Kraut Buster

Coin-operated games and arcades.
wombat
Initials: WBT

Re: A new Neo Geo game just announced...

Post by wombat »

WOW, this game is really shaping up good. It's good that they take the extra time, instead of rushing the game out to meet their initial release date(s). I really want this game, but that pricetag though.... :awe:
k1ngarth3r
eBay: t-0-m-t-0-m
Initials: Tom

Post by k1ngarth3r »

I order last year when the trailers didn't look that good... But knew I'd regret not pre-ordering it like I did with the other releases.

After seeing the trailer I'm so pleased I secured a copy (Even thought the pre-orders are now open again!).
eggsanwich
Please Continue...
Initials: egg

Post by eggsanwich »

It's actually shaping up into a pretty good looking game, and hopefully has enough features (masks, etc.) to make it at least slightly unique from Metal Slug. It's still a hefty price tag though, not sure I'm quite sold yet...
pulstar

Post by pulstar »

It has come on leaps and bounds from the beginning reveal trailer. Looks pretty decent now.
munchiAZ
Please Continue...
Initials: AJS

Post by munchiAZ »

looks pretty good. That price tag doe :cry:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I love these guys.
Kraut Buster Mission Status Report 2016

Dear customers,

with the year ending here is the current state of Kraut Buster for NEOGEO.

Compared to our original vision the game got pretty huge, basically twice as many mission parts, twice as many bosses etc. as originally planned.
Without any additional financial costs to you, but at cost of waiting time.
At current projections the game will break even but will not generate any profits in the first year, but that was expected from the beginning, it was always a dream project for us.

Work on the final mission already started. We have the basic map done, currently it's getting finalized pixel art.

The game is kinda "two games in one" both in content and game modes. It comes with two quite different feeling game modes.

"Slug"* mode:

Tactically and slower game mode, similar to the classic MS series. Lots of stops with fighting bigger enemies and a more tactical approach.
Due to the size of the game, we plan to offer a mission select (A or B) in this mode to keep the playtime around 30 minutes.

"Contra"* mode:

Fast and action oriented. Only stop at mini bosses and bosses and run and crush through enemy hordes. Probably no mission select here as the increased speed/flow gets the playtime under 30 minutes.

Enemy balancing and enemy placement may differ slightly to reflect the slightly different mechanics.
Weapons/Powerups/Secrets/Masks will be handled differently in this mode too.

* (Both game mode names are just placeholders)

We will show the "Contra" mode in a later video in 2017.

Some current statistic numbers (subject to change):

9+ bosses
6+ mini bosses
19 mission parts
207 screens.
Nearly all are individually hand drawn pixel screens (not tile based, think more fighting game backgrounds).
That's like 86 KoF backgrounds (of course with less animation in KB). All combined, give a huge picture of 66240x240 pixels.

New screen shots from Mission 4-4 are available on the game site/the shop site and Facebook.

As you can see in the screen shots, we also reworked the HUD:
We removed the big bubble head from the HUD as it looked too "western"/unfitting for NEOGEO to us. It also would have taken too much of the very small SFIX ROM space with the other characters.

------------------

Release date:

In the last newsletter from 16th June 2016 we stated:
"Currently Kraut Buster has no release date, but a release in the late 1st/early 2nd quarter of 2017 seems realistic."

Our new estimate is to start beta testing in June and start to ship in September. We originally had planned to have 3 pixel artist full time on this project, but in the end only two were available over the full course. That lead to an unexpected delay.

We know that we started pre order too early for it, but without the pre orders we wouldn't have been able to made a big game like this.
The next few games will be smaller projects again, with similar work sizes like NEO XYX (pixelart) and Razion (CGI).
We will probably do a huge project in the size of Kraut Buster in the future again, but not for a few years and in a different genre.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

Removed the heads from the hud because they looked to western for neogeo?......you mean too western for a japanese-like game (chibi art style)?? FYI characters with beard also looks too western in Japan, that's why japanese main characters rarely have beard, Mario moustache and Solid Snake being an exception, but then again Mario started its "career" without a moustache, and Kojima has been a "Wanny-wood" his whole life ( i.e: a frustrated hoolywood director) sideburns otoh are not as badly seen in Japan= not seen as a sign of a dirty scruffy person.

just my 2 cents 8-) .
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Hot Ryu disagrees.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

SuperPang wrote:Hot Ryu disagrees.
More like "pirate from the mountains" Ryu.
Missile5
Please Continue...
eBay: buzz939

Post by Missile5 »

I did eventually order this when they announced there would be a 2nd pressing. I actually think it looked pretty good in the most recent video. It has some lovely animation, and they've tightened up the jump and the controls since the first video. My main problem all along however was that they were making another Metal Slug on a system that already has 6 of them. Why not go for a Contra or Gunstar Heroes vibe instead?

You can't really go wrong buying a NGDevteam game though. If you don't like it - you can sell it for twice as much in 6 months. I was following a Fast Striker (AES) on auction recently and it sold for just over £2000! They are basically paying you too play. Tbh though I have never sold a NGDevteam game - just regretted not buying them before prices went strato-spheric!

For me NGDevteam are the best technical coders on Neo Geo, they just need to get more imaginative.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Missile5 wrote: My main problem all along however was that they were making another Metal Slug on a system that already has 6 of them.
4. There will only ever be 4.
system11

Post by system11 »

Series stopped at 2.

**** X.
Random blog of stuff:
http://blog.system11.org
Moonwalker
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Post by Moonwalker »

X is superior to 2 in my opinion. 3 is also great even with the long last level. I will never forget when I got the cart on release from a friend who was in Japan and played it the first time - the game was and is mind blowing. As a 1cc game it may be mediocore, but as a final SNK Metal Slug they gave it all they got.

Even 4 and 5 are much better then their reputation, just worse the the SNK ones. Especially 5 is a fine run ´n gunner.

Totally looking forward to KS! :)
system11

Post by system11 »

Nah, X is a mess with bosses, some graphical touches are removed (look for the animated desert in stage 1 for example), and they crammed way too much filler in. With the turbo hack for 2 there's no reason to go near X anymore.

Not as bad as 3 though.
Random blog of stuff:
http://blog.system11.org
Missile5
Please Continue...
eBay: buzz939

Post by Missile5 »

I'm someone who can deal with a small amount of slowdown but the slowdown in MS2 is more like 'grind to a halt'. Also 2 player game anyone?

The turbo hack basically showed the slowdown was just poor coding. You still get some slowdown even with that. You need to overclock the CPU AND use the turbo hack to get no slowdown at all. Damm you MS2! Why didn't they just code you properly in the first place??

MS3 is a great game, you don't want every MS game the same. For me it's only sin is that the bosses need too many hits and the game can become a bit of a grind as a result.
Doom
Please Continue...
eBay: maccha.ice

Post by Doom »

I think MS X is the best. MS2 is fine in single player but the lag is really irritating to sit through with a friend. Also I like the new weapons, revamped level design and the changes to night levels added a new flavor to the game.

MS3 is arguably the finest in the series and I can understand why it's the favorite of many.

I also like the first game, it's more manageable to play through with few credits and it never gets old. Then again even 4 and 5 are fine games. Honestly of the 6 Neo Geo installments there were no bad entries in my opinion.
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

I consider MS3 as the apex of the series. I played 1 and X the most, as 3 was never in our arcades. I discovered it on emulators and felt like a true swan song for SNK (along Last Blade 2 and Garou)
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

I'm playing MS3 at the moment and I must say after putting some time into it I'm really enjoying it. Graphics are awesome too
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
geosnow
eBay: g3osnow

Post by geosnow »

Dont know why but I like ms1 the most.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

geosnow wrote:Dont know why but I like ms1 the most.
Me too :)