Samsung monitor / Wei Ya Chassis

For monitor related issues
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Samsung monitor / Wei Ya Chassis

Post by grantspain »

next you would need to check the vertical deflection 25v line
check for bad solder joints,in particular on the connectors both ends of the switching board
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

grantspain wrote:next you would need to check the vertical deflection 25v line
check for bad solder joints,in particular on the connectors both ends of the switching board

Indeed, I see several bad solder joints. One that stands out seems to be the first pin on the Flyback, it's so bad that the pin actually moves around. This may very well be the issue I hope!

One other question before i begin re-flowing these points. I found a diode that is small and orange that has a 48 on it. This diode seems to measuring quite low compared to other similar diodes on the board. The location is a bit hard to read but it is just near the resistor located in R8. I am getting a diode measurement of 0.028. Is this normal, or should I source a diode to replace it?

I appreciate the help, and I definitely owe you a beer!

Thanks
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

lift one end of the diode and read again,it may be across another component
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

After repairing the solder points, I reconnected the board. Still clicking with no visual. I will pull the board in the morning and proceed with testing the vertical IC and diode. Is there any specific way to test the vertical IC as it ha more than three pins? I am going to order an ESR tester tomorrow for the caps. This is a painfully terrible headache.
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

I had a broken vertical IC on my Wei-Ya 3129A but it wasn't clicking, just showing a line down the middle. If you still want to check it out I'd just replace as it costs next to nothing anyway.
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

Sp33dFr34k wrote:I had a broken vertical IC on my Wei-Ya 3129A but it wasn't clicking, just showing a line down the middle. If you still want to check it out I'd just replace as it costs next to nothing anyway.
Much appreciated. I will definitely have to swap it out then. Any idea of where to order it? I checked Mouser and amazon to no avail.

Couple of questions. I have included a couple pics to help describe what I am asking.

1. What could this tiny plastic piece go to? There was a slightly larger one, but I can't seem to find it now.

2. On the tube I noticed two connectors with possible wires missing. Is this of any importance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

ignore the yoke pins

would be good to see that other bit of plastic,could be nothing but there again could be part of an ic
Londoncalling
Please Continue...

Post by Londoncalling »

Those 2 connectors are of no importance. That plastic bit seems to just be a random piece of plastic.
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

I desoldered it, checked the type on the vertical IC itself and ordered one on eBay :)
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

Sp33dFr34k wrote:I desoldered it, checked the type on the vertical IC itself and ordered one on eBay :)
you will need to check the vcc 26v as well,sometimes those vertical fail and short out the 26v line,it will take out a safety resistor if that happens
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

grantspain wrote:
Sp33dFr34k wrote:I desoldered it, checked the type on the vertical IC itself and ordered one on eBay :)
you will need to check the vcc 26v as well,sometimes those vertical fail and short out the 26v line,it will take out a safety resistor if that happens
Where about is it located? Near the vertical ic chip? i havent really checked resistors yet. I had checked just about every transistor imaginable. I am about to order some caps for the hell of it. But honestly, i cant seem to find any bad components. i think i find a short, desolder It, an then it tests fine. Frustrating.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

r50 1ohm 1watt,you can test the voltage there,not worth changing if the 26v is present on the output of the resistor
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

grantspain wrote:r50 1ohm 1watt,you can test the voltage there,not worth changing if the 26v is present on the output of the resistor
Ok, so the monitor need to be plugged in and on I am assuming? Thanks.

I have been removing the old dry glue as it can supposedly create a short when dried. Thanks.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

djsniperwolf wrote:
grantspain wrote:r50 1ohm 1watt,you can test the voltage there,not worth changing if the 26v is present on the output of the resistor
Ok, so the monitor need to be plugged in and on I am assuming? Thanks.

I have been removing the old dry glue as it can supposedly create a short when dried. Thanks.
yes you would need to check with power on

the glue around the custom ic's and switch board header in particular need to be cleaned away
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

I am currently in the process of ordering the caps. As I was removing much of the glue, I noticed a couple resistors look pretty bad and need replacing. Unfortunately I cannot see the the banding.

Do you know the required resistors for

R120
R32

Once I get these caps in, I will proceed with a powered test of the previously mentioned components.

I had contacted Alva Amusements last week, but I have not received a response regarding a replacement chassis.

EDIT:
I am selecting the caps from Digikey, which is where I order most of my circuitry components. I noticed a difference in ripple current and impedance, do these numbers matter? Thanks again.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

r32 33k 1/4w
r120 6r8 1/4w

caps values,as long as the farads are correct and the voltage equal or more than should make no real difference

these are frustrating chassis,there are forum members on byoac who claim to have 100% repair rate on these chassis,mine is about 70%-i think they are talking **** as they never supply any solid info

the pic ic can also cause issues,diodes in secondardy section,caps,hv caps---the list goes on with these chassis
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

grantspain wrote:r32 33k 1/4w
r120 6r8 1/4w

caps values,as long as the farads are correct and the voltage equal or more than should make no real difference

these are frustrating chassis,there are forum members on byoac who claim to have 100% repair rate on these chassis,mine is about 70%-i think they are talking **** as they never supply any solid info

the pic ic can also cause issues,diodes in secondardy section,caps,hv caps---the list goes on with these chassis
I am truly beginning to see the difficulties with this board... I will attempt some replacements the caps. But if that doesn't prove to be fruitful, would the C3129DS chassis work? I found one for sale and figure I could cut my losses instead of attempting multiple repairs until I botch this chassis. Too many components to weed through, and I do not see any heat marks or damage to the board..

If you have a bitcoin address, i'd like to send you some coin for that beer I promised :)

Thanks again Grant, you have been super helpful.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

all you need from the seller of the chassis are the yoke details and socket type-yoke details are on sticker on the chassis and crt socket is obvious if its dual focus as it has two focus pins
in general a m3129 chassis will be 0.300mh lh,a suffix "d" will mean dynaflat

the photo i found online suggests this is a single focus chassis that runs on a 0.300mh deflection yoke
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

grantspain wrote:all you need from the seller of the chassis are the yoke details and socket type-yoke details are on sticker on the chassis and crt socket is obvious if its dual focus as it has two focus pins
in general a m3129 chassis will be 0.300mh lh,a suffix "d" will mean dynaflat

the photo i found online suggests this is a single focus chassis that runs on a 0.300mh deflection yoke
Ok, so I have decided to officially give up on repairing this chassis. I had never had so many issues with any other monitor chassis in my life. I miss the reliability of the old K7000's. Anyways, Alva amusements has finally gotten back to me regarding an available 3129D chassis. So... Below I included a link to the other chassis that is available. As my experience is lack luster, what would you personally recommend? I am ultimately trying to avoid these same issues in the future.

https://www.arcade-game-sales.com/arcad ... 869-1.html

Thanks again Grant. Your expertise in the matter has really guided me through this treacherous path.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

if your tube is dual or single focus?