Console Exclusive Arcade Style Games

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
rodwod
Please Continue...
Initials: CCP

Re: Console Exclusive Arcade Style Games

Post by rodwod »

Oh sorry i have missed the point.

No i think most are not really arcade style in that way as such so i will remove the list.
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

I think you should add those games to the List.:
- End Game, Light Gun, PlayStation 2 exklusive
- Loaded, Top down shooting Action, Playstation and Saturn exclusive
- Reloaded, Top down shooting Action, Playstation and Saturn exclusive
- Thrill Kill, Fighting Game, PlayStation
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

Possible we could get PC games added to this list? A lot of arcade style games are coming more for the PC rather than consoles these days...
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Hellfromabove wrote:Possible we could get PC games added to this list? A lot of arcade style games are coming more for the PC rather than consoles these days...
Maybe later. Right now there's still too much to add in with the older consoles alone and I don't really have interest for new games.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Thing is, any game with lives or stages or certainly continues is an arcade style game. It's an interesting list to pick out the most arcadey but where do you draw the line? Doom was arcade style. Even Lemmings and Cannon Fodder were arcade style.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Basically console games that are playable on a cab/stick or a racing cab that fall into the mold of popular arcade game genres. I know now I took a big bite, so now I just update the list when I stumble upon a game I think is worth trying.

Anyone is free to think that Doom or Lemmings is an arcade game, but they're not going to end up on this list.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Didn't expect they'd be on the list but funnily enough both of those had arcade ports in the works.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Okay here's an interesting question. I'm not arguing btw - I don't know the answer. I'm just mind tickling.

At what point did the Super Mario Bros series stop being arcade style?
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

If you're wondering why the SMB games aren't listed in the Famicom / NES section it's because this more like a list of recommendations. Everyone knows Mario, so.. Personally I haven't even played all Super Mario games and I wouldn't play any of them on a cab.

There are now ways to easily hook up a console to a cab and use flash carts with them, and some people have a computer with ROMZ in their cabs, so I figured a list of recommendations might be fun. The colour coding is there to help people who might want to check out games from a certain genre. That's why the list has games like Hana No Keiji. A 2D fighter for the Super Famicom that is based on a manga drawn by the same guy who drew Hokuto No Ken, and Dossun! Ganseki Battle, a game somewhat similar to Columns but with a twist uniqué, etc. Some games in the lists are common knowledge, but that's because remembering all the games of a certain genre on a certain console is a bit of a pain in the ****. It's supposed to be a bit of help, not perfect.
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

What about SFA2 '/Gold/Prime (Sega Saturn)?

A home version of Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha was released under the title of Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold in North America, Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Prime) in Europe, and Street Fighter Zero 2 ' in Japan. The game was released as part of the Street Fighter Collection, a compilation that also includes Super Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Alpha 2 Gold features most of the same changes, features, and game modes as the arcade version of Zero 2 Alpha, only omitting the 2-on-1 Dramatic Battle mode from the arcade version. In addition to all of the characters featured in previous versions of Alpha 2, Gold features a version of Cammy based on her rendition from X-Men vs. Street Fighter, who appears as a hidden character selectable only in the game's Versus and Training modes. This version was re-released in Japan as a standalone game in the PlayStation the Best and Satakore budget games lines.

- 2-on-1 dramatic battle in all versions
- Cammy as playable secret character in Versus and Training modes, Gold (US version)

SF Collection for Saturn is one of my prized possessions, having lost the SFA2 Gold disc at some point in time 10-15 years ago, and acquiring a replacement to complete the set about a year ago. :D

Also, Street Fighter Alpha Anthology?

The 2006 PlayStation 2 compilation Street Fighter Alpha Anthology features a version of the original Alpha 2 based on the arcade game, as well as a revised version of Alpha 2 Gold which features Cammy as a selectable character in the game's Arcade Mode (with her own storyline and ending). Both games feature Survival and Dramatic Battle Modes in addition to the Arcade, Versus, and Training modes. The Japanese version of the compilation (Street Fighter Zero: Fighters' Generation) features the arcade versions of Zero 2 and Zero 2 Alpha, as well as the US version of Alpha 2 and a revised version of Zero 2 as hidden games.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

pubjoe wrote:Okay here's an interesting question. I'm not arguing btw - I don't know the answer. I'm just mind tickling.

At what point did the Super Mario Bros series stop being arcade style?
Mario "Bros" series or just Mario?

Either way there are arcade style and non-arcade style Mario games being produced still.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

That's true.

I suppose I was thinking of the 'main series', including World, 64 and arguably Sunshine and Galaxy but by then it had branched off so much that there was no main trunk anymore really.

Imo it had definitely stopped being arcade style by 64 as in that game saving finally became essential, pretty much.

SMB1 and Nintendo Japan's SMB2 are essentially arcade games and they'd definitely be on my personal list. SMB3 and World are too inbetweeny for me to call. Their arcade roots are still there but (despite being included on a demo/timer arcade system) they're harder to define as an arcade game.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

World - no. 64 - no. Galaxy - no. Galaxy 2 is arcade style.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Nintendo kinda agree: http://i.imgur.com/jAuJhff.jpg
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Well it's never going to be a matter of yes or no but a matter of degree.

Galaxy 2 is more arcade style than Galaxy, but more than World? World can still be completed in a short single sitting which was pretty important to game design when we were still thinking in an arcade box.

I edited my last post a fair bit before I saw your reply btw.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

3 and World I wouldn't put on an arcade style list.
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

What about New SMB Wii and NSMB U?
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Definitely arcade "style" but the generosity of lives is a big arcade no-no.

I guess that really started happening with 3 and exploded with World.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Sorry for the Mario derail Toni. I'm really interested in what defines an arcade game. I've probably said this before but I like to think that it's mostly:

Arcade games are designed to beat you.
Homo games are designed to be beaten.

Although it probably took over a decade post-arcade for home games to truly become homo games.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Homo games eh? :awe:

I'll add Zero 2 Gold and the PS2 Zero collection to the ports with extra features.