My new /old cab

Show off your wares.
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

My new /old cab

Post by Paulie »

Not the usual AO fodder, may be better posting over on J+ but here we go :)

I've had a Cosmic Video Amusements 'woody' cabinet must be getting on for 15 years now. It was my first ever cab. It got a lot of use during the first few years of me owing it, but since getting other cabs it got used less and less and had just been sat in a dry garage for at least the last 6 years only getting used for the odd day during the summer. Quite a few other cabs have passed through my hands in that time but for some reason this cab has stayed in my possession. Probably because it's been in stored away for so long.

At least 18 months ago it developed a monitor fault. I was really annoyed as it hadn't missed a beat in all those years of me owing it. It must have known that it's days were numbered as I had pulled it out to take some photographs. I was hoping to sell it and typically that's when the fault started.

I'd been talking to a crunchy friend today and I said I wanted another cab, to play 15K vert games on. Sadly I know getting another candy cab is it's not going to happen soon so I thought I'd go into the garage and have a tinker with the woody.

Bugger me, after 10 minutes with a multi meter I only got her going.

I can't believe it, it was just a loose connection, I must have passed over it several times previously when giving it a visual inspection. Why I didn't get my multi meter out before I don't know. I enjoy tinkering but I'm no tecchy so I'm pretty chuffed with myself. I just need to try and tate it. I don't know if it can be tated yet but I'm going try next week. BTW the monitor is a lovely crisp, burn free, 19", Hanty MTC 9000 (dated Nov 1988).

I won't be surprised if it gets moved over to the gallery of **** as it's just a generic JAMMA woody that's in need a bit of cosmetic TLC. I think I'm gonna tart her up a bit and hold onto her at least for the moment. As I have the pefect space for it, it's cost me nothing and it's a solid, compact little cab that should look decent enough after a little bit of work. Also Mrs P says she prefers the look of traditional wooden cabs to my candy's as that's what she remembers in the UK arcades when we were kids

Excuse my photography, I know it's ****

To do:
Remove that silly capcom sticker on the glass
Touch up the paint work
Re-fit a bit of T-moulding thats coming loose
New Bezel
New marquee
Bulb for coin reject button

If she does turn out to be a keeper then maybe a better button layout, a new CPO and some side art, but we'll see. I'll update when I do something with her.

:)
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: My new /old cab

Post by crunchywasp »

Good job on getting it running after a that time :clap:

I like it :) It looks a good size, inoffensive and in pretty good shape. If it holds some sentimental value then all the better I reckon :awe:

Look forward to seeing you work your magic 8-)
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Nice cab. Seems to be harder to find nice plain woodies nowadays than it was back then.
grainflavour
Please Continue...
eBay: grain-flavour

Post by grainflavour »

Really nice! The joysticks look too modern for such a cab though
virtvic
eBay: virtvic
Initials: VAC

Post by virtvic »

I like it :D

I'd also leave the sticks and Capcom sticker alone, they're fine. Just get a Capcom marquee for it to complete the look.

Give http://www.trentplastics.co.uk a shout to cut you 2 pieces of 3mm perspex to make a 'sandwich' marquee up and you're done!
virtvic
eBay: virtvic
Initials: VAC

Post by virtvic »

Maybe something like this?
WoodyCab.jpg
:awe:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Yeah, the sticker is fine, no need to worry about that. :)
Emulation's nice when done well
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

:lol: awesome sandwich marquee.

Thanks for going gentle on this one. When I first bought it, I thought it was just amaze :awe:

This isn't going to be a restoration thread like with my other cabs. All I'll be doing is making it presentable so it doesn't look like a a giant dog turd in an otherwise nice little games room. IMHO it's worth spending a few hours on getting it in decent shape as it's got a lot more going for it than against it. For a generic JAMMA woody it's small, plain and inofensive and on the tech side it's JAMMA wired, has a nice burn free monitor and everything is now in full working order.

This morning I gave the cab a really good clean, both inside and out. The sticks, buttons and CPO have come up nicely and look pretty much like new. I also switched the giant sanwa dust washers for some smaller ones. Loving the western perfectly stright button layout :roll:

I removed the Capcom sticker even though a couple of people said don't. Came off really quickly using a window scraper and a bit of rubbing with some lighter fluid. Sorry but it was really bugging me :oops:
Before

After

Touched up the scruffy and scraped sides, this has worked out really well. I also tapped the T-molding back into place
Before

After

Just need to buy a marquee, a carboard monitor mask and get that coin mech light working and she's good to go.

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Well done! :thumbupright:

Now don't get me wrong but for some reason I think a hacked SF2 bootleg would do well in that thing. 8-)
Emulation's nice when done well
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

The CPO isn't to my taste, doesn't really gel with the black cab. Though with a marquee with a similar colour scheme it might work better.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

I really like what you've done with it, also, I see nothing wrong with the CPO overlay nor the button layout. I would just ask you wife what she thinks looks the best and oblige her, seeing as she like this cab, it's a nice peace offering. :awe:
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

TheRedKnight wrote:Well done! :thumbupright:

Now don't get me wrong but for some reason I think a hacked SF2 bootleg would do well in that thing. 8-)
Yeah I know what you mean, exactly the kind of cab I played SF rainbow / black belt editions on :awe:
cools wrote:The CPO isn't to my taste, doesn't really gel with the black cab. Though with a marquee with a similar colour scheme it might work better.
I know where you are coming from with that, I don't mind the CPO but if I were to replace it/make another CP I would like to have something a little more retro looking, maybe black and bright colour/s (striped) I'm thinking like a Lordsvale or an electrocoin CPO.
emphatic wrote:I really like what you've done with it, also, I see nothing wrong with the CPO overlay nor the button layout. I would just ask you wife what she thinks looks the best and oblige her, seeing as she like this cab, it's a nice peace offering. :awe:
Thanks Emph :)
I think thats a great Idea, I'll go through some Marquees with Mrs P and let her choose one :awe:
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

:awe: looks great mate :thumbup:
I know from your previous work that it'll turn out looking top(she's a pretty ting already though) :)
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Looks well Paul 8-)
TheRedKnight wrote:Now don't get me wrong but for some reason I think a hacked SF2 bootleg would do well in that thing. 8-)
It would definitely suit a hacked SF2 or Final Fight 8-)
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

IDCHAPPY wrote::awe: looks great mate :thumbup:
I know from your previous work that it'll turn out looking top(she's a pretty ting already though) :)
Thanks Ian thats very kind of you to say :) How's your Naomi coming along? was looking ace when I last saw your thread :D
crunchywasp wrote:Looks well Paul 8-)
TheRedKnight wrote:Now don't get me wrong but for some reason I think a hacked SF2 bootleg would do well in that thing. 8-)
Cheers Mark.

Final Fight :think:
Hell Yeah! 8-)
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

Paulie wrote:
IDCHAPPY wrote::awe: looks great mate :thumbup:
Thanks Ian thats very kind of you to say :) How's your Naomi coming along? was looking ace when I last saw your thread :D
crunchywasp wrote:Looks well Paul 8-)
Cheers Mark.

Final Fight :think:
Hell Yeah! 8-)

Got her fired up today :D , worked like a charm dude, today was a good day in my arcade testing world :thumbup:
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

Nice one mate 8-)

Theres nothing like that feeling you get just before flicking the switch for the first time.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

HI Paulie,

I'm glad you dusted this bad boy down - I always thought it had potential (maybe because I thought it was a Lordsvale despite being corrected a few times)

Fantastic monitor "repair" d00d - I'm glad it was something ... erm ... inexpensive ;)

Lookin' good in the rest of the restore 8-)

Just remember that the better you make it look, the less of an authentic 90's Arcade experience you'll get :awe:

Nice work.

Cheers buddy,

Ralph.
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

AeroCityMayor wrote:Lookin' good in the rest of the restore 8-)
Cheers buddy :awe:
AeroCityMayor wrote:Just remember that the better you make it look, the less of an authentic 90's Arcade experience you'll get :awe:
Thats very true.

If I want it to be just like a cab from the local arcade of my youth I better get some fag burns on the CPO, pop a couple none working buttons in just to keep players on their toes and switch the joystick out for one that ocasionally sticks :lol:
EllertMichael
Initials: EME

Post by EllertMichael »

Do you pelvic thrust into the cab every time you start a new credit? :awe: