"Indie Games". What are your favourites?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Re: "Indie Games". What are your favourites?

Post by gargoyle67 »

Cool thanks for the link ;)
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
luke2fr
Please Continue...
Initials: LUK

Post by luke2fr »

Binding of Isaac is my fav since a few months.
Hard and a lot of replay value (read Steam achievements).
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Cave Story+.

What am I missing?

Had some decent chunks of gaming time over the weekend (Switch parental controls logged me about 6.5 hours on it Thursday - Sunday), played through and cleared it without too much trouble providing I kept my weapons maxed. Good portion of that spent retrying one boss where there wasn't an immediate save point beforehand.

It was enjoyable enough, though the difficulty seemed based more on how the decent weapons have a random element to their shot, and suck at every level below max. Maxed you can mow through everything without much issue.

I'm aware there are multiple endings, yet I have no desire to replay it at all. It had some good moments.

Just don't understand the rabid fanbase and accolades it's gotten.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Not sure. Only played it for a few minutes - many years after its release - and it didn't grab me.

Maybe you have to consider that it was first released in 2004. This sort of expanded retro platformer has been redone a lot in Indie games. Perhaps we just have higher expectations now.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Except I've touched virtually none of the other retro-indie-platformers, so while playing I was mentally comparing it with WonderBoy ML and III - and Alex Kidd and TNZS etc.

It looked far nicer on the plasma than it did on the Switch screen mind you.

Wish Yacht Games would hurry up and decide on a physical release of Shovel Knight.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Couldn't be bothered to swap carts in the Switch the other night. Physical releases are good, I made a discovery that if Cave Story+ had been a download I'd never have found out.

Turns out my first play through was on Easy mode. :oops: I knew it wasn't Hard mode, surprised I picked Easy over Normal originally though. Started a game on Hard and noticed the character sprite changed colour. Tried Normal, another colour...

Carried on and played Hard mode for an hour. It's vastly better. I'm hoping there is at least some point during the game where you get life upgrades, though I'm expecting not meaning it's brutally tough. 1-2 hits before Game Over turns the game into a decent challenge where you're forced to get good, bosses are suddenly really tough. If I were rating it - upped from 5/10 to 7/10.

Going to try an extended play of Normal mode soon and see where it sits.

Re-stating: it's unlikely I would have found this out if it were a download.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I agree about Shovel Knight. Nath would like to buy the £20 Switch bundle but I won't let him. Is there / will there be anything extra over the Wii U version with all the free content downloaded?

I'd like the game on Switch myself but there's no incentive. A cheap physical release would do it.
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

Post by jugemscloud »

i downloaded pangemic the other week off steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/547540/panGEMic/

nice little speccy styled platformer if you looking to kill 5 minutes, well designed and responsive controls never had a death that i felt was cheap and its free.

if your into vvvvv or suchlike give it a shot
Last edited by jugemscloud on August 4th, 2017, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

The Treasure Trove is the game plus all DLC now and future. They've said that once all the DLC is done they'll look at a physical.

Which is understandable and pretty consumer friendly. I can wait, plenty of other stuff to play.

Preordered Rime earlier. Have seen nothing except screenshots and a bit of text about it. Hope its good, looks pretty.

And Sine Mora EX too. Which I know wasn't that well received by the shmup crowd originally, but considering how much play I got out of the terrible TransBot on the SMS as a child I'm sure I can find some enjoyment for the price.
Please Continue...

Post by 68k »

Not really my favourite, but "Tembo the Badass Elephant" on PS4 developed by Game Freak is a really good side scroller.
It is just kind of difficult to find because the PSN store is a nightmare to navigate.
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

68k wrote:Not really my favourite, but "Tembo the Badass Elephant" on PS4 developed by Game Freak is a really good side scroller.
It is just kind of difficult to find because the PSN store is a nightmare to navigate.
Totally **** forgot this game existed. Remember seeing it and told myself I needed to pick it up at a later point. Will probs do it soon now. :D
Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Looks great, and amazingly good reviews on Steam. Thanks. I'd never heard of it.
Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

pubjoe wrote:Looks great, and amazingly good reviews on Steam. Thanks. I'd never heard of it.
You can play it on Steam, Ps4, 3ds,..
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Can't remember ever playing a really good "indie" game.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

If shareware/freeware stuff counts from back in the Amiga days, I have a shedload more.

Poing was absolute gold.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

They were more indie than "indie games" I guess.

The definition is stretched even more in games than in music. And then you have stuff that starts out independently published, but gets contracted or sold on. Games don't stop being developed at release anymore. You can't get any less indie than Minecraft now. So **** knows basically.

Most games I've enjoyed recently have been from the (not technically correct) "indie" category. I think Shovel Knight and Undertale are the only two games I've bothered completing in the last two years.

Best indie game ever: Doom.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I always thought of indie games as having an extremely limited development team, as opposed to how they end up published.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Let's go with that. I like to think that too, and I think that's typically what the term describes. Though it sometimes isn't the case either.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I always imagined games in general being made by 1-5 people. Must be deflating to land a job of your dreams this millennia and end up being one of the twelve people aligning brick wall textures.

It must be so hard for big budget games to nurture any kind of creative process. It's no wonder they're all sequels and remakes.

To me now, 'indie games' just describes games that are made like they used to be.

I don't know if this applies to all young people but in Nath's circle of teenage friends, the only games they seem to talk about are indie games.