Legendary Wings, or: How to burn traces on your supergun..

Fixed a PCB? Tell us how!
Forum rules
You can add Repair Logs to the Wiki here.
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Legendary Wings, or: How to burn traces on your supergun..

Post by Asure »

Got a Legendary Wings from a friend to look at. Boardset looked very clean, main program roms were replaced or re-flashed at some point, they had non-original labels.
Visual inspection didn't show anything odd with it other than a missing volume pot, and empty socket near the middle.
Note, this was my second Capcom classic pcb (1942 being the first) that i looked at.
Offcourse, i forgot that 1942 also ate the +5v track on my smallcab supergun/test rig setup twice before, but more on that later..

I set out to rig up a quick classic adapter. GND, +5V, rgb/sync, what more could i need?
Eager to test out the newly soldered gimmick, i plugged the adapter into the board, and the board into my test rig. I double checked the edge connector for proper contact, as i burned out a PSU about 15 years ago when i started collecting. (The GND and +5 were bridged on some crappy bootleg board with no key and sloppy edge connector.)

Flicked the switch of my PC psu aaaaand... i was greeted to some magic smoke, and the smell of burning copper, so quickly turned it off.
The PC PSU has protection for this, but i guess the small copper track on the smallcab supergun burns fast and didn't trip as quick as i would expect. Oh well.

Once again, i restored the burned track on the smallcab pcb with some copper desoldering braid, triple checking for shorts, tested with Football Champ, and all was OK. Everyone should own at least one Football champ. Or Gals Panic. Great testing pcbs.. ;)

So back to the Legendary wings. Metered GND+5V and they appear to be connected, very little resistance.. Checked the board for soldering blobs and other mishaps.. nothing wrong. Plastic board standoffs, fine too. (The 1942 i had mentioned before actually had copper board standoffs which could wiggle onto the +5V and GND areas..)
More metering later, i find GND connects to the bottom board's +5V too, which seems odd. Checked the ribbon cables, and found what the problem was.

Before my friend got the PCB, some clever chap must have found it somewhere, with two separate boards. The bottom board was connected 'parts up'. Comparing to 1942 showed me that the bottom board should have the parts side out, solder side 'facing in' so to say. I restored the bottom board to its proper orientation and metered everywhere to ensure i would not burn my test rig again.
Powered it up.. and nothing. :( Mailed the friend the board may have burned, and put it away for the next evening.

So back to the drawing board. The friend mailed back later, if i had found the sub board he packed separately.. A quick dig into the box yielded the missing part, but it had two missing legs and a set of badly bent pins. After gently attempting to bend back, i ended up with four missing legs.. Nabbed a bunch of machined socket's pins, and soldered those onto the sub board legs, problem solved.

With the sub board back in place, i gave the PCB another go. It showed a bit of corruption, wavy screen.. no game. no errors. no ram rom tests, nothing.
Checked the roms, re-seated, and was greeted to a game running with corrupted video/backgrounds & some sort of jailbar as well. Pushing on the roms made the game crash, and it never game back..
Removed the roms, and found rom #3 was so rusted, three of its feet broke off in the socket. A fourth foot was already loose from my pushing/re-seating actions.
Burned three new 512's with doubled-up data, and got the game back to it's corrupted background. Started to think about bad rams at this point.
Before i went crazy with the desoldering, i removed the remaining roms from the top board, and dumped them. Mask rom LW05 gave three weird reads, and didn't match anything in MAME. The rest checked out OK.

LW05 is a 27C128, so i quadrupled the data and popped in a 27C512. Was greeted to a proper running game, with no jailbars, all 100%. The joy of repairing!
Put a new volume pot in, and added 12V, Speaker+/- to the adapter, audio works perfectly!
Added 1P inputs, coin, start to the adapter, game plays 100%, repair finished!

Nothing else to add, other than adding that this is a damn hard game, not much fun for one credit if you never played it before!.. ;)

Things learned from this repair:
- Check the box for missing parts
- Check the resistance/cont on +5V/GND
- Look online for pictures of the board if it's a stack, maybe some nitwit put them together the wrong way..
- Wall of text may put people off.
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Re: Legendary Wings, or: How to burn traces on your supergun

Post by KmanSweden »

Good pointers. Thanks. :)
Up the Irons!
julius blaze
Please Continue...
eBay: pincer_attack

Re: Legendary Wings, or: How to burn traces on your supergun

Post by julius blaze »

Wall of text was awesome, good repair I'd be proud of myself for that one! 8-)