Super Nintardbros!

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
speedlolita
eBay: speedlolita

Re: Wii U

Post by speedlolita »

fagin wrote:The Wii U is supposed to be 20% LESS powerful than the next generation of XBOX. Not a problem though when the next gen XBOX is supposed to be 6 x more powerful than the current 360! We'll see.
I'm sure that's just in terms of CPU core clock which is entirely redundant. Architecture is far more important. The original Xbox was basically just a PC after all.
fagin

Post by fagin »

speedlolita wrote:
fagin wrote:The Wii U is supposed to be 20% LESS powerful than the next generation of XBOX. Not a problem though when the next gen XBOX is supposed to be 6 x more powerful than the current 360! We'll see.
I'm sure that's just in terms of CPU core clock which is entirely redundant. Architecture is far more important. The original Xbox was basically just a PC after all.
Further research suggests that the CPU is not as good as current gen specs so it's a proper mash-up of information. Also screen shots of something like Tekken Tag 2, seem to indicate there is a lack of AA and it looks no better than current gen versions! lol

Discussions with 3rd part developers are suggesting that the Wii U versions of cross platform games *should* be better looking on the Wii but not by a massive amount. If all games are at a native 720p internal scaling minimum, that would be a good step forward I suspect.

We'll have to wait and see, but if I'm being honest I never expected the Wii U to be a techology disruptor.

COD will be a good "vs" comparison I suspect.
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

I don't think Nintendo were really aiming to have a "super powerful next gen console" when you consider the specs&price. It's Wii HD really, and I don't think that's a bad thing.
all your wiki pages belong to me
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

I saw a nice article about the Wii U saying about how Nintendo are trying to capture both the casual gamer and the hardcore gamers, Play black ops 2 on wii u or 360 ? :roll: mmm I think they may be stretching, But time will tell I guess :eh:
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Post by Hewitson »

fagin wrote:The initial launch games all have an internal resolution of 720p
What a **** joke. Even the ps2 does 1080i for gods sake.
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

kernow wrote:720p is fine for modern games, even the next gen.
i`m certain the next ps and xbox will deliver 1080p@60fps.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

I hope so. Not that it matters, I play most of my games in 240x320. :awe:
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Can't wait for this to come out, so I can pick up a Wii for £30 and play all teh Zelda and Mario games I missed.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

You can already get a wii for a handful of coins. Well worth it for the Shiggers games.
Ultron
Please Continue...

Post by Ultron »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:
kernow wrote:720p is fine for modern games, even the next gen.
i`m certain the next ps and xbox will deliver 1080p@60fps.
Actually, the next PS will support 4k and hopefully video discs at that res.
IDK whether they can squeeze 4x the storage on a custom Blu-Ray Disc.

I did see something about a 200 Gb Blu-Ray Disc before, but that was an experimental estimate based on something they'd done so far, IIRC. I also read that there's a new video codec in the works that should help. Also they might not be upgrading the audio this time? I haven't read anything about the audio side of things and audio takes up a lot of space, so leaving the audio the same would save a lot of space. I.e. not 4x the audio channels or sound quality. Having the option of 11.2 channels or something sooner rather than later would be pretty good, though.

Now before you say "4k is more way off than the next PS": 4k is coming and Sony don't want the next PS to be outdated during its lifecycle. They may even want to kickstart 4k with 4k games; 4k is something Sony and other electronics manufacturers want to bring to sell more screens, video discs, etc.

Another thing to remember is that both the PS2 and PS3 sold a lot more due to their doubling up as DVD players and Blu-Ray Disc players respectively, a new "latest format" each time for people to get a new machine for. Also the PS1 was a CD player at a time when CDs had yet to become widely accepted as "the format" (it never really did in the end) and PSP had UMDs aswell as being a portable MP3 player and video player off Memory Stick.

1920x1080 is brilliant, but I'd like to have a really big screen and not see pixels, or just have a picture with more depth, as in you can't distinguish the pixels being smaller individually, but everything just looks more vivid and detailed.

I mean; you could have a screen twice as wide and twice as high and still look just as good as that previous screen :)
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

yes , i still have hopes for 4k video playback with BDXL , but i doubt it will support 4k for games , if so something like journey at best.
you could have a screen twice as wide and twice as high and still look just as good as that previous screen
oh i had a HW-1000 running on a 120" Screen with native 4k material ;)
Ultron
Please Continue...

Post by Ultron »

I'm hoping at worst it will be like the high res mode in Gran Turismo that was added in near the end of production, just for a couple of tracks, then made the whole game in GT2. They said that they thought no-one would be able to make use of that mode and it was pretty secret.

They have demonstrated GT in 4k twice already, running on 4 PS3s or something.
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

yes , they use it for promoting their 84" 4K TV , but as far as i know it runs on custom dev hardware.
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

Wether you hated it or not the Wii certainly sold tons in those first few years :)
theevilfunkster
Keeps Lordstar on a leash

Post by theevilfunkster »

pubjoe wrote:You can already get a wii for a handful of coins. Well worth it for the Shiggers games.
Worth it to play Gamecube games through component :lol:
Braintrash
Please Continue...
eBay: yuu_madrigal

Post by Braintrash »

I keep my WIi for GC games (component), and the Wii U for Wii and Wii U (HDMI).
Although, I am not sure about buying the Wii U day one. Will see what happens.
fagin

Post by fagin »

T-8 days until I get another piece of junk! :D
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Lets hope the UK version is a bit more finished unlike the US version.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Pete wrote:Lets hope the UK version is a bit more finished unlike the US version.
There is always a benefit not going first. :lol:
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

On top of iOS destroying Nintendo's handheld market, this system is going to bomb and help Nintendo reach permanent 3rd party status.