Espgaluda (PCB)

Post your high scores here!
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Re: Espgaluda (PCB)

Post by skykid »

emphatic wrote:
skykid wrote:Man, this is soft for a Cave game. Only just got the PCB, played it about five times and got this:

20,595,180 - Stage 5 (final boss form) Ageha

... and then I went on shmups thinking my score was ok, and I don't even rank on the scoreboard! :)

Although it's pretty easy for a cave shmup, wtf is going on with the last boss final form? :eh:
No matter how I look at it, I can't see a safe way through that pattern. Is it a case of just getting there with 4 lives in stock and soldiering through?
When you really start raking in the big scores, that's when the game really shines/gets really hard. Try to get 3+ million on stage 1, then tell me the game is "soft". :mrgreen: My tip for a successful all clear (final pattern strategy):

Use your shield barrier in very small bursts (quick tap) and steer the laser it gives off away from the CUBE, as it will otherwise replenish the lifebar of the boss. Also, try not to get caught where the cube-balls cross each other. This should give you a fighting chance, even with only two lifes left. :awe:
When it comes to getting high scores there's no such thing as a soft Cave game! I was only referring to the difficulty level, my score still has a long way to go (especially as I don't really know what I'm doing yet :D )

Thanks for the tips emph, for some reason I just figured not using my bomb at all rather than moving the laser out of range of the boss. But that criss-crossy pattern is kind of organic, I can never seem to figure out what it's going to do. If I switch into kakusei mode, can the boss still take damage or does it shield up?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Kakusei works also for the last boss. I try not to use it though, as getting hit will fire half of your barrier, and that's no good should the boss get hit by it. I'm sure there's some MrMonkeyMan video linked in this thread that shows you lot's of nice tricks, including the "shortcut" on boss 4's first form (sneaking up near the root of the intense, thick rotating pattern to get above it), or how to use the barrier bomb on certain mid-bosses to score better.

I just bought another EGRET II, so I guess I'll stick this game in as soon as I've collected it to celebrate and see if I can improve on my very old score. :awe: It does have some amazingly fun patterns, this one.
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

emphatic wrote:Kakusei works also for the last boss. I try not to use it though, as getting hit will fire half of your barrier, and that's no good should the boss get hit by it. I'm sure there's some MrMonkeyMan video linked in this thread that shows you lot's of nice tricks, including the "shortcut" on boss 4's first form (sneaking up near the root of the intense, thick rotating pattern to get above it), or how to use the barrier bomb on certain mid-bosses to score better.

I just bought another EGRET II, so I guess I'll stick this game in as soon as I've collected it to celebrate and see if I can improve on my very old score. :awe: It does have some amazingly fun patterns, this one.

Cool, I'll check out the vid tonight. :)

I haven't looked at a single video for scoring tricks yet, just kind of making it up as I go along at the moment. Funny, even though the PS2 port is excellent, I always struggled to make progress on the console - seemed much harder. With the PCB it falls into place a lot more easily (seems to be the case a lot of the time I go from port to PCB actually.)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

skykid wrote:Cool, I'll check out the vid tonight. :)

I haven't looked at a single video for scoring tricks yet, just kind of making it up as I go along at the moment. Funny, even though the PS2 port is excellent, I always struggled to make progress on the console - seemed much harder. With the PCB it falls into place a lot more easily (seems to be the case a lot of the time I go from port to PCB actually.)
Well, did you play the port in your cab? :awe:

The best scoring tricks are:
Don't do small runs in Kakusei, unless you know you can save the most gems to big scoring parts later in the same stage. Best is to start Kakusei, and wait for the screen to fill up with bullets. Then slowly kill of small tanks and other stuff that really pump out bullets at you. Patience is key.

Have no gems left and nothing to kill? Switch to Kakusei overmode, and see your score auto-roll. The overmode has different stages as well, look at the timer around your character in the videos. When the "aura" disappears, you'll get MORE gems from enemies. This is also true if you stay near the top 20% of the screen. The most fun part of the game is learning exactly when and for how long the Kakusei is fruitful.

Btw, MrMonkeyMan's videos are great, but some stuff is quite had to pull off, so I suggest you find your own ways should his' not pan out for you. Here's a nice video from someone else: http://www.arcade-extreme.com/download. ... dgn_63.avi"

:awe:
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

Sweet, thanks Emph!

Just wondering also, are there score penalities for using the guard barrier? I know when you die it reduces your gold counter a bit.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

skykid wrote:Sweet, thanks Emph!

Just wondering also, are there score penalities for using the guard barrier? I know when you die it reduces your gold counter a bit.
Yes, if you kill enemies with it you don't get gems or points. :awe: Also, if you clear the game, suiciding right before you kill the boss is actually better if your barrier meter is empty, as it is a huge part of the clear bonus.
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

emphatic wrote:
skykid wrote:Sweet, thanks Emph!

Yes, if you kill enemies with it you don't get gems or points. :awe: Also, if you clear the game, suiciding right before you kill the boss is actually better if your barrier meter is empty, as it is a huge part of the clear bonus.
Gawd, really? I'm not sure I could afford to suicide any lives with that bloody last pattern. :evil:
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

Scored a Mil on the first level tonight. Still haven't watched the vids (no time!) but I'm beginning to stack points. My trouble is I'm crap at storing gems, I just want to keep unleashing kakusei on any enemy with slightly thicker patterns than the norm.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

skykid wrote:Scored a Mil on the first level tonight. Still haven't watched the vids (no time!) but I'm beginning to stack points. My trouble is I'm crap at storing gems, I just want to keep unleashing kakusei on any enemy with slightly thicker patterns than the norm.
I see. But thicker patterns aren't always the biggest scores. Those small tanks pump out shots if you let them. The trick is to stay in Kakusei as long as possible. I.e. save you gems for the best parts of the stages. :awe: Also, videos helps heaps with learning how to score.
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

Marginal increase.

Skykid - --- - 22,347,640 - 5

That last boss is pretty niggly.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

wow, this is gonna look poor score in comparison to others... haha :D

only had it since Thursday night and did not get a chance to play it all weekend either.

Any novice tips for say the use of the green gems etc on the first level?
LOL Cats... stupid cats
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

problem is though, I am not always sure what I am doing or am supposed to be doing! :D haha

I save the bulllet swap (what is this called) for the larger enemies or the bosses when I know there about to take a big hit.

I have tried reading Q/A's over on Shmups but its a little over my head.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

kernow wrote:Just wait for a ton of bullets to appear, then switch over and clean up, but not too early else you might run out of timer while killing the bosses, timing is involved.

If you stay in B mode (kakusei mode), and it runs out the bullets will get pink and fast, if you stay in this mode the longer you do you'll notice a ring going around the outside of your characer, up to 3 times, it then lasts longer when you use it with gems next time, you have more 'ring' so to speak :)

explaining this while extremely hungover is hard. :(

Cheers dude.

next time I get a chance to play it I am gonna try out a few tactics/ways to play the game and just go with the usual trial and error way! :D
LOL Cats... stupid cats
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Best way to use it (for a beginner) is to save up a lot of gems, then switch over to Kakusei and WAIT. As you switch over, popcorn enemies will start pumping out bullets, so try to remember areas with lots of tanks, as ground enemies doesn't eat away on your gem stock the way those annoying small flying enemies do. Wait until the first bullet fired by an enemy is about to go out of the screen, then kill that particular enemy. The longer you stay in Kakusei mode, the higher your multiplier will climb.

On stage 1, you can reach 1 million with some practice by doing this:

As your reach the gun turret right before the midboss, fire a couple of rounds into it, then switch. Kill the turret when it fires again and then stay in Kakusei mode without killing the tanks until the first one is about to go under that opening in the castle wall. I have a small video (bad quality) of my own usual stage 1 run here:

:awe:
TwonK
Got boots? Get cash! $$$

Post by TwonK »

Here are my **** scores.

I'll try to get some gaming in this weekend if everything stays OK with my current situation.
Twonk wrote:Nobody passed this game to you claiming it was 100% real.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Nice, I consider starting to score (or at least 1CC) with Tateha soon. :thumbup:
TwonK
Got boots? Get cash! $$$

Post by TwonK »

A little better - almost 1CC'd it this time.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Nice score Twonk. I could never get with the controls of this game. After playing Ketsui/DOJ they always felt awkward.
TwonK
Got boots? Get cash! $$$

Post by TwonK »

yosai wrote:Nice score Twonk. I could never get with the controls of this game. After playing Ketsui/DOJ they always felt awkward.
I swap the bomb and auto-fire buttons, so the bomb is on the far right.

The end of Stage 5 is awesome! - You need to have like 350 gems and milk those soldiers.

I thought I 1CC'd it, but another boss came out so I got him halfway down - if I didnt lose a life real stupidly earlier on, this might have been an all clear.

I won't be improving because I've swapped this board for a DOJ.

I'll give this game a break.

I already need to give Pork a break - so i'll kick myself in the balls with DOJ.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Credit feed up to the final boss. The last form is a total pain in the **** and needs practice.

without Prqctice or insane skill you'll not clear it.