DDP DOJ on PGM2 - er WTF?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
ChurchOfSolipsism
eBay: knowledge-is-power-arm-yoursel

Re: DDP DOJ on PGM2 - er WTF?

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

cools wrote:The ships in DOJ are too slow. Far too slow.
I'd love to have more smart bombs but the other two types being too slow I always pick the doll that leaves me with only one bomb. The speed of the red ship with that doll is perfect, I'd say, any faster would be wasted on me.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
cools wrote:The ships in DOJ are too slow. Far too slow.
I'd love to have more smart bombs but the other two types being too slow I always pick the doll that leaves me with only one bomb. The speed of the red ship with that doll is perfect, I'd say, any faster would be wasted on me.
Yeah, the expert doll is the only way to play. It feels a bit like flying through treacle with the middle laser doll :D
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

kernow wrote:The dolls don't alter the speed of the ships surely, just the shot/lazer bias.

I thought just choosing a/b type chose the speed of the ship.
Expert is a bit for faster for sure.
I would say Shot: Medium, Laser: Slow as hell, Expert: Fastest.
The difference between shot and expert isn't huge but it is there.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I've had a few credits. It boots with a PGM "for use in China" screen followed by PGM2, IGS, Cave and "Tong Li Animation" logos.

Original mode seems exactly like regular DOJ to me. You'd have to really know the game well to spot any differences. Easy mode is subtle too, it took until the first boss for me to notice anything. There are some reduced bullet patterns, possibly slower bullets and weaker enemies in places too, again you'd need to know every pattern to list them. Its no "Novice" mode thats for sure, subtle changes but I do actually get considerably further in it. It's DOJ for human players and I can see myself enjoying that.

Default dips have the extends at 10 and 30 mill, which as I recall is no change, however default difficulty out of the usual four is "Easy" which leads me to wonder if Easy mode is simply allowing the player to select what the operator could all along. Has anyone fiddled with the difficulty settings on regular DOJ? What changes?

Oh and the board save scores which is nice.
Akraten
Please Continue...
Initials: BAD

Post by Akraten »

very cool
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

I remember setting Ketsui to Easy once when I borrowed a PCB, and the biggest changes was the lack of bullets when facing the bosses. So that makes sense. At least there's no autobomb then? :awe:
Dave_K.
Please Continue...

Post by Dave_K. »

SuperPang wrote: Has anyone fiddled with the difficulty settings on regular DOJ? What changes?
Thanks for the quick review SuperPang! I found a video of DOJ Soul on Nico Video, which I assume is Easy mode. The bullets are moving a lot slower than original DOJ even on Easy setting, so there is definitely some more tuning that was done for this new mode. To be honest I don't notice much difference between easy and normal on original DOJ.

I've also been playing a lot of the DOJBLEX port, attempting to unlock X Mode, switching between Original and BL a lot, and found that BL is much easier than Original, even on easy setting! You can see a drastic difference in bullet speed/rank even on the first boss when he fires his radial pattern (its like 1/2 the speed in BL). I can also get much further in BL (probably because extends come faster...and score is generally twice what I normally get). So maybe BL on Easy is closer to DOJ Soul? I'd love to do a side by side comparison.
buffi

Post by buffi »

pogfanatic wrote:Yeah was checking out the excellent site earlier and just joined there mailer. Is this site legit? and when/how did kof98um pgm2 doj come to be? looked like boots to me but no? so confuse!
Excellentcom is legit and quite... excellent actually :)

They do sell a few bootlegs as well, but they are marked with a * character after their name in their price list, and they will always email you and confirm that you are in fact buying a bootleg if you request one of those games.

I've dealt with them five or six times and they've always been super friendly.
finnyhaddock
Please Continue...

Post by finnyhaddock »

Is the price at excellent 980usd the cheapeset you can buy this for?
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

$798 at Legend company. One for the more anal Cave collector though I'd say. You can get a DOJBL for that and BL is still the definitive DOJ, in fact it's the best Pachi in my opinion.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Dave_K. wrote: I found a video of DOJ Soul on Nico Video, which I assume is Easy mode. The bullets are moving a lot slower than original DOJ even on Easy setting, so there is definitely some more tuning that was done for this new mode.
Actually that appears to be original mode. The bullets could indeed be slower. Its been quite a few months since I played DOJ and I've played mostly BL since I got that.

The default dip setting has me really confused. I wonder if it refers to Easy, Original or both. Perhaps Original is regular DOJ on Easy?

I need to play this a lot more :palm:
system11

Post by system11 »

I'd be curious to know what the picture is like compared to a normal board. I have Oriental Legend 2 on PGM2, and it's a nice little game but I always thought the picture quality was somewhat suspect compared to most of my PCBs (although Cave ones are pretty **** far from great too).

Compare a PGM2 or Cave SH3 board to the picture quality on old Capcom stuff like Black Tiger, or similar vintage titles like Robocop and the difference in image quality is like night and day, the old stuff wins hands down.
Random blog of stuff:
http://blog.system11.org
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

SH3 is fairly large on the horizontal. Hows the image quality if the picture is left at the correct settings for the old board, when swapped with a new one?
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

I think the screen sizing is the same as PGM, RGB gain too.
system11

Post by system11 »

I might have to buy one of these - the lure of easy mode. I always liked DOJ but it was just too difficult for me.
Random blog of stuff:
system11

Post by system11 »

spmbx wrote:Did anyone ever manage to fix their pgm2? i read about a few people with non-working pgm2 boards when the onboard battery went empty but never read how to fix that?
It's easy - you ... replace the battery in the cart ;) I had an Oriental Legend 2 do it, what will happen is that it keeps telling you to power off/on after the battery test fails. What I noticed is it only settled down and stopped complaining after I'd set the time/date once the battery was replaced.
Random blog of stuff:
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

What sort of battery is it?
system11

Post by system11 »

SuperPang wrote:What sort of battery is it?
The original was (if I recall) a Panasonic CR2032 coin cell - in a battery holder, just unscrew the cart base, remove the PCB and change the battery.

What I would note is that the batteries don't last very long in these - I changed mine about a year ago I guess and it's gone flat again already, went to play it just now and it whined about the battery again - measured it with a meter - sure enough down to 1.01v now, but that was a cheap supermarket replacement brand.
Last edited by system11 on October 9th, 2010, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random blog of stuff:
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Phew!
Pretty lame that they're dying already though :roll:
system11

Post by system11 »

SuperPang wrote:Phew!
Pretty lame that they're dying already though :roll:
Updated post btw after being irritated by mine running out again. I think I'll take some photos and make a small guide when I buy a new battery later.
Random blog of stuff: