X-Men Childern of the Atom

Fixed a PCB? Tell us how!
Forum rules
You can add Repair Logs to the Wiki here.
Rossyra
Supermod

X-Men Childern of the Atom

Post by Rossyra »

This one looked fatal. The game was booting with badly corrupted sprites. Upon opening it up it looked like extensive corrosion from a leaked battery, on both sides of the PCB. Xmen's own battery was intact though, so I can only assume the cart was stored in a stack where a battery from another game exploded and took this game with it on the the way out with the acid passing between the vents.

What looked like around 20 traces were black. This is the custom nearest the vent, you can see one of the legs is gone are well as some of the trace damage, this is after I cleaned off the residue.

I honestly thought this was beyond saving, or at best would require extensive trace repair as well as exposing the internal tracks of that custom to solder to. Anyway I thought I would have a stab and see what came of it.

The missing pin is a ground line, so I couldn't have been any luckier there. The custom has mutiple grounds, I assume to share the burden of the load. I reflowed all of the remaining legs on this side, just to be sure, as some of them were noticeably loose.

After that I started testing the traces for continuity. A lot of the blackened traces were still reading fine for continuity. There was one in particular that was completely gone so I patched the full length of the trace straight from the chip with single strand of kynar.

I figured I may as well check what effect this had and whether not I was making any progress.

lol? I still can't quite believe that fixed it. To look at it, some of the traces look like they aren't even there any more. Oh well! :awe:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: X-Men Childern of the Atom

Post by cools »

You missed the end of the log, the bit where you convert it to Progear or HSF2 and flog it on eBay.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

How very dare you! :evil:

Iknowrite, it's all anyone does with CPS-2 these days. :problem:
Elgen
Please Continue...
Initials: ELG

Post by Elgen »

Very nice log };-P
http://elgensrepairs.blogspot.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/elgensrepairs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;