Neo Geo AES King of Monsters, carton only? (Japanese)

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
slugflyer

Neo Geo AES King of Monsters, carton only? (Japanese)

Post by slugflyer »

Hey everyone, ive scoured google and cant for the life of me find a photo other than this one of the king of monsters japanese, in a non carton box.

I cant tell if its a faked case because the top right of the insert looks like its not very straight but... maybe thats the image playing tricks with my eyes. (Edit image too large for website cant upload it atm)

Can anyone verify if this game came out in a non carton form for the Japanese market?

Thanks!
Here to represent new style VEWLIX arcade fans. Both of you.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Re: Neo Geo AES King of Monsters, carton only? (Japanese)

Post by bloodhokuto »

From a distant memory there may have been a carton release - same with a couple of other early titles.

However, like you say I can't see any listings for non-cardboard.

Whilst not the absolute authority, the neo-geo.com master list only shows the cardboard for the JPN release.

I know of only 1 title that was re-released (JPN Slug 3 HC), or had a 2nd run, but that doesn't mean that they didn't do more and I just don't know of them.

I'm inclined to be sceptical, would like to see the photo.

NB picked up a a JPN home cart only recently myself (with a **** cardboard box).
slugflyer

Post by slugflyer »

Here's the auction - tempted if this actually came out - then I looked at the top right and saw it looked a little angled - but that could be the photo. The back art looks like proper back art which further baffles me, because it's a lot of effort to make a fake of this isn't it?

"Comes complete with original cartridge, box, artwork and manual."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-of-the-M ... SwMVdYIkTC

Really puzzled at how I can't find a single photo of this anywhere else... :wtf:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Repro cover, and not a good one. Scanned and printed.

Both the front and back are badly cropped, and the back fold edge shows clear dirt typical of the cardboard boxes.
slugflyer

Post by slugflyer »

Thanks guys. I don't think this did ever come out non carton - so this must be the ONLY game that was CARTON ONLY - right?

update: he's changed the text now - he didnt realise it was cardboard (I asked the seller).

So just wondering still, was that the only one then that was cardboard only (Japanese AES)? Thanks in advance!
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

slugflyer wrote:Thanks guys. I don't think this did ever come out non carton - so this must be the ONLY game that was CARTON ONLY - right?

update: he's changed the text now - he didnt realise it was cardboard (I asked the seller).

So just wondering still, was that the only one then that was cardboard only (Japanese AES)? Thanks in advance!
Out of the Japanese launch games, it's the other way round. I think only Magician Lord and Nam '75 were carton, the rest were cardboard.

The 1991+ early releases were more of a mixed bag up until about 1992, when cardboard was dropped.

This is barring any 2nd runs, but having thought more I believe that with the exception of SS0, MS3 JPN was the only official title to have a second-run release (not that has anything to do with cardboard / carton boxes).
slugflyer

Post by slugflyer »

bloodhokuto wrote:
slugflyer wrote:Thanks guys. I don't think this did ever come out non carton - so this must be the ONLY game that was CARTON ONLY - right?

Out of the Japanese launch games, it's the other way round. I think only Magician Lord and Nam '75 were carton, the rest were cardboard.

The 1991+ early releases were more of a mixed bag up until about 1992, when cardboard was dropped.

This is barring any 2nd runs, but having thought more I believe that with the exception of SS0, MS3 JPN was the only official title to have a second-run release (not that has anything to do with cardboard / carton boxes).
Sorry - I was using carton and carboard as the same thing :lol: So it seems the only game I cannot find a Japanese cardboard of is King Of Monsters. The rest all had versions which are the opening folding style with paper insert. Magician Lord and NAM I have seen in the opening fold style with insert, in Japanese format I believe (?) I may be mistaken... :roll: