sucks. Will upload them later so people can check them out.

Describing the sound: The new speakers have better range, theres more mid-level and bass sounds, which are very absent with the original speakers. Hi tones are almost the same as the original, i couldn't detect any loss in the high range. Keep in mind i'm over 40 and do not hear monitors whining or other high freq stuff as good as i used to. I could hear the RAMs testing a boot in my Pentium 90 when i w as younger.. :)

If you have the luxury of comparing original Astro vs. Naomi or Blast city, the Astro has much less mid and bass tones to it.
Espgaluda 2 boss soundtrack sounds like poopy on Astro. With the new speakers it has the intended bass and oomph that was missing on the original speakers.

For the speakers themselves, they are a good quality build, but i think this stock was stored in a not 100% dry environment as the mount/frame had some local spots of rust on them, as if something dripped. I guess the seller got this lot for a good price, which is why they are not too expensive. I don't think they rusted in transit to me, and at this price point, i am not complaining. It's a perfect fit.