Super Famicom Console ... Sudden black screen!

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
FerociousSwan
Super Famicom Console ... Sudden black screen!

Post by FerociousSwan »

I've owned this SFC console for over a year, was working fine and dandy.
Hadn't used it since Christmas Day (when my nephew came up)

Tried it recently and it's just a black screen, it flickers on when you switch it on. But the screen is just black.

The only signal I had was something was going wrong, when we played on Christmas it was Wild Guns in 2 player, bizarrely when my Nephew had his own controller plugged into 2P we couldn't select characters or options ...
Unplugged his it worked and then plugged it in during gameplay was fine.
Coincidence? Not sure ...

So, is there anything that can be done? Or is it a last cause?

I know SFC consoles are cheap, however mine is a 1-CHIP so I don't really want to ditch it.
The prices people are selling them for now on EBay are crazy.

Thanks!
JackieHarris
eBay: sgt_murray
Initials: MAC

Re: Super Famicom Console ... Sudden black screen!

Post by JackieHarris »

Maybe too obvious, but could it be a connection issue?

I had the same problem happen - flicker, but black screen on turn on - but if I pushed down on the cart while turning on, the game started. So the connection just needed cleaned. All I did was clean the cart with some lighter fluid, insert it & eject it a few times, and it's worked as normal since then.
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

Insert, re-insert and re-re-insert the game cart! :awe:
My SFC is continually black screening, and I sometimes have to eject the game 4 or five times before it comes back to life.
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Maybe something wrong with the scart cable ? Got switched or Damaged is it SFC and send cables that show a black screen when the wrong one is connected....I know it happens with some console not sure which one now lol

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
FerociousSwan

Post by FerociousSwan »

I have encountered in the past when a couple of carts needed pushing down or sat at a certain angle to boot, but now its all carts that produce a black screen, including ones that booted without issue before.

The cable I use has only ever been used for the same console too, a retrogamingcables 'cable' so nothing has been swapped over or changed.

Thanks for the replies though guys!
JackieHarris
eBay: sgt_murray
Initials: MAC

Post by JackieHarris »

FerociousSwan wrote:I have encountered in the past when a couple of carts needed pushing down or sat at a certain angle to boot, but now its all carts that produce a black screen, including ones that booted without issue before.
That sounds like the console's connector pins are dirty. You can clean them by applying alcohol / cleaning solution to a piece of cardboard and inserting & removing, or applying it generously to a cart's pins and inserting & removing the cart multiple times (that's what I've done in the past). Will take a few attempts probably.
FerociousSwan

Post by FerociousSwan »

JackieHarris wrote:
FerociousSwan wrote:I have encountered in the past when a couple of carts needed pushing down or sat at a certain angle to boot, but now its all carts that produce a black screen, including ones that booted without issue before.
That sounds like the console's connector pins are dirty. You can clean them by applying alcohol / cleaning solution to a piece of cardboard and inserting & removing, or applying it generously to a cart's pins and inserting & removing the cart multiple times (that's what I've done in the past). Will take a few attempts probably.
That is definitely worth a go! Thanks for that, I'll give it a try (if I can find some cleaning fluid!)

My nephew also brought up some other SFC games we played, admittedly they were a bit dirty and manky ... Perhaps caused some issues on the console?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Brand new connectors cost next to nothing. Might as well get a new one.

EDIT: although, quality will possibly be not upto Nintendo spec. Still, I'm happy with my new Chinese connector.
ozzieowl
Please Continue...
eBay: ozzie_owl

Post by ozzieowl »

I had the same problem a few years ago. Got some mentholated spirits from a chemist. Worked a treat.
FerociousSwan wrote:
JackieHarris wrote:
That is definitely worth a go! Thanks for that, I'll give it a try (if I can find some cleaning fluid!)

My nephew also brought up some other SFC games we played, admittedly they were a bit dirty and manky ... Perhaps caused some issues on the console?
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

WD-40 helps against oxidation after cleaning (and cleaning in itself, too) but can leave an oily residue.
George
Please Continue...
Initials: GEO

Post by George »

Happened to me but i had no power, maybe the Pico fuse is on it's way out also. easy fix for 50p or so
https://console5.com/store/fuse-125v-1-5a-pico.html
Up a bit stop, down a bit stop, left a bit stop FIRE Oh you hopeless bast. Thank you my names Bob monkhouse and this has been the Golden Shot.