Nintendo 3DS

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
Forum rules
ArcadeOtaku forum introduction & rules
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Postby cools » December 19th, 2016, 10:14 am

And when does Pullblox/Pushmo get difficult? Any way of skipping to challenging levels? I've done 50 so far without needing to think.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Postby pubjoe » December 19th, 2016, 11:07 pm

See what I mean by many many practice stages? It's a shame as it's otherwise a really nice game. I haven't played it for a long time but I think it starts getting more challenging around where you are.

I recommend jumping straight into LBW. It'll be refreshing compared to Ocarina and you'll burn yourself out with back-to-back Slogarina style games.

Take a four dungeon slice of Ocarina of Time, pile in loads more side quests and confusion and you have Majora's Mask. I don't want to put you off too much as you do get a lot of satisfaction from it once it all starts locking into place and you can skip time. The feel of the game is very different to OoT. To be honest, I never stuck it through to the end. Got about 75% through. I once fell asleep near a naked dancing man that appears each night to eerie music. I had the worst nightmares I've ever had.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Gamertag: crunchywasp
PSN: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Postby crunchywasp » December 20th, 2016, 7:58 am

I'm having to Grail out away from home at the moment so have been playing Ridge Racer 3D. I'd overlooked 3DS RR but it's great fun and has reminded me why I love RR so much.

pubjoe wrote:I recommend jumping straight into LBW. It'll be refreshing compared to Ocarina and you'll burn yourself out with back-to-back Slogarina style games.

Solid recommendation yo.
geotrig
Potato!
Aliases: geotrig

Postby geotrig » December 20th, 2016, 10:45 am

cant say i've ever put alot of time into the n64 zeldas , my brother loved oot but didnt clear it ..i think it broke him . I would say go with lbw but that because i prefer lttp over all zeldas .

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » December 24th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Binned MM for now, started LGBTW. It's certainly a far superior game. Let's see if it tops the Oracle games and Link's Awakening, which for me are the pinnacle of Zelda titles.
markedkiller78
Not gay, "adventurous"
PSN: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Postby markedkiller78 » December 24th, 2016, 8:11 pm

cools wrote:Binned MM for now, started LGBTW. It's certainly a far superior game. Let's see if it tops the Oracle games and Link's Awakening, which for me are the pinnacle of Zelda titles.

I had to google that; Lady Gaga Born This Way = LGBTW = Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transexual Warrior

That's sure to be better than link to the past sexual experience
Neo_Arcadia wrote:are you simple or something ?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » December 24th, 2016, 9:05 pm

I had it as Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Whatever, but its certainly a better game than the Slogarinas
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » January 25th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Cleared LBW. Not bad at all, I particularly liked the ice level. Less so the shadow one. Loved the whole rental idea, less so upgrading the things as I'd already done the dungeon where they were required by that time, so essentially pointless.

I did manage to figure out everything bar one part - how to get the boots. So before the last dungeon checked a walkthrough and went around bashing trees to collect all the miaimai I'd be unable to.

Nearly cleared the death mountain enemy rush first attempt too. Did it on a flight and started landing in the last room, got distracted when I should've used a potion. Haven't revisited.

Not quite up there with the GB Zelda games but far better than any of the 3D ones I've played. Better than LTTP too. Phenomenal soundtrack and very pretty.

Finding too many of the Picross puzzles are ranked as hard because they require guesswork, or trial and error outside the game to do without error in game. Not as good as Picross DS overall. New one released recently too.

Phoenix Wright next on the list methinks.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » January 25th, 2017, 9:44 pm

OOT summed up.

Amongst others.

Postby 68k » January 28th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Is it worth the hassle to search for dual IPS N3DSXL? What do you guys think?
markedkiller78
Not gay, "adventurous"

Postby markedkiller78 » January 28th, 2017, 2:38 pm

68k wrote:Is it worth the hassle to search for dual IPS N3DSXL? What do you guys think?

No. The top screen is the one angled. Most N3DSXLs have top IPS.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Postby pubjoe » January 28th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Of course not, but does that matter?

I have a Bi, and really the lower TN screen is absolutely fine for purpose. It's not like the backlit GBAs where you immediately notice, and TN screens have their advantages anyway - they're a good fit for handheld gaming.

I think the whole fuss is a bit ridiculous. I googled dual ips and found a youtuber having a big rant. He kept returning his 3DS to Nintendo but they didn't ever replace it with an IPS model. "Unacceptable!". :roll:

I'd just consider it a bonus, but I've wasted time and money on plenty of other things so who am I to judge?
markedkiller78
Not gay, "adventurous"

Postby markedkiller78 » January 28th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Crunchywasp has a double ended XL :problem:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Postby crunchywasp » January 28th, 2017, 3:15 pm

I have a dual IPS one but have had other ones that were most likely TN & IPS. I would never have noticed if I hadn't read about it here. I've seen both models side by side since and still struggled to tell the difference under normal conditions i.e. playing the thing instead of moving it around all over the place and scrutinising it like a man staring at his chode wishing it wasn't a chode.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Postby crunchywasp » January 28th, 2017, 3:20 pm

markedkiller78 wrote:Crunchywasp has a double ended XL :problem:

:hinthint:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » January 28th, 2017, 5:19 pm

For me at least it's along the same lines as the fuss over different CRTs, plasmas, LCDs, DACs, speakers... Generally they all do much the same jobs in their respective families, but it's whether you worry about it or not.

Also mine is Dual IPS so it's best :awe:
markedkiller78
Not gay, "adventurous"

Postby markedkiller78 » January 28th, 2017, 9:12 pm

The bottom screen has a touchscreen on top of it, so it doesn't look as clear as the top one regardless.

I'm a picky bitch when it comes to displays. Top TN on a 3ds looks poor compared to the IPS panel. Bottom, it's negligable at best.

Now, if I was buying my first N3DS, I'd definitely go for a model with a high chance of being dual IPS, but if I already had one (I do) I wouldn't chase one down (I won't)

Edit: tn has a faster response time, in general and lower power consumption. How many minutes that equates to in 3ds game time, or how much better at games that makes you, I dunno.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » January 28th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Bugger all.

Postby 68k » January 28th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Ok, thanks for your opinions on this.

I will try to find a dual IPS model but if i get one with TN displays i won't bother.
I guess weighing some systems is the only somewhat reliable way to tell wether it has IPS or TN displays without opening them. IPS screens are a few grams heavier than TNs so i am going to take heaviest system home. I highly doubt they let me open a dozen systems if at all.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » June 6th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Anyone have some decent eShop-only recommendations? I've been playing BoxBoy which is brilliant, wondering if there's anything else essential I may have missed.

Return to “Home Games”