Zero wing video and/or object ram error-solution

Fixed a PCB? Tell us how!
Forum rules
You can add Repair Logs to the Wiki here.
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Zero wing video and/or object ram error-solution

Post by rugdoctor »

The original Toaplan board was booting up with fore mentioned errors and garbled graphics. Sometimes gameplay will run and sound right but graphics was messed up. I reflowed the custom chip next to the dipswitches and also the smaller chip following it and problem gone.

image.jpg
image.jpg
TGIF

:awe:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RMRM

Re: Zero wing video and/or object ram error-solution

Post by RMRM »

Great!

:slowclap:
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

I know how much time you put into that. Great work :thumbup:
rugdoctor
Please Continue...

Post by rugdoctor »

Really apprehensive in doing smd reflow at first but was a walk in the park after I took some beta blockers 8-)
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rugdoctor
Please Continue...

Post by rugdoctor »

Just a more details on fix:

I received the board as part of my haul and it booted up with proper game-play and music, however, the graphics were wrong or missing. Rather than tossing it aside and moving to the next board, I decided to troubleshoot it. When the board is placed on the vertical orientation, the game will not boot and instead comes up with a "object ram error" or sometimes "video ram error". I firstly checked the pins on solder side of the board to make sure nothing is touching together and manage to find a couple of dry solder joints which I touched up.

Still getting the error after the initial touch ups so I proceeded to look at the custom chips. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, but I notice that a slight pressure on two of the chips yielded perfect graphics and game-play. This lead me to up-skill in the smd way of soldering specifically re-flowing those damn custom chips.

These are the two troublesome chips:

1. The BCU-2 and
2. the custom chip on the "F" position of the board.

So I proceeded to re-flow them with great success! As I was greeted with perfect gameplay.

I finally cleaned up the residual lacquer and sprayed on a new coat to extend the life of the board.