For monitor related issues
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

MS8 26 troubles

Post by tetsujin »

Hi all.

Before I start I am a COMPLETE monitor noob. I know how to turn the pots etc but thats it! :D

I have just got a Aero City and everyone said how more vibrant these little 26 inch monitors are but mine isnt.

It seems really dull and seems like there is more blue that any other colour. I have twisted lots of pots etc and got it so it looks good on a colour test screen but when in game (Mr Driller G) it still looks bland! :D

Now, is this just due to the age of the monitor or is it poorly set up??

Can you but new chassis for these or something? I cant do any work myself, i dont have a multi meter and if I did i wouldnt know what to do with it! :D

Cheers
Adam :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: MS8 26 troubles

Post by grantspain »

man don't you people read my posts,change c332 10uf 250v electrolitic capacitor on the neck card and check for bad solder joints on the crt socket
another important thing to check is your +5v from the psu,a low +5 will affect the picture as well
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

grantspain wrote:man don't you people read my posts,change c332 10uf 250v electrolitic capacitor on the neck card and check for bad solder joints on the crt socket
another important thing to check is your +5v from the psu,a low +5 will affect the picture as well
ill just put this... :?: :?: :?: I saw in monitor info that you said change the c332 but you refrenced to the MS8 29 not 26 how big of a job is it to change and where can I find the part?
And refer back to this...
tetsujin wrote:
Before I start I am a COMPLETE monitor noob. I know how to turn the pots etc but thats it! :D
Show me the other post and I can go from there. I don't normally pay much attention the the exact workings of a monitor to be honest so have not read every post on evry monitor ever! :D
LOL Cats... stupid cats
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

It's a very common problem with the MS8 & MS9 monitors and the screen size has nothing to do with it.

The part that needs replacing is circled.

tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

Cheers! :D

so... what's next then?

Buy a soldering iron and get replacing?

Is it a simple job and where would I find this 'replacement' part?

Could it be trusted for me to do it or is it a pro job? I can use a soldering iron etc I just have NEVER worked with monitors! :D

Would I have to do that thing where you stick a screwdriver into the monitor to do this?

Cheers
Adam :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

its an easy job,even for a noob-as long as you can use a soldering iron
but first check your +5volts at the jamma connector with a multimeter-you should be in the range of 5.05 and 5.15

the cap 332 is on every nanao ms8 chassis and it is probably the most common problem-normally it results in poor definition and brightness issues,almost like someone had messed around with the colours etc-sometimes it improves after 10 mins or so but other times it does not

if want a walk through i can do it but make sure you have checked the +5 first and then make sure you have the cap/soldering iron to do the job
you would need to get the cap from dalbani/grandata/cpc/farnell etc-also ebay (you need 10uf 250v radial lead)
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

grantspain wrote:its an easy job,even for a noob-as long as you can use a soldering iron
but first check your +5volts at the jamma connector with a multimeter-you should be in the range of 5.05 and 5.15

the cap 332 is on every nanao ms8 chassis and it is probably the most common problem-normally it results in poor definition and brightness issues,almost like someone had messed around with the colours etc-sometimes it improves after 10 mins or so but other times it does not

if want a walk through i can do it but make sure you have checked the +5 first and then make sure you have the cap/soldering iron to do the job
you would need to get the cap from dalbani/grandata/cpc/farnell etc-also ebay (you need 10uf 250v radial lead)
Cheers mate.

I will get a soldering iron and a multi meter first, check whats what and get back to you.

Is this what I need? ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10uF-250V-CAPACIT ... 500wt_1182
LOL Cats... stupid cats
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

Is this what I need? ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10uF-250V-CAPACIT ... 500wt_1182
yep
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

when looking for a soldering iron and multi meter is there any requirements/spec I should be looking to buy??

I need to make sure I have the right tool for the job! :D
LOL Cats... stupid cats
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

just a very basic multimeter and a soldering iron with a fine tip-oh and solder of course
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

cheers, just ordered :)

As soon as I get the multi meter I can tell whats the Jamma loom is up to! :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Silly little thing, but switching a component out without something to get rid of the old solder clogging up the hole is a pain.

Get yourself a solder sucker too.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Or some desolder braid - both available at Maplin.