New Astro city ms9-29s bottom screen bulges out

For monitor related issues
Hrvat9
eBay: hrvaat

New Astro city ms9-29s bottom screen bulges out

Post by Hrvat9 »

So my monitor takes some time to fill the screen(3-5 mins) after turning it on but always has this bend at the bottom right and a slight bend at the top left
Is this an adjustment that is fixable with the chassis pots? Or is this a new cap kit issue(meaning I need a cap kit done) ?

I also noticed that the whole screen moves like a wave ever so slightly but fast. You wouldn't notice it unless you're really looking
Last edited by Hrvat9 on July 5th, 2017, 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
candy: Sega New Astro City x2, Sega Versus City (sold)
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: What is this problem called ? New Astro city

Post by grantspain »

nanao ms9-29?
probably cap related
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

I'm an idiot forgot to post the picture T_T
I actually never even checked what monitor it actually is , I just went by what the internet tells me x_x
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

The wave is commonly caused by the filter cap needing to be replaced. It is the biggest cap on the chassis.

"Pin cushion" and similar effects are almost always cap related. Somebody correct me if there's something unique about the NAC's, for either of the 2 issues in question.

Given the filter cap likely needs replacing, and you'll already have the chassis out of the cab with your solder equipment warmed up, might as well do the whole cap kit. :thumbupright: And if that isn't causing the pin cushion problems, you can check off the caps as the cause.
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

NoAffinity wrote:The wave is commonly caused by the filter cap needing to be replaced. It is the biggest cap on the chassis.

"Pin cushion" and similar effects are almost always cap related. Somebody correct me if there's something unique about the NAC's, for either of the 2 issues in question.

Given the filter cap likely needs replacing, and you'll already have the chassis out of the cab with your solder equipment warmed up, might as well do the whole cap kit. :thumbupright: And if that isn't causing the pin cushion problems, you can check off the caps as the cause.
Ahh so that's what "pin cushion" looks like ok now I know :). Cap kit it is! where can I purchase a cap kit ? I still need to check what chassis I have...
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/ is where I get all my cap kits from, and is probably a good option for you in Canada, assuming they have the kit for your chassis. Note that you will have to order the filter cap separately on the web site, so make note of the value while you're ID'ing the chassis. The capacitance rating must match, but the voltage rating can be equal or greater. You may already know that, but just in case.

If the above site doesn't have the kit for your chassis, https://iankellogg.com/ is another good option.
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

NoAffinity wrote:https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/ is where I get all my cap kits from, and is probably a good option for you in Canada, assuming they have the kit for your chassis. Note that you will have to order the filter cap separately on the web site, so make note of the value while you're ID'ing the chassis. The capacitance rating must match, but the voltage rating can be equal or greater. You may already know that, but just in case.

If the above site doesn't have the kit for your chassis, https://iankellogg.com/ is another good option.

Thank you for the links :D I'll make sure to remember to get the filter cap too!
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

be wary of those caps kits,one person makes a mistake in listing them and the next thing you know you have a ton of capped chassis that don't work
remember what you take out goes back in, you can go up in voltage and the uf can be a little off but not much--but try to keep exactly like for like
security0001
Please Continue...
eBay: security0001
Initials: PDM

Post by security0001 »

NoAffinity wrote:https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/ is where I get all my cap kits from, and is probably a good option for you in Canada, assuming they have the kit for your chassis. Note that you will have to order the filter cap separately on the web site, so make note of the value while you're ID'ing the chassis. The capacitance rating must match, but the voltage rating can be equal or greater. You may already know that, but just in case.

thanks chris....
Selling cap kits, flybacks, tons of parts, specialize in 100% nichicon 105C cap kits.
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/
security0001
Please Continue...
eBay: security0001
Initials: PDM

Post by security0001 »

grantspain wrote:be wary of those caps kits,one person makes a mistake in listing them and the next thing you know you have a ton of capped chassis that don't work
remember what you take out goes back in, you can go up in voltage and the uf can be a little off but not much--but try to keep exactly like for like

i would agree and that's because too many vendors copy other people's mistakes, but you won't find that with our kits.
Selling cap kits, flybacks, tons of parts, specialize in 100% nichicon 105C cap kits.
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

security0001 wrote:
grantspain wrote:be wary of those caps kits,one person makes a mistake in listing them and the next thing you know you have a ton of capped chassis that don't work

i would agree and that's because too many vendors copy other people's mistakes, but you won't find that with our kits.

Bought a cap kit from you before and was pleased. Will definitely buy from you again:)
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

security0001 wrote:

thanks chris....
heh, about time you showed up over here. :-D
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

Revisiting this again
Test grid: any way to fix this before cap kit? pincushion moves the middle in and out but not the bottom
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Re: New Astro city ms9-29s bottom screen bulges out

Post by wigsplitta »

I'd definitely recommend going the cap kit route first if you're comfortable with doing the work.

My NAC showed the same issue and got progressively worse. If you start adjusting the pots, then you'll just have to re-adjust them all back again once it gets too bad and really does require a cap replacement.

A cap kit job by grantspain worked wonders on mine, without any pot adjustment at all :awe:

Before:

After:
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

wigsplitta wrote:I'd definitely recommend going the cap kit route first if you're comfortable with doing the work.

My NAC showed the same issue and got progressively worse. If you start adjusting the pots, then you'll just have to re-adjust them all back again once it gets too bad and really does require a cap replacement.

A cap kit job by grantspain worked wonders on mine, without any pot adjustment at all :awe:

Before:

After:

Wow and only a cap kit? That screen looks amazing, Im sold. Cap kit coming up!
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
666sbm
Please Continue...
eBay: felipe-jere
Initials: 666

Post by 666sbm »

thath looks very much like the problems im having... but:

is a wei ya 828 compatible with a 29 inch monitor?

current status
astro capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.