I'm currently playing:

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

I'm currently playing:

Post by cools »

Sonic 1 on the SMS

When it was new it was pretty much all I played at home until Sonic Twosday. I used to be able to do quite a number of levels on muscle memory alone, apart from the forced scrolling Bridge Zone one and the random boss attacks. 1LC every time, multiple times every day for months.

I've not played it properly since those days. Let's see how far I can get.
StandardDeluxe
Please Continue...

Re: Tonight I'm playing:

Post by StandardDeluxe »

I always preferred the Sonic games on the Master System/Game Gear over the Megadrive versions. But then I'm not the greatest Sonic fan and I reckon the Neo Pocket version is one of the best.

I really hope Lost Worlds is good.....
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 on my DS. Bought it years ago, never found the time to play it till I was ill this week. I'm about 40 hours deep already. :awe:
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

I enjoyed the original IB, can't really play the second on an iPhone 4, it's way too choppy :(
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Rossyra wrote:it's way too choppy
You're way too choppy. :fastlove:
ImageImageImageImage
Pilgrim_Pramsta
eBay: pilgrim_pramsta
Initials: JON

Post by Pilgrim_Pramsta »

Borderlands 2. Only got hold of it a couple of weeks ago and...well...so much for anything like a life. Almost can't wait to finish it so I can do stuff that matters!!!
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

[expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] ing
Strikers 1945

[expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted]

:mad:
richy13
Ming the Merciless
eBay: ...

Post by richy13 »

Super Turbo @ aero city (ralphs) with slater his balrog (JP) was awesome tonight :D
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Earth Defense Forces 4. Amazing game. I've only been using the ranger class so far and cleared about half of the missions. After I've beaten the game as the ranger I still have three other classes to beat the game with it!
dotty
Please Continue...
Initials: TAK

Post by dotty »

Duck Tales Remastered :mrgreen:
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

mirrors edge :problem:
cools wrote:Sonic 1 on the SMS
SMS ? I'll prod kick myselg if i actually know what this is

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

kernow wrote:Sega Master system you dork
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Lost my first life on Bridge Zone 2 trying to get the Chaos Emerald. I'll put that one down to input/display lag or lack of overscan... Then lost most of my lives on Bridge Zone 3 - I'd forgotten you have to be exceptionally careful as the boss is glitchy for bounces.

Missed the Emerald on Jungle Zone 1, which annoyed me. Checking a map now shows where I went wrong - I was looking for a log to roll right, not left. Lost another ton of lives on Jungle Zone 2 and a few on the boss.

Labyrinth Zone didn't pose many problems. Some careless deaths from mistiming the slowed down jumps.

Scrap Brain Zone incomplete. Got to Act 3 and finished playing for the night.

Things that impressed me now that I'd either forgotten or didn't notice back in the day:
  • The music is really good. The SMS may only be PSG (I've not found any FM games on the SMS with music I've liked), but Sonic belts out some outstanding tunes.
  • There's a ton of slowdown, and not the good type - the type that suddenly quits and trips you up.
  • It's unforgiving. You have one chance at a lot of tasks, and if you screw up you have to kill yourself to try again. Go too far and even suicide doesn't help. The Labyrinth Zone Emerald requires you to have the single invincibility power up to get it. The Jungle Zone Emerald *looks* like you can get it if you go too far, but the camera pans so you're making a bad gamble leap of faith. Which brings me onto the final point...
  • Can anyone else point out a game from that far back that actually controls the camera to show you what's ahead? We take it for granted now that the camera will act intelligently, but I can't think of anything else in the 8 or 16-bit era that does this. Even the sequel on the SMS didn't, if I recall correctly.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

kernow wrote:Master system you dork
:palm: */me starts kicking

:awe:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

TheRedKnight wrote:Earth Defense Forces 4. Amazing game. I've only been using the ranger class so far and cleared about half of the missions. After I've beaten the game as the ranger I still have three other classes to beat the game with it!
i've been meaning to play one of these for a while ,they look good

pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

cools wrote:Can anyone else point out a game from that far back that actually controls the camera to show you what's ahead? We take it for granted now that the camera will act intelligently, but I can't think of anything else in the 8 or 16-bit era that does this. Even the sequel on the SMS didn't, if I recall correctly.[/list]
Super Mario World let you scroll a bit left or right with L/R. I think you could look up too, but you can do that in Sonic.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Picked up SMS Sonic on Wii VC a year or so ago for a nostalgia trip and ran through it in about an hour on one credit, I think I may have picked up all the emeralds too. I was surprised by a) how much I remembered b) how much slowdown there was and c) how ridiculously easy it is compared to the MD. Not sure how old I was when I had it but it took me months to complete.
theman
eBay: aero_city
Initials: RJC

Post by theman »

Probably some more of the last of us, been chipping away at it when i've had time, just had the encounter with that dirty bloater thing :shifty:
gz20tt

Post by gz20tt »

Finished Gears of War 2 last weekend.
Needed a break - so I picked up a cheap copy of Bulletstorm and have been having some silly fun with that.
Will get back to it for the weekend.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Pubjoe: Sonic lets you look up and down, but it moves the camera appropriately by itself as well. I'm wondering if it's the earliest occurrence of this.

Superjoe: I've never taken the time to complete the MD one, though I know once you hit the later levels filled with bumpers it's frustrating. I'll give it another try soon. NTSC though, the PAL is sluggish beyond belief.