Atomiswave Sammy Candy Cab (Picture shifts to the left)

For monitor related issues
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Atomiswave Sammy Candy Cab (Picture shifts to the left)

Post by geotrig »

Maragenie wrote:Ok I have major update:
Arcade Machine Repair Limerick
Limerick Computers 061 518338 have a computer laboratory dedicated to the repair and upgrade of Arcade machines. In particular equipment which incorporate a computer. With computers getting faster it is possible to upgrade the brain of the arcade machine to make it operate faster and with smoother operation.

Limerick Computers stock a wide range of spare parts for the repair of old computers.

Our technicians have years of experience in repairing amusement arcade machines, especially the computer parts. Arcade equipment owners from all over Ireland bring their equipment to our computer laboratory in Limerick, Dublin Road for repair and upgrade.
I was searching the web for arcade parts and this popped up, I live in Limerick!!!

I will give them a call first thing in the morning, but I must say this does look promising.
im in limerick as well and still rather send it to grant .....he is the monitor guru and he has worked on these before there is no way the other guys have worked on these :awe: as asayuki said id say that crowd are mainly covering pc vandalised cabs

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Maragenie
Please Continue...

Post by Maragenie »

Yeah lol reading back on the thing now it's a bit crazy and they might do more harm than good. I think I will just go for the safe bet and send it onto the legend himself.

Is there much involved in whipping out that chassis? Any dangers I might want to be made aware of? :wtf:

P.S. @GEO You're from Limerick aswell eh, small world dude.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

I guess you will just send the chassis out rather than the entire monitor. If yes, then mark the places where all your connectors should go, note down their orientation, maybe make a list and shoot a couple of photos.
But most importantly, avoid killing yourself with the 25kV anodic voltage you will find under the rubber cup of the red cable going to the glass of the tube!
This topic has been covered tons of times in this forum and elsewhere. Look for example here http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1765, check videos on youtube, etc. ;)

EDIT: Oh and... the neck of the tube is quite fragile. Be careful not to break that or it's game over.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
Maragenie
Please Continue...

Post by Maragenie »

Oh God this sounds extremely intense. :wtf:

I have no problem pulling motherboards and what not out of PC's but when I hear stories of people getting fired across rooms I start getting paranoid. Anyways, I think the solution is to just get the TV repair man up the road to whip it out for me when he returns from holidays and just post it out to Master Grant.
Maragenie
Please Continue...

Post by Maragenie »

Asayuki wrote:I guess you will just send the chassis out rather than the entire monitor. If yes, then mark the places where all your connectors should go, note down their orientation, maybe make a list and shoot a couple of photos.
But most importantly, avoid killing yourself with the 25kV anodic voltage you will find under the rubber cup of the red cable going to the glass of the tube!
This topic has been covered tons of times in this forum and elsewhere. Look for example here http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1765, check videos on youtube, etc. ;)

EDIT: Oh and... the neck of the tube is quite fragile. Be careful not to break that or it's game over.
Just thinking there, If I am just taking out and posting the chassis/mobo is there any need for me to go near that connection of death at the back of the tube? Am I not just able to disconnect the chassis from the connections on the board itself?

One more thing, is there an auto discharge on this monitor? I am reading about such a feature on other forums.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

Maragenie wrote:P.S. @GEO You're from Limerick aswell eh, small world dude.

good to see another limerick head about :awe: arcade addict from the vic years ago :(

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

Maragenie wrote:
Asayuki wrote:I guess you will just send the chassis out rather than the entire monitor. If yes, then mark the places where all your connectors should go, note down their orientation, maybe make a list and shoot a couple of photos.

Just thinking there, If I am just taking out and posting the chassis/mobo is there any need for me to go near that connection of death at the back of the tube? Am I not just able to disconnect the chassis from the connections on the board itself?

One more thing, is there an auto discharge on this monitor? I am reading about such a feature on other forums.

most modern monitors auto discharge and this should also ...but its never a bad thing to do a discharge just in case !

Maragenie
Please Continue...

Post by Maragenie »

Again, thanks for all the advice.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

You could also unplug the cab from your mains for a week if you are worried about discharge :)
Maragenie
Please Continue...

Post by Maragenie »

zak wrote:You could also unplug the cab from your mains for a week if you are worried about discharge :)

Yeah dude I'll do that altogether and whip it out myself, I was away for the weekend so I'll double back on this mission now in the next few days and whip it out.

@Grant: If I go ahead with tearing it out is it cool with you if I post it? And if it is indeed suitable for you where shall I send it?
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

Post by FcoBenitez »

Maragenie wrote:

Yes, you will need to disconnect the anode cup at the back of the tube. And someone already said this but yes I think some monitors have this auto discharge function, my 19" monitors discharge pretty quickly. Just remember to always discharge with the cabinet unplugged from the wall - not just turned off. And do it 2 or 3 times just so you can relax while manipulating the chassis afterwards knowing that its safe to do so :)

Edit: actually I dont really know if my 19" monitors have this auto discharge function, I said that based on the fact that, when I unplug the monitor and wait less than 15 minutes for discharging, I can hear and see a big spark, scared the f_k out of me the first time. But if I wait and hour or two, just sound, not visible. Waiting for 12 hours, just a small click.
2X Sega Aero City
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

The anodic voltage for the tube is generated by a voltage multiplier circuitry based on diodes and capacitors. In very old TV sets this was a separate component called triplicator and sitting between the lopt and the tube. Nowadays it (or something equivalent) is embedded in the lopt itself. They could have added some series of megaohm resistors to it, but the very high voltage makes their construction very challenging. I have honestly never heard of an "autodischarge" feature and I would honestly never entrust my life to it even if someone proved its existance to me: safety features can break as well! By the way, a day or two is not what I would call a "reasonable" self discharge time.
Long story short: play it safe! Let it sit for a while if you want but DO perform the discharge procedure! Your life is worth more than the monitor.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

Some Nanaos/Toshibas have something as they become discharged in seconds.
Im able to lift the anode-cap almost directly after powering off....though I always use rubber gloves when working behind the tube.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

The residual charge (which is by no means as dangerous as the full 25KV during operation) dissipates itself through a bleeder resistor inside the flyback. It can be seen in this scheme connecting HV to the focus-screen pots and eventually going to ground:

http://www.hrdiemen.com/reparation/flyback/scheme/7027

In other cases it's just not there:

http://www.hrdiemen.com/reparation/flyback/scheme/7025

Anyway it's perfectly possible to remove the anode cup without getting shocked even if the cavity underneath remains charged.
bagheera369

Post by bagheera369 »

Yep. As long as the circuit that handles the drain is functional, you're fine. Go ahead and unplug the cab, give it a couple hours, discharge under the anode cup yourself, twice to make sure. Then its just getting the anode cup off, and you are good to go. Just dont lay an arm or hand across that empty hole on the tube....there can be some very minor voltage still there, and while it wont hurt usually, it will scare you while your working, or tingle your fingers.

I will tell you this though....be careful to remove ALL of the cables that connect the tube to the chassis, and do it CAREFULLY. There's the yoke connector, degauss <sp> connector, a ground connector for the board, and one for the neckboard, the anode cup, and a small 2 pin red and black cable that comes off the bottom of the yoke, I believe as well.

The reason I say be careful, is that I was in a rush when I got my cab, and missed one cable as I was going to rotate the tube....and well....snap....broke the neck, killed a 400$ monitor in the process, and took a year before I found a suitable replacement, but its the vga/xvga/svga model...so no more trisync in my cab....so just be patient, check every cable twice, and work slowly.

Best of luck sir.
Maragenie
Please Continue...

Post by Maragenie »

Hi, I'm basically looking for a green light now from Grant to pull out the board and send it away for repair.

Let me know if you have time G. :)
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

send it over as soon as you like
Maragenie
Please Continue...

Post by Maragenie »

Thanks Grant, I'll let you know so when I have it packed up and ready to go.
ohskedan
Please Continue...

Post by ohskedan »

Hello,

Was this issue ever fixed? I have the same problem with the same setup.

Thanks