Help on repairing/swapping Blast City Nanao monitor

For monitor related issues
fubarduck
Please Continue...
eBay: fubarduck

Help on repairing/swapping Blast City Nanao monitor

Post by fubarduck »

I have a Nanao Blast City monitor (with the analog controls) that started going extremely dim. Here are some photos of the analog controls, and the monitor chassis:
photo.jpg
photo(2).jpg
photo(3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Re: Help on repairing/swapping Blast City Nanao monitor

Post by fubarduck »

I wanted to try replacing it with my friend's 31khz monitor pulled from a Net City, which has these connectors:
photo(4).jpg
Is it possible to use this monitor with some kind of adapter, or would I need something else? Is there any other way I can fix my extremely dim CRT?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

change the electrolitic cap on ther neck card
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

grantspain wrote:change the electrolitic cap on ther neck card
If I took a picture, could you show me which cap to replace?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

it will be large electrolitic capacitor probably 250v 10uf,but if you post a photo I will point it out
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

On the neck card dude...
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

Devil Soundwave wrote:On the neck card dude...
You can either make fun of me for not knowing obscure information about monitors, or you could point me to a guide telling me where the neck card is and how to access it.
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

The neck card, like the name implies, is the PCB attached to the neck of the monitor.

It's shaped like a square.
хорошо!
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

zorahk wrote:The neck card, like the name implies, is the PCB attached to the neck of the monitor.

It's shaped like a square.
Do you know how I would access that on a Blast City?
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

Well I'm assuming since you took the pictures of your chassis it should be right in front of you no?

Should have some wires coming off it attaching it to the chassis...

You can remove the neck board by simply pulling it backwards gently. Don't shake from side to side since that will bend the pins, just move straight back.

That's it.
хорошо!
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

zorahk wrote:Well I'm assuming since you took the pictures of your chassis it should be right in front of you no?
There is only a small opening on the back of a Blast City to see into the chassis/monitor area. I took those pictures with the camera inside that area. I'm not sure if I would be able to reach the neck board like this, I'll take another picture to demonstrate if I'm unable to access.
jonny

Post by jonny »

the best course of action will be to disconnect any connections inside the cabinet and remove the monitor and chasis from the cabinet. any alterations to the chasis/neck board will require you to take the monitor out anyhow and you'll be able to take much much better pictures. just be careful and set the monitor in a place where you have space to work around it and assess it's condition.
MrMikeLU
Please Continue...

Post by MrMikeLU »

in other words, since youre going to replace something, you have to take the monitor out anyway.
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

Alrighty, got some pics of the neckboard. I'm assuming it's the capacitor under the thick black wire on the first image.

I did this from the back of the cabinet (turns out there is a metal enclosure on the Blast City that must be removed before you can access the neckboard). The main problem is I don't seem to be able to undo all the connections from the neckboard to remove it to work on. There are a ton of wires coming from it, and a couple of them don't like they can be unattached. I wouldn't mind working on the neckboard while it's still attached to the monitor, but it's also very difficult to tell which points the cap is going to from the bottom of the PCB. The second photo is the back of the neckboard.

Anyway, if anyone can confirm that this is the cap I need to replace, I would really appreciate some tips on how to best work on this.
photo.jpg
photo(2).jpg
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

fubarduck wrote:Alrighty, got some pics of the neckboard. I'm assuming it's the capacitor under the thick black wire on the first image.

I did this from the back of the cabinet (turns out there is a metal enclosure on the Blast City that must be removed before you can access the neckboard). The main problem is I don't seem to be able to undo all the connections from the neckboard to remove it to work on. There are a ton of wires coming from it, and a couple of them don't like they can be unattached. I wouldn't mind working on the neckboard while it's still attached to the monitor, but it's also very difficult to tell which points the cap is going to from the bottom of the PCB. The second photo is the back of the neckboard.

Anyway, if anyone can confirm that this is the cap I need to replace, I would really appreciate some tips on how to best work on this.
photo.jpg
photo(2).jpg
as everybody and there cat has already said, take the monitor out of the cab.....you cannot work on it properly otherwise
on the loose
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

I can take the monitor out and work on it but I still need to confirm that this is the cap I need to replace.
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

Can't really see anything in the pic so like everyone else is saying take the damn thing out.
хорошо!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

The neck card will have some soldered connections to the chassis as they are a pair and are supposed to remain together.

Disconnect the power and signal wiring from the cabinet, and pull the monitor out. (Does a Blast City contain a framed monitor?)
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

So I replaced the cap on the neckboard with a brand new one; now the monitor doesn't turn on when the cabinet turns on. I didn't reverse polarity on the cap, and the fuse on the chassis is fine. However, the LED on the neckboard does not light up. Any clue what went wrong?