An unlucky purchase

Fixed a PCB? Tell us how!
Forum rules
You can add Repair Logs to the Wiki here.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

An unlucky purchase

Post by Asayuki »

Hi,
I have added a new repair to the wiki. It's a Ghosts 'n' Goblins board which I bought recently.
The evil spirits residing in the EPROMs of this board as pixels came out and hunted me during the entire repair process. :-o This is probably one of the most unlucky repairs I ever did, :( made worse by my stubborn wanting to take lightly something that wasn't easy per se. :shifty:
I think you will have some fun reading it; and, as usual, the log contains technical info that I hope will be useful to the community. ;)

Questions, comments, constructive criticism are welcome. :awe:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Ghost%27n ... epair_Logs

Cheers!

EDIT: Man, I DO HATE Arremers! :sick:
Last edited by Asayuki on August 19th, 2016, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
Brettster

Re: An unlucky purchase

Post by Brettster »

wow that was an epic fix
Thoroughly enjoyed reading the log though
Looking for More Space!
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

There's an update to this repair, because the board developed another fault. ...a quite difficult one! :-o
I have also moved the repair to the top of the log for your convenience.
Asayuki wrote:Man, I DO HATE Arremers!
I really really do! Is there anybody who knows an exorcist who is willing to visit my board? :eh: :lol:

Cheers!
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

So Goldstar TTLs are to be treated as "possibly as bad as Fujitsu TTLs" regarding developing faults on internal bonding? :lol:
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

leonardoliveira wrote:So Goldstar TTLs are to be treated as "possibly as bad as Fujitsu TTLs" regarding developing faults on internal bonding? :lol:
It's hard to base a thesis on one single faulty IC out of God knows how many millions produced, but you do have a point there. The final issue really looked like faulty bonding on that GSS latch.