Nintendo 3DS

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
ikaruga007
eBay: dex511
Initials: PJN

Re: Will you buy a Nintendo 3DS?

Post by ikaruga007 »

Will get it for Pilotwings, OoT and Kid Icarus. Mainly gaming on portable devices at home anyway so it's all about games that genuinely interest me, regardless of format.

And these interest me more than being able to make Nathan Drake move different places by tapping a screen :)
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

NGP ftw.
gargamel
Please Continue...

Post by gargamel »

2 possibilities for me.

1) I will wait for Mario Kart or a new super mario or chinese linkers

2) Will wait what propose NGP in term of power and games.

It is very tempting machine, but only SSF4 interest me, and i already have it on PS3.
=Capcom Mini Cute and Killer Instinct severe addiction=
Shady994
Please Continue...
eBay: lmstolton
Initials: SDY

Post by Shady994 »

I would quite like to play Pilotwings, I haven't looked at any other upcoming titles. Not really worth buying one just for that. My wife plays a lot of Wii/DS though so reduced prices on the DSiXL are far more interesting to me. 8-)
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

[x] sold it

:awe:
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
gargamel
Please Continue...

Post by gargamel »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:[x] sold it

:awe:
What did you sold? :shifty:
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

i sold my 3DS.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
Mikeosoft
Please Continue...

Post by Mikeosoft »

im scared to ttry it out i might really like it and spend money on new technology instead of building my arcade collection
gargamel
Please Continue...

Post by gargamel »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:i sold my 3DS.
:?

hearing this, is like you telling us:

"You should wait before getting it"
(Or maybe you sold it at insane price on ebay ? :mrgreen: )
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

I'm going to hold out for the following:

Region crack
More games
Price Drop
Inevitable redesign that makes the original model obselete
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
gargamel
Please Continue...

Post by gargamel »

skykid wrote:I'm going to hold out for the following:
I really dislike the design.
It looks "cheap"
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

gargamel wrote:
skykid wrote:I'm going to hold out for the following:
I really dislike the design.
It looks "cheap"
Don't know if a redesign is a good enough reason to wait (for me).

So far, the only 2 redesigns for a handels that I felt would have been relly worth waiting for was the Game Boy Pocket and the Game Boy Micro.

Can't wait for the 'LE's and what prices they will fetch on ebay (-> NDS Hot Summer Donkey etc.) :mrgreen:
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

MrSandman wrote: So far, the only 2 redesigns for a handels that I felt would have been relly worth waiting for was the Game Boy Pocket and the Game Boy Micro.
What about the GBA SP, surely the best redesign ever (by rectifying the original model's invisible screen!)

Nintendo always make their old handheld designs obsolete, it's part of their business model.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
Shady994
Please Continue...
eBay: lmstolton
Initials: SDY

Post by Shady994 »

True. I fitted one of my GBAs with an afterburner light and it made it awesome. Why Nintendo ever thought they could do without a properly lit screen I don't know.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

GBA SP with the proper backlit screen = win. Best pure 2D handheld ever.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Shady994 wrote:True. I fitted one of my GBAs with an afterburner light and it made it awesome. Why Nintendo ever thought they could do without a properly lit screen I don't know.
I did this too, in fact it was the first thing I ever soldered :)

It was ace though and made it soooo much better. Damn, its made me want to dig it out now :think:
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Post by Bingo83 »

Shady994 wrote:True. I fitted one of my GBAs with an afterburner light and it made it awesome. Why Nintendo ever thought they could do without a properly lit screen I don't know.
I never liked the GBA SP, but did have my original GBA fitted with the Afterburner as well. Its still in full working order now as well.

Had a quick play with the 3DS demo unit in my local Game shop yesterday. Didnt get to play any full release games, the staff where only letting you check out the AR games and the 3D camera. I was surprised at the level of 3d on offer, it works really well.
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
Jaelus
Please Continue...
eBay: Jaelus
Initials: JAE

Post by Jaelus »

I got to play some of the 3DS titles at PAX East last weekend.

The 3D effect really blew me away. It looked amazing and didn't bother my eyes at all - my wife found it similarly comfortable to look at and thought the 3D effect was great. The adjustment slider was a very nice feature. You end up adjusting it differently depending on the game. For example Steel Diver seemed the best with 3D all the way on, fighters with the 3D somewhat low, and Pilotwings looked the best somewhere in the middle, etc.. Graphics wise, the system seemed comparable with the last gen consoles (PS2/XBox/GCN), but it looked better due to the small screen and of course, it's in 3D.

The black version looks great, but I found the aqua blue version looked like a dark sea green color in person. Hard to describe exactly but it's really nothing like the crystal blue color shown in the ads. Anyone who preordered one I would strongly suggest changing it to the black if you don't like sparkly dark sea green. My wife likes pink (she has the pink DS Lite) and said she preferred the blue (green) one to the black one because she didn't want a black handheld.

The augmented reality stuff was really well done and tons of fun. They have you moving around a lot with the console and interacting using the camera in interesting ways. For any game that uses the motion controls though you can alternatively use the analog slider to move your perspective instead. The games I tried that used that were Steel Diver (periscope mode), Zelda (slingshot/bow), and the AR stuff.

The controls felt natural if you're used to the DSi. The analog slider worked very well in all the games - no complaints. The d-pad is also in a comfortable position. Once I got a good hands on, my worries about these aspects vanished immediately.

I played the following:

Pilotwings - Played a few rounds of the plane and rocketbelt to get a feel for it. This was the first title I checked out so I was more looking at the 3D effect than the game, but everything looked great and it played very smooth. Looked like a great game for fans of the series.

Street Fighter - Played a couple rounds as Ryu. All moves were easy to pull off using the analog slider, no complaints. It was a lot easier than using a d-pad. The graphics on this one were really impressive.

Dead or Alive - Same as Street Fighter. Looks like a great addition to the series. Very nice graphics.

Steel Diver - Looks really interesting. I had a good 10 minutes or so with this game and didn't scratch the surface. I tried out two of the play modes. The first is kind of like a sub sim. Side view like the sub Metal Slug missions, but you control the sub with two sliders on the touch screen for dive/rise and forward/reverse. You have different types of ammo you can then fire from the sub, and there are many different subs you can choose from that have different stats. The 3D on this game was probably the most detailed of any of the games I played. The ocean looked extremely realistic and in the side view the depth was used very well to create an underwater effect. You could see things at different distances like schools of fish etc.. and the all looked beautiful. The other mode I tried was the periscope mode. In that mode you can move around and it changes where you're looking through the periscope. I don't know if this is the only scene, but in the one I played it was at night during a thunderstorm and the effects were extremely impressive. You can submerge in that mode as well to keep from getting hit, and you can launch torpedoes. Might be a sleeper hit.

Nintendogs +cats - Pretty much like the one for the DS, but with cats as well, and it's in 3D.

Kid Icarus - I played through a flying stage that played like a shooter where everything came at you head on. The enemy fire was really well done and dynamic, and you could see how you dodged the beams in the 3D space very easily. The gameplay was very fast and smooth. I also played through a ground stage basically like a 3D platformer with swords and lots of **** to dodge. It was also done well. Camera perspective is moved around via the L and R bumpers in lieu of a right analog slider, which worked reasonably well.

Resident Evil - Impressive graphics for sure. The demo was extremely limited (small multiplayer map where they load enemies to just run toward you) so I don't feel it's fair to critique the game based on that.

Zelda - Everything you would hope for. Fantastic - they really nailed this one 100%. Picture a highly polished better looking version of Ocarina in 3D. The interface and use of the touch screen was also exceptionally well done.
My feedback from the neo-geo forums:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/itrader.php?u=10822
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

skykid wrote: What about the GBA SP, surely the best redesign ever (by rectifying the original model's invisible screen!)
...until the GB Micro. Liked the SP design, but fancy tiny cute electronic devices more.

On-topic:
Had a first try of HD-3D-TV at a HiFi/TV etc. store in town (WipeOut on PS3 and some ocean fish demo).
Couldn't see **** for the first minute, then saw the stuff like I was completely wasted, started to feel dizzy.
Not so sure about buying a 3DS anymore.
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
gargamel
Please Continue...

Post by gargamel »

Finally, got one with SSF4.
I still dont like the design, but in black, it is not that bad.